R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #46
Tech Master

HarKonnenD, you can't read dude and you have me confused with someone else like I said in my post if you read the whole post the spinning out problems were solved by my extra wide Calandra Racing Products tires. How are those lightweight gears gonna help keep my R-40 from spinning out ?? If anything they are going to make it spin out more because they weight less you reduced the rotational mass on the drivetrain so the motor is going to spin up faster, that is good for those .12 motors but not my .18 that has plenty of hp and torque. I don't need nor want those 08 gears because I have plenty of bottom end punch with what I am running and the 08's don't offer me the ratio I want for second gear.

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 02-24-2008 at 07:49 AM.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:33 AM   #47
Tech Master

Arboleda you may have to do a little shimming to get things just right but they should just fit right on there. Calandra Racing Concepts sells them there website is http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/
Old 02-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #48
Tech Master

My latest 1/10 Outlaw a Nitro TC-3 with a .28
Old 02-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
HarKonnenD, you can't read dude and you have me confused with someone else like I said in my post if you read the whole post the spinning out problems were solved by my extra wide Calandra Racing Products tires. How are those lightweight gears gonna help keep my R-40 from spinning out ?? If anything they are going to make it spin out more because they weight less you reduced the rotational mass on the drivetrain so the motor is going to spin up faster, that is good for those .12 motors but not my .18 that has plenty of hp and torque. I don't need nor want those 08 gears because I have plenty of bottom end punch with what I am running and the 08's don't offer me the ratio I want for second gear.
I can't read? You cant race (legal) - you need a .18 to win against other cars. (jk but its true ) The .8 module gears are smaller and rotate more because they are smaller, but that is not enough to make the drivetrain super light. You will need the LW front 2speed shaft and middle shaft to get the best performance. Remember I too had an R40, have upgraded/dialed in, and race and now in the hands of a mainly electric sedan/pan car driver who is now ready for some nitro while doing surprisingly well. I am well aware of the cars capabilities and tuning. Wasn't a Hara kit but still mildly upgraded. It's like yesterdays news to me. What gear ratio are you looking for? You doknow even over 35k RPM the TZ STILL has well over 1.2hp to pull even some of todays cars ratios? Also, there is a tuned version of the .18TZ with better gas mileage and even more power which is ridiculous. A nice motor for a speed project strapped in an HPI Super Nitro or something.

Arboleda - The width of the tire itself is wider, but has some offset to prevent the tire from rubbing on hubs. As said additional shimming may be required. Just be sure not to use too many shims otherwise the wheel nuts won't fully fit on the threaded shaft and fall off during a run.
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #50
Tech Master

HarKonnenD,we don't care about being legal!! We are a band of Outlaws hardly anybody in or group runs a .12 most of us run modified .15's, .18's and .21's. The guy I beat up on with the .12 has sold it and put a .18 in his car now. And my final gear ratio for 2nd is taller than what the .08 has to offer. Yes a clean track and traction solution is part of the equation for more traction but car setup and hp of your motor play a part too and when you have a high output motor sometimes you need wider tires to get the grip you need.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #51
Tech Master

Arboleda I had to use a regular nut and put red locktite on to secure the tire to the axle and it has never come off.

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 02-24-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Never understood why we needed two classes with "Lola bodies"(235mm). Never understood why 200mm nitro "took off" when better chassis where available to run touring car bodies on. Track size? Don't b.s. me with money. Whats a 353 cost? I watched a 235mm 4wd race that required the use of touring bodies and 4 port engine's and was blown away. After witnessing this I looked at my MTX-2 and wondered why I spent the money...shortly after 235 meet it's demise
Old 02-25-2008, 01:25 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Nitrohead - Ahh I did guess right. Well outlaw class is cool I guess. Sorry I just grow out of that stuff. I'm surprised you couldn't find the right ratio for 2nd on the .8 being it has far more options than the stock. Meh, whatever works.

MugenDrew - The cost for the 235mm class was more than a sedan and close to that of an 8th onroad. So people decided it had to be 8th onroad or sedan instead. Too bad because those .15BB engines lasted longer than both .12s and .21s
Old 02-25-2008, 05:50 AM   #54
Tech Master

HarKonnenD, as usually you got it backwards you don't start off running Outlaw you grow into it. You have to develope tuning skills and driving skills because you are running a more powerful motor. And what make you think my clutch is stock ?? Gears and Spurs, Pinions are not stock Hpi .

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 02-25-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:12 AM   #55
Tech Elite

lol...no you don't have to grow into it - you just pick a class and run it. I never said anything bout a clutch or the 2speed was stock I assumed you tried to find a gear ratio setting. The .8 has a much wider gear ratio option anyway, but that's just my preference. Tuning skills has nothing to do with outlaw. It's required for running nitro vehicles in general. All this R40 talk reminds me of my two kits one V12 Rody powered and the other with the TR w/ 3racing parts in the past. I ran 8th before sedan being I had the MRX4 and after getting better with that came back to sedan to then own two mugens. Now sedan is my main class and plan to get into 8th onroad again and 8th buggy. This time for offroad I'd go with a better vehicle possibly Mugen or Kyosho.

Not bashing in you (note we are the only 2 keeping this thread going ), but its that at my track we run legal .12 3 port/turbo 3 port. Guys in the past always kept trying to slip 5 port sleeves and cranks into their motors just to win. For us 5 port would be in the outlaw class, which has died out. If they need that much more power and have to cheat to win then well tell them don't bother racing because the competition is too much for you. Such power increase isn't necessary when there are plenty powerful 3 port .12s on the market. We just frown upon them or others with outlaw motors showing up on the track bragging of winning so we just school them and send home home crying. We try to keep the track atmosphere pleasant and fun for everyone. At least now everyone is following the rules and only brag of who's the better driver which isn't noobish compared to arguing who has the faster motor. It's like the guy at my track with his .18cvr powered RS4 3 who keeps thinking of beating me and all the others racers. For him that just won't happen...ever. He was disposed of with a .12TZ powered sedan. I'd love to see what he will run this yr.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #56
Tech Master

Yeah I know we are the only 2 people keeping this thread going. And yes you do need to develope tuning and driving skills before you go Outlaw or else you will not be able to control your car. It is cool that you all run is those little .12 size motors but we want more speed and power and more of a challenge so we run big blocks. We have smoked alot of guys running hot .12 But in closing it is all about what floats your boat you like your mighty mouse motors we like our big blocks. The extra wide tires which is the topic of this thread to me are just another tuning option you can choose to use or not. I do believe they would help on parking lot tracks. If you want to use them then do, if not don't .

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 02-26-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #57
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

what we need is 1/8 with real bodies made in the last 30 years.....like a touring car
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

While some of you are here complaining, I'll be ordering this to try out. It's a set of tires and bodies not a whole new chasis....lol
Old 04-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Francis M - LOL, not that we are complaining it's just that people tried this long before in the past back when most of us had our training wheels on when still learning the ropes with nitro RC. Infact, this idea been out before the NTC3 hit the market. It may be something to try, but most of us just feel there is no hype and not necessary. Regardless try it out and let us know what you think.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

I might just have to give it a try more downforce wider tires sounds like a good combination.