R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-10-2003, 03:18 PM   #91
Tech Regular

first i would like to thank everyone for there opinions on both cars but i have a few more questions. how is support at major races from both companies? second what should be the price range i should look to spend on either one if i bought itn used?
jiggamacdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:57 AM   #92
Tech Apprentice

If you mean sponsership they both are well backed.You will find more online stores with mugen parts then serpent.Its hard to find good prices on either one used since they are so new.generally the mugen kit costs less( I bought mine locally with mr12 for $500)The serpent has a ball diff as apposed to the gear diff mugen has which accounts for the higher price.I am not bias because I've owned impulses and impacts.It was hard to resist so much of the positive feedback from local drivers with the mtx.I was skeptical about the fuel tank not being centered as far as balance like the 705,but when i put both cars together side by side and noticed the difference in cg (motor,servo)and the top tray layout,it became an easy choice.I think the biggest reason though was the efficiancy of the drivetrain compared to the serpent.Most serpent drivers I know have swapped out the stock gearing by necessity to keep up with mugens.I'm not sure you have as many spur pinion-gearing options on the serpent,they are basically tapped out.
alvinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 04:40 PM   #93
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to JoshVilleneuve Send a message via Yahoo to JoshVilleneuve

The S. Florida guys are all switching to the Mugen because they really handle well from one track to the next. I have the old mtx2 car and was very pleased with it out of the box. Then I bought an impulse pro that I found much harder to set-up right, but once set-up I was much faster with it, and it stayed hooked up.
All the touring cars are about equal in terms of handling. It's all about the set-up that is fastest, given equal driving abilities.
Just last weekend, I went out to practice, and I encountered several guys with the mugens. They were al faster than me down the straight, but I could out-drive them all through the infield and they had trouble getting past me. Once the serpent is set-up right, it's hard to beat..!!
JoshVilleneuve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 11:50 AM   #94
Tech Apprentice

I agree with josh,any car set up right is hard to beat.The guys with impulses have been dialing in their cars for years now and the 705 is basically the same so theres some advantage there.Josh what track do you run on?Where I go the fastest drivers all have mtx3's.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:56 AM   #95
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

I'm still trying to get a good setup for my 705.. Corse I have only raced it twice so far.. One day i'll get it.
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 01:58 PM   #96
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Bxclip

whats easier to build the serpent 705 or the mugen mtx-3? i heard the serpent is so im leaning towards the mtx-3 but ima wait for the hpi r40 to get a new car
Bxclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 08:22 PM   #97
Tech Apprentice

I have built both(mtx3.impulse,impact)they are about the same to build.Instructions are a little better on the serpent in my oppinion but I had to ream some parts on the serpent as well.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:10 PM   #98
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to JoshVilleneuve Send a message via Yahoo to JoshVilleneuve

Hey Alvin(eh?), I race all over hte country when I can. I live in Plantation, and race (mostly electric) with Coral Springs RoadRunners. I also run at Go Racing, but they don't race seriously:
Where do you run at? My brother lives in PP.
Josh
Old 07-15-2003, 08:16 PM   #99
Tech Initiate

Hey Alvin(eh?), I race all over hte country when I can. I live in Plantation, and race (mostly electric) with Coral Springs RoadRunners. I also run at Go Racing, but they don't race seriously:
Where do you run at? My brother lives in PP.
Josh
Old 07-17-2003, 06:38 AM   #100
Tech Apprentice

I usually go wed. night to go racing and some saturday mornings.That track really beats up your car but its freeWe have a little group that goes out there complete with trailer,ac generator...We are planning to go out to coral springs,we heard its really tight and designed for electrics,true?
Old 07-17-2003, 09:46 PM   #101
Tech Initiate

Coral Springs is one of the best tracks i've raced on. The surface is smooth, it is well kept, lots of traction, and the nitro sedan class has become the most popular now. I hear the owner has sold the track within the last 2 weeks, but it is a really nice track. They have electricity, but bring your own table. They also have a huge off-road track.
Odd frequencies for on-road, even frequency for off-road; and they race at the same time!!
See you there man!
Old 07-18-2003, 01:10 PM   #102
Tech Apprentice

Cool,sounds like I'll be able to run with 40's all around there.Whats the fee for saturdays and do you have to show roar card?
Old 07-18-2003, 10:56 PM   #103
Tech Initiate

Yeah it's a ROAR track. You can buy 1-day membership, but if you run gas dude, you need to get RAR membership, for insurance purposes!
$5 for sat practice, and 10 for sunday racing.
Check it out man. 40's are the ticket!
They spray the track too!! And they get good racers, like Alex Lopez, Dave Vera.
Hope to see you man, if no rain!