R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #556
Tech Apprentice

Hi Josh, how were your testings? did you find something that makes the car work even better? did you test the tunning radioplate?
Thank you for your help
Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #557
Tech Master

Roedor - I wouldn't say better, just different. This weekend we had some rain in Toledo on Friday and Saturday so the track was quite slick. Lap times were nearly 2 seconds a lap slower at the begining than at the MWS race so I still tested a lot but really nothing that made a huge difference. By the end, the track was still about 1 second off but I felt it was still a good test.

I tested using a standard battery in the stock battery plate vs. a brass battery plate with a lipo (same overall weight) but thought maybe the slight difference in cg and chassis stiffness would be noticable. It was very minor on the low traction and I actually went back and forth 3-4 times without feeling any major difference. Lap times were the same.

I did test with taking out the radio plate stiffeners and without them the car was more forgiving and had a little more rear grip. The thing with Toledo is though with the two tight chicanes you really need the car to change direction very quickly and without the stiffeners the car was lazy through those chicanes. I was suprised that they made such a difference in the feel where the brass vs. standard battery tray was so minimal. Either way, lap times with/without the stiffeners were the same as I was faster in some spots with and faster in others without....

With the rain on Saturday, we only had about 1/3 of the day of testing so I lost out on testing the tunning radio plate. I still would like to test that though with and without the stiffeners to see how it responds.

I also tested with gearing (which is much better now), manifold, body mount centering post height (prefer all the way down) and front droop. Overall, I was quite happy with the car at the end of the day and would really like to have seen the track with good traction as it had as I know there was a lot of little things that improved my engine/power and only minor things that improved the car.

Time to finish packing for the Reedy Race!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #558
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to entitymugenmtx

Great feedback thanks a lot
Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #559
Tech Apprentice

Josh,

Thank you for your test report, good luck at the Ready, I am waitting for the Photon ;-))
Old 05-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #560
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
Roedor - I wouldn't say better, just different. This weekend we had some rain in Toledo on Friday and Saturday so the track was quite slick. Lap times were nearly 2 seconds a lap slower at the begining than at the MWS race so I still tested a lot but really nothing that made a huge difference. By the end, the track was still about 1 second off but I felt it was still a good test.

I tested using a standard battery in the stock battery plate vs. a brass battery plate with a lipo (same overall weight) but thought maybe the slight difference in cg and chassis stiffness would be noticable. It was very minor on the low traction and I actually went back and forth 3-4 times without feeling any major difference. Lap times were the same.

I did test with taking out the radio plate stiffeners and without them the car was more forgiving and had a little more rear grip. The thing with Toledo is though with the two tight chicanes you really need the car to change direction very quickly and without the stiffeners the car was lazy through those chicanes. I was suprised that they made such a difference in the feel where the brass vs. standard battery tray was so minimal. Either way, lap times with/without the stiffeners were the same as I was faster in some spots with and faster in others without....

With the rain on Saturday, we only had about 1/3 of the day of testing so I lost out on testing the tunning radio plate. I still would like to test that though with and without the stiffeners to see how it responds.

I also tested with gearing (which is much better now), manifold, body mount centering post height (prefer all the way down) and front droop. Overall, I was quite happy with the car at the end of the day and would really like to have seen the track with good traction as it had as I know there was a lot of little things that improved my engine/power and only minor things that improved the car.

Time to finish packing for the Reedy Race!!!
Josh, how did that body mount centering post height (moving it up or down) effect handling ???

VIP Auto Group Inc.
VIPMOTORSPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #561
Tech Regular

@Josh Cyrul

Hi Josh, are you still running your engines in by using your WOT method? I tried it recently on a Nova Collari Cordoba and it worked out pretty good. Thanks a lot for all your insight on technical things, much appreciated!

C ya, Stefan
fulcrum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 AM   #562
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The "Velox" did very well this past weekend with Josh and myself TQ'ing both 1/8 open and master classes and also winning both classes. The car is working well.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #563
Tech Master

VIP - Moving the centering post up seemed to increase steering responce but sometimes made the rear end slide out suddenly when entering a corner. I prefered it all the way down as it was very consistant and easy to drive.

fulcrum2 - Yes. I've always had good sucess with this break in process and I continue to stick with it.

Eli and I did have a great weekend in Racine with TQ's and Wins in both Masters and Open 1/8. The weekend started out a little chilly and with some sprinkles of rain but as Saturday progressed the weather got better and better. Sunday was a little chilly with the wind but otherwise a perfect day for racing. For myself, it was a bit of a home coming back to the small and technical parking lot tracks where I started racing gas cars. The traction was ok at first and actually seemed to decline all day Saturday but Sunday the traction really improved and the lap times dropped over .5 per lap. I was really happy with the car being that I took my car straight from Toledo with the set-up I had been running and only made a few small set-up changes - I moved the rear body mount a-arms to the outer hole on the body mount and increased the castor by 1mm. I also went from the short to the medium header and that was it! No other changes from the high bite/permanant track in Toledo to the slippery/technical Racine parking lot. Definatly nice to have only a few minor changes dial the car right in from track to track.

Tommorow, I head off to 301 for the Capitol Classic so hopefully the rain stays away and we can get in a little practice before qualification starts on Friday. Normally, 301 is a difficult track for me as I really never feel comfortable there. I've had some good qualifying runs (like the ROAR Nats last year) but never really had a good, solid effort there through qualifying and the final so I am really curious to see how the car and myself perform there this year. Hopefully, everything continues to run as it has so far and I can put in a much better result than my previous years at 301.
Attached Thumbnails
Sheperd Velox-shepherd-racers.jpg   Sheperd Velox-tq-win.jpg   Sheperd Velox-track-1.jpg   Sheperd Velox-track-2.jpg   Sheperd Velox-class-tqs.jpg  

Old 06-03-2009, 01:08 AM   #564
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to fatboy

all the best josh.

you got email
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:16 AM   #565
Tech Apprentice

Good news from Europe!

Oliver Mack went for Vice-European-Champion B last Weekend in Italy.
After 4 rounds of Qualifying in second position he make a good Job in the
45 min. main final and end in second because the winner didn`t change Tyres.

One week before Oliver run an open Grand-Prix at the WC Track in Lostallo and run also in the second position after the 60 min.!!! main final.

In booth events he make the fastest lap in the main.

Armin
veloxrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #566
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to PMSorber

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloxrc View Post
Good news from Europe!

Oliver Mack went for Vice-European-Champion B last Weekend in Italy.
After 4 rounds of Qualifying in second position he make a good Job in the
45 min. main final and end in second because the winner didn`t change Tyres.

One week before Oliver run an open Grand-Prix at the WC Track in Lostallo and run also in the second position after the 60 min.!!! main final.

In booth events he make the fastest lap in the main.

Armin
Hey Armin, you did a good job! Congratulate Olie form me.

Pieter Sorber
PMSorber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #567
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Congrats on the win Josh
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #568
Tech Initiate

VIP - Moving the centering post up seemed to increase steering responce but sometimes made the rear end slide out suddenly when entering a corner. I prefered it all the way down as it was very consistant and easy to drive.

Sorry Guys but this may sound stupid, but what's the centering post !

Andy
Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #569
ND
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post

Sorry Guys but this may sound stupid, but what's the centering post !

Andy
Andy

The centering post is on the rear body mount and slides in the the rear shock tower. I've never tested different positions over here in UK.

Neil
ND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #570
Tech Initiate

Thanks Neil, pretty obvious now you mentioned it.

Andy
Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote