R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default FASTEST .12 ENGINE????

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IS THE FASTEST .12 ON ROAD ENGINE OUT THERE NOW???
rias5037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Tech Elite

This is a very broad question with many different answers. I hope you wern't looking for everyone to agree.

My opinion: RSNS.12T5R Novarossi. Out of production but there are many still out there.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Your title should have read "Best .12 Engine". The two best on the market right now is the Max Power (Novarossi-based) and Novarossi powerplants. They are very durable, lasts for many gallons (if temps kept in check and tuned properly). These plants are also take Murnam and JP mods very well (with little dropoff in fuel consumption). OS is coming on strong with their new TZ line of engines. The Picco JL Red Dot is nothing to sneeze at either. Sirio engines are good but piston/sleeve wear is quicker than the Novarossi and OS engines (and piston/sleeve replacements are hard to find). Just stay away from the STS Dragon engines unless you like pricey paperweights for your office desk.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yep, know exactly what you saying, had a sts.12 d3r on my serpent 720 and blew the conrod just after break-in, sts engine quality not too good i think!!!
rias5037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Fastest 12 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Your title should have read "Best .12 Engine". The two best on the market right now is the Max Power (Novarossi-based) and Novarossi powerplants. They are very durable, lasts for many gallons (if temps kept in check and tuned properly). These plants are also take Murnam and JP mods very well (with little dropoff in fuel consumption). OS is coming on strong with their new TZ line of engines. The Picco JL Red Dot is nothing to sneeze at either. Sirio engines are good but piston/sleeve wear is quicker than the Novarossi and OS engines (and piston/sleeve replacements are hard to find). Just stay away from the STS Dragon engines unless you like pricey paperweights for your office desk.
I aggree with you on your picks. I have a Novarossi 12+3 modied by Maxy <Maxy fuels> and this thing is unbeatable power wise. I also have two new versions of the Pico 12 Red Dot that also are insane. But for the money plus the power, Pico 12 Red Dot. It is amazing, that for the price of these Red Dots, they perform the way they do. As much as I like my modified 12+3, I could have just about bought 3 Red Dot engines.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
Tech Adept

out of the box without modifications my opinion is the RB matrix, when broken in correctly they are just rediculous in terms of power. tese are star based and there 12 are fast.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by new3 View Post
out of the box without modifications my opinion is the RB matrix, when broken in correctly they are just rediculous in terms of power. tese are star based and there 12 are fast.
I forgot about RB engines. Does Novarossi still make them via RB designs? I forgot about them since their under-powered X-12 and V-12 versions were getting smoked at local club tracks everywhere. Is this new Matrix version of the RB .12 better than it predecessors?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post
I aggree with you on your picks. I have a Novarossi 12+3 modied by Maxy <Maxy fuels> and this thing is unbeatable power wise. I also have two new versions of the Pico 12 Red Dot that also are insane. But for the money plus the power, Pico 12 Red Dot. It is amazing, that for the price of these Red Dots, they perform the way they do. As much as I like my modified 12+3, I could have just about bought 3 Red Dot engines.
I will have to check out this Picco JL Red Dot myself. I have heard good things about this powerplant and may put one in my engine arsenal for this coming season. My current engine stable include a Max Power engine, a Top (Nova) and various OS TZ engines (including a Speed TZ). I would like that Nova 12+3 but its asking price is very steep (could buy a Speed and stock OS TZ or like you said, 3 JL Red Dots for that price).
Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

For me... Stick with novarossi, the Plus 12-SCT. After seeing so much trouble with the Piccos, Im never going near them. Setting wise and conrod issues. This sunday, atleast like 2 or 3 broke their conrod on their Picco engine. Im not touching RB either, had 2 V12 that did not last me more than 2 race meets each. If you are tight on a budget, look at the OS TZ either spec or stock, or the Novarossi 12-CT or Novarossi TS1
Old 01-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Fastest 12 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
For me... Stick with novarossi, the Plus 12-SCT. After seeing so much trouble with the Piccos, Im never going near them. Setting wise and conrod issues. This sunday, atleast like 2 or 3 broke their conrod on their Picco engine. Im not touching RB either, had 2 V12 that did not last me more than 2 race meets each. If you are tight on a budget, look at the OS TZ either spec or stock, or the Novarossi 12-CT or Novarossi TS1
Just wondering. The Red Dots that crapped out, were they the 1st version, or the 2nd version. I also had one of the 1st versions, and was not impressed, and it is on a shelve with the rest of my "outdated" engines that also include the RBs. But the 2nd version Red Dot, I have yet to see anyone have any issuses what so ever. I was a die hard Novarossi owner, and thought there could not be anything that could touch them, and had no problem paying the higher prices. I probably have 6 or 7 Novarossi engines, two Wasps, a couple of RBs, and slew of other misc. engines packed away. But honestly, have yet to see any problems with the new version Red Dots, and they are in many of the cars at the tracks we run on. Not to say there could not be problems, as in just about any thing that is manufactured these days,there can be issues. On another note, a very good friend of mine runs the Factory tuned OS 12 in his MTX4R, and his car with easily keep up with anything out there. And when you fiqure the price of a factory tuned OS compared to a modified 12+3, even I have to wonder why I sometimes still pay the high price for the name Novarossi.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

the bets bang for the buck engine on the market is the JL3 or the Evo 3 version of the red-dot
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #12
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
Con Rods are something you need to replace after 2-3 gallons of fuel thru it, specially if an engine have been overheated it will significantly reduce the life of the con rod, ask "GREEN MACHINE" he had the first generation JL and have been running it for a while and is still going strong and yes he maintains the engine pretty well by changing the con rod every 2 gallons.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
Tech Elite

If we were talking about the best .12, my vote is the NR Plus12+3 sct. The thing is super quick and really reliable. I bought two of them last season. The fastest in my opinion is a 5 port.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The fastest .12 that I have seen is the Murnan modified RB concept R3 engine. It is a novarossi based long stroke engine and has the RB bi-turbo crankshaft. I have never seen any 12 accelerate as hard.
andy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post
Just wondering. The Red Dots that crapped out, were they the 1st version, or the 2nd version. I also had one of the 1st versions, and was not impressed, and it is on a shelve with the rest of my "outdated" engines that also include the RBs. But the 2nd version Red Dot, I have yet to see anyone have any issuses what so ever. I was a die hard Novarossi owner, and thought there could not be anything that could touch them, and had no problem paying the higher prices. I probably have 6 or 7 Novarossi engines, two Wasps, a couple of RBs, and slew of other misc. engines packed away. But honestly, have yet to see any problems with the new version Red Dots, and they are in many of the cars at the tracks we run on. Not to say there could not be problems, as in just about any thing that is manufactured these days,there can be issues. On another note, a very good friend of mine runs the Factory tuned OS 12 in his MTX4R, and his car with easily keep up with anything out there. And when you fiqure the price of a factory tuned OS compared to a modified 12+3, even I have to wonder why I sometimes still pay the high price for the name Novarossi.

I cant recall if they were the 2nd or 3rd version. But the conrod is not the only problem. Another friend of mine gave up on his red dot setting issues, and slapped on a novarossi carb. I took a stab at it and tuned it as I would a novarossi. And it tuned fine. But why in the first place if we buy X engine, place a Y carb on it? Trust me... if JLR dots came with novarossi carbs, I would be the first inline to get one. But I refuse to get or recommend someone into getting a Picco engine because I dont want them to get headaches trying to figure out why the damn engine wont hold a tune.