Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

I have the first JLR red-dot

no carb issues, no con rod issues, no issues period
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Anything murnan lol.. I have a hand mod one off OS engine.. the only person that pulled me was a guy with a murnan lol.. AND he had better fuel economy lol.. So I called murnan to check them out and see what they had.. Might be running OS still this year.. but a diffrent Engine guy...IMO you can't go wrong with NovaRossi or OS.. Rossi your going to pay more but they last.. If someone gave me picco engines I probably wouldn't run them.. I can get Picco engines cheap mod by massimo but I don't because I have never had a good picco engine..

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Rc_Boy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by new3 View Post
out of the box without modifications my opinion is the RB matrix, when broken in correctly they are just rediculous in terms of power. tese are star based and there 12 are fast.
+1

the matrix is an awesome motor, best motor ive ever used, heaps of power!
same goes for the r3, both excellent motors.

Kyosho STRR / OS Speed
Mugen MTX-4R / RB Speedline Matrix
Jammin CRT.5 / Sirio STI
Rc_Boy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
I forgot about RB engines. Does Novarossi still make them via RB designs? I forgot about them since their under-powered X-12 and V-12 versions were getting smoked at local club tracks everywhere. Is this new Matrix version of the RB .12 better than it predecessors?
that is your opinion and remember the v12 is anova rossi based motor and by the way the rb and the nova rossi motors are closer than ever except for the star based motors they have added to there line
Old 01-30-2008, 11:52 PM   #20
Tech Adept

just remember one thing about these motors the nova rossi motors where designed to use higher nitro than the piccos and the star based motors. so if you use low nitro go with the low nitro motor the piccos, star based. if nitro isn't a consern than you can go with the nova rossi with the 30% as oppose the 16 with the others
Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

It's not a matter of they were designed, but they were preset to run with a certain nitro percentage say example 25% which more are at now. If you want to run a lower percentage some you won't have to touch a shim, otherwise at least remove one. There is nothing wrong with Picco motors and I have had good luck using them in the past whether it was the OfnaPicco .12 (the one for about $100 with the purple heatsink), or the Trinity Picco XP .12RE. I remember years ago it was a crew of Team Associated guys with mostly stock NTC3 FT kits and the Trinity Picco XP motors stomping the competition. With the switching of ownership and lack of popularity the picco died down. However the JLR has proven itself yet people are still skeptical simply because of low cost or past "reputation". I am use to Novarossi and RB motors, but nowadays you can find some motors at half the cost with as good performance as the high dollar motors. Quality is up to par with lots on the market as well as consistency which to me is very important should one be doing some serious racing. I too had doubts of the motor, but quickly changed my mind after seeing it in action and getting some additional feedback.

For me there is no BEST...however there may be a fastest. As far as that one goes I personally don't care, because if speed is a concern before spending a ton of money on a modified motor you need to ask yourself just how good is your level of racing. Are you ready to switch to a new motor since the current motor has been pushed so far it won't go any further? What are the benefits of buying this motor verses the other? Does the slightest power difference make a big difference? Let me answer that Q for you and the answer is yes and now. It would be "yes" if two drivers are about equal in skill so therefore any advantage would help. It would be "no" if the difference in skill is right and the better driver has the weaker motor and the novice with the most powerful motor on the track.
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:12 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i think i have the first version of the jlr red dot, not the evo, what the dif between the two, and does anyone know how the rate against the serpents mega .12 (ZX12, DS2).
rias5037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:47 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

the Max MF tuned worlds edition is the quickest engine I've ever seen. I just bought an OS Speed Spec 2 AL which isn't anything to be sneezed at. I was contemplating the plus 12 SCT but the OS is cheaper and a bit more special e.g. hardened crank + teardrop treatment on ports, plus the economy is better
Old 01-31-2008, 04:05 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

nice one craig. I just bought the os speed for my buggy and am also after a new .12 engine. I am still up in the air about it though. Ive got about a month before i race onroad again as im getting ready for states offroad.
juzza99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:10 AM   #25
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

The fastest engine is not to tell. Every engine in combination with any exhaust/manifold has its own performance. Depending on the kind of track and grip there can be situations that the fastest combo is the slowest....

Gearing does play a role as well. The CRF is one huge example you have to gear different than others to gain its performance.

If you are a basher and looking for the fastest .12 mounting then there is also a choice like the OS 18TZ which has more torque and can be the fastset with a faster gearing.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:08 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
I cant recall if they were the 2nd or 3rd version. But the conrod is not the only problem. Another friend of mine gave up on his red dot setting issues, and slapped on a novarossi carb. I took a stab at it and tuned it as I would a novarossi. And it tuned fine. But why in the first place if we buy X engine, place a Y carb on it? Trust me... if JLR dots came with novarossi carbs, I would be the first inline to get one. But I refuse to get or recommend someone into getting a Picco engine because I dont want them to get headaches trying to figure out why the damn engine wont hold a tune.
I've run the JL2 Red Dot for 5 months consistently every weekend and have no problems. Even got it re-pinched, still holds a tune and have won against 353's, Wasp's and OS's. It's the best engine for under $200 period. The most difficult engine, IMO to tune is a Nova. I would recommend to everyone to purchase a Picco and run the bottom rich. It's the fact that most people don't have $500 to purchase an engine, which keeps them away from the hobby!

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #27
Tech Regular

ive got the jlr .12, the old version red dot, not the 3, what would you say is the dif in power between them, and do you think the red dot one i got can hold its own against the mega's and nova's out there???
Old 01-31-2008, 08:33 AM   #28
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well if your looking for the most powerful .12 then its the Picco JLR series engine........ X-Dyno shows it makes more power then any other .12 in its class...

Talking modded motors ? then seriously its the AB Mods JLR Red Dot...Most powerful .12 ever tested on a X-Dyno .... with the proper timing tweaks the JLR's are complete animals.......
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Bud your question is a loaded one.
There are many engines out there in std form and modified ones that are all very capable.
Biggest factor is $$$ for hand modified ones.
The STS you had is a good engine you just didnt have the experience and know how to run it in properly and since you are new to the whole gas car thing are going to have issues.

Remember the fastest, most powerful engine is not going to make you fast !!!!
practice and learning the ins and outs of tuning the engines, clutches and car setup is ad will make all the difference.
Most club racers ignore that and expect when buying a car that everything must work at its best so always blame the equipment and not themselves.

"Knowledge is power" and "practice makes perfect"

The JLR you have is ample for your Serpent !!! and is a good engine.
Spend the time driving it and making changes to it to see what it does.
Also a large part of engine performance is influenced by what pipe you use, gearing and clutch setup.Learn about these areas and you will benefit.

Stop worrying about fast engines and wasting money buying them, get out on the track !!!!
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:54 AM   #30
Tech Regular

hey razzor, you here too, cool man, i know that i was new to this when i started with that sts, but howard rebiult it for me (new piston, sleeve and bearing) and said its not going to last long, reckons very poor quality, and by looking at this engine on the inside, you can see the diff in the metalwork compared to my omega picco im currently running, btw, went for my first club race last sunday (dean reckon you were pre-occupied with family commitments, so you couldnt make it), but i had fun, was placed in the C main, had three qulaifying rounds, and eventually started my final being place 2nd and finished 2nd, lead the race all the way and then got smacked by two cars on the left front, broke my front upper susp arm, and had to nurse the car to the finish, guy behind me took advantage of my accident and just managed to pass me on the 2nd last lap, tried to close behind him, but a broken susp arm was no help, another than that, i really had some fun, cant wait for the next race event, btw, vrc really helps, thanks for the advice on that one as well.