R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-20-2001, 06:47 AM   #1
zxt
Tech Regular

Default SuperTen and OS engine question

Hi Guys,

I just got a used SuperTen today with stock OS .12 engine (pullstart) and I'm an electric guy. So what tips and advice can you give me to properly take care of this engine. also the proper fuel mixture for this engine.

What are the needle settings for? If I turn it clockwise what will happen? Theres 2 screws right? Which is which?

Thanks
zxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 07:06 PM   #2
Tech Master

Default Re: SuperTen and OS engine question

It would help to know which model engine it is, or more specifically, which carb is on it. Here are some general engine tips from Paris Racing's site. http://www.parisracing.com/tipspage.html Most of this will pertain to Nova and Picco based engines, but the concepts apply to all engines. The most important thing is to keep it running somewhat rich. The needles close clockwise and open counterclockwise.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 06:15 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

turn clockwise: leaner setting (fewer fuel gets into the engine)
turn counter clockwise: rich setting (more fuel into the engine)

Lean = stronger engine output but will burn out the engine
Rich = weaker engine output, better engine lubrication and lower engine temp.

The mixture we are accustomed to is 2 and 1/2 turns counter clockwise from a closed position.
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 07:01 AM   #4
zxt
Tech Regular

Default Thanks Chris

maybe I should give you a call and ask you some questions
Old 12-21-2001, 08:35 AM   #5
zxt
Tech Regular

Default Engine not starting

I tried it but I cant.

I have an OS .12 LD X engine. What do u think is the problem? Glow plug? Fuel not going into engine? What should I try? Or better yet is what should I check?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2001, 04:39 PM   #6
Tech Master

Default Re: Engine not starting

Here's a few things you can check.

Use a nicad battery in your glow igniter. They are able to deliver more current than alkaline batteries. Take out the glowplug and plug it in to your igniter and see if it turns orange. If it does, your glowplug is probably getting hot enough to start the engine. Make sure you have the fuel and pressure tubes going to the right places. The tube that attaches to the top of the tank goes on the exhaust. The one that goes on the bottom of the tank goes to the carb. Make sure your tank is sealed correctly. Yeah, I know this seems obvious, but you never know what was done before you got the car. When you try to start your engine, put your thumb over the exhaust outlet and see if fuel is being sucked into the carb. You should see some bubbles moving toward the carb. This is why you don't want dark colored fuel tubing! If fuel is getting into the carb, check a few other things. If you are using a starter box, make sure the motor is turning the right direction. The engine will only run in one direction. Also, check to make sure the flywheel is tight. It's momentum is what keeps the engine idling. If all of those things check out, have a buddy help you try to start the engine. Have him blip the throttle as you try to start the engine. Put your thumb over the exhaust outlet as you are turning over the engine so fuel is getting in there. It should start up if all this checks out. If not, you should have someone experienced check it out for you.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:03 PM   #7
zxt
Tech Regular

Default Thanks

Its a pullstart.

I'm using Nicd.

Tubes on the proper places.

I'll try your suggestions but I only have myself here.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:14 PM   #8
Tech Master

Default Re: Thanks

Try pulling the cord a few times with your finger over the exhaust outlet to get some fuel into the engine. Maybe try putting the car on a brick or piece of wood so you can blip the throttle and cover the exhaust outlet with one hand and pull the cord with the other. It helps if you have an extra couple arms. You should try to have someone help hold the car and blip the throttle until you get the feel for how to start the engine. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2001, 11:17 PM   #9
zxt
Tech Regular

Default Its starting!

Now I have another problem...

When it starts the wheels turns...and not just turn...it turns fast...how do I make it run the engine but the wheel just stay?

I put it on a board so the wheels are free and it wont runaway. I tried playing with both screws (idle and the top end screw) Now te top end is 2 turns counterclockwise from close and the idel is 1 turn counterclockwise from close position.

What do u guys suggest?

Hey Psycho thanks...
Old 12-21-2001, 11:50 PM   #10
zxt
Tech Regular

Default Engine lock

My engine starts again and the wheels turn fast again...after a while it stop but before that it looks like it rev to high rpm.

Now what do I need to do? I cant pull the starter cord, the car wont even move if I pust it woth 4 wheels on the ground. What is the problem and what I need to do?

Also I think I have 3 screws...1 near the exhaust (top end) one right on the carb and a little screw with springs on it. So which is the idle screw and whats the other screw for? Is that the low end screw?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2001, 01:05 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

zxt: the small screw with the spring on it is the carb adjuster screw. It sets the size of the opening of the carb.

Kapag naka neutral ka, ito yung screw na nagsasabi kung gaano kaliit ang limit ng opening ng carb mo para hindi mamatay yung engine
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 03:54 AM   #12
zxt
Tech Regular

Default D A M N !

Engine busted!

Thats why I cant pull the cord. I opened it up and the conrod is broken, theres also a chip inside the engine blcok near the pullstart.

Now what can I save with the engine? Carb? Pullstart? Head? Piston maybe?

Argh....
Old 12-22-2001, 09:00 AM   #13
Tech Master

Man! You're having the worst luck! I'd probably just keep it for parts. You never know what you might need. When you replace it, I would suggest getting a rotary carb engine with one needle valve so you can learn how to tune a simple engine and know the sounds of the engine. Once you have mastered this, go with a "race" motor like an OS CV-R or a Nova or RB engine. It's important to learn the sound of a rich engine and the sound of a lean engine so you get the best performance without blowing it up from lack of lubrication.
Old 12-22-2001, 01:05 PM   #14
zxt
Tech Regular

Unhappy You said it bro...

I didnt even have the chance to run it even for a few meters...

Someone is selling his CV-R cheap I guess but I have to buy a piston assembly and its not cheap anymore.

what do you think, should I get another used Nitro (an MKII with 2 bodies) for $75 complete with stock engine or should I get the CV-R and buy a piston assembly and hopefully the total cost would not be more than $60.

But you cant make the CV-R pullstart right? And if thats the case then I dont have any money left to buy a starter box. Then I think I would look for a used and cheap 2nd ahnd engine or get the MKII then I'll just get back to my superten if I have money again.

Does nitro really has more problems than the electric?
Old 12-22-2001, 02:49 PM   #15
Tech Master

I would suggest that you buy an inexpensive new pullstart engine. Maybe get an HPI stock motor or something like that. They should be around $80 (USD). It's usually not a good idea to buy a used engine unless you can take a good look at it before you buy it. I would not recommend the CV-R at this point. It's a great engine, but you need to know how to tune it or you will be even more frustrated. Stick with something simple until you have a good comfort level. Buy a new engine and go through the breakin process nice and slow and easy, tune the engine and learn how to keep it tuned and you'll be happy. Once you've got that down, go for the gusto with the CV-R or something like that. I wouldn't say that nitro has more problems than electric. It is more complicated, so you have to make sure that everything is right. Once you learn how to tune the engine and keep it tuned, you'll love it.