R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-22-2001, 05:52 PM   #16
zxt
Tech Regular

Default Uhmm...

I really seldom buy brand new things...Theres only a few thinghs which I got bnew like my first megatech radio, my first kit a TL-01, my igniter and I think a couple more things. All are used, like my charger, all my kits, motors, batts....my 3PDF...

I learned that I can san save a lot by getting used things and sometimes theres no difference at all....but I can save more than 50 percent. I got my fully hopped up TA-03 with FRP chassis for only $45! My micro in almost bnew condition for $65. So you see I can stay with this hobby because of this...actually I'm not supposed to go Nitro but I cant seem to pass the good deals.

Anyways, tell me what should I look in an engine to see if its okay...should I opened it up? Or firing it up and idling it is enough? Maybe I can ask some ppl to help me to check the engine...

Thanks for the advice...hope you can give me more tips soon...

Hows your Micro anyway?
zxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 11:46 PM   #17
Tech Master

Default Re: Uhmm...

I agree with you on buying used stuff, except for nitro engines. There are two things that determine how long the engine will last. 1. The way it was broken in 2. How lean the mixture was run during normal operation. If the guy replaces the plug, you will have a very difficult time determining how the mixture was run. It is next to impossible to determine how the thing was broken in. I'd just pony up the $$ for the new engine if I were you. jmo.

I'm still waiting for a balldiff for my micro. They are backordered from HPI and I don't trust GPM. I'm thinking about changing my servo in the car too. I'm running a JR sub-micro servo and it's just not fast enough with 5 cell packs. It's getting kind of frustrating. That and the crabbing from the rear gear diff. I've raced it a few times and I'm starting to like it more. I just got a Mini Z and ordered an F1 Mini Z, so I'm looking forward to racing them too. We're hoping to race carpet next weekend. I haven't raced at a "real" track in quite a while since it's been raining.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 03:17 AM   #18
zxt
Tech Regular

Default You have a point

now I'm having 2nd thoughts...

But the price is tempting...thats why I'm starting Nitro in the first place...maybe I should ask around and see if the guys saw the MKII run. The cheapest bnew engine is like 7K like $140. And the MKII is almost half of that.

I'll way things...hmmm....

I got to drive a mini Z the other day and that thing is SLOW! My stock micro is definitely faster. How come guys here says that mini Z is faster stock for stock? Also I found it hard to control it...it spins a lot, you really have to learn how to drive it unlike the micro that u can control it easily...

Goodluck on Z anyways...
zxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 10:36 AM   #19
Tech Master

I run the biggest pinion and the MIni Z is pretty fast. I have no problem traction rolling it! I will say that the steering is crappy on the sedan Mini Z. It is much improved on the F1. I haven't figured out what makes it drift around in a straightaway. They're fun and take even less room to race that the micro.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote