R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-28-2008, 03:01 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
He doesn't know what he's talking about....This is on using Different receivers with different servos, This is like saying if you have a Novak speed controller you can only run Novak motors..As far as using Analog servos and Digital Servos from different manufacturers, I have been doing this for years and I have never had any problems. I have been doing this hobby for over 23 years and I have never had any problems using different manufactures electronics..EVER..Now if what your saying is true..Why does LRP and Novak both make Receivers and yet they dont make servos, I've used both with different brands of servos and never had any problems..Something else to think about..Why do all the servo manufacturers use a standard plug nowadays..
Going4#1 You are correct on the HRS with analog servos..YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS if you use analog servos with a Futaba HRS receiver, This is due to the circuit board on analog servos not being compatible with the HRS signal. Going4#1 this is not a attack on you but when you post information that is only half correct backed with no facts you will get called on it..
You imply that there is no difference mixing gear and using gear from the same manufacturer. You say there is 'no problem'. Sure there's no problem but don't you believe that using the same gear gives you the best results? Or do you believe mixed gear gives equal results? Do you think using there is NO advantage to using a Futaba receiver with a Futaba servo? Hey, I'll just swap in a Novak for my Futaba. I mean it works, so that's the important thing. In race do you want 'works' or 'works best'? Funny, every pros and serious amatures I've met and not one using using mixed gear. I wonder why?
going4#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:23 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

well, as far as mixing digital and analog At least with Spektrum and airtronics thats bunk.. You can't run digital on some older tx/rx combos. But if its newer than say 2003 you can pretty much mix whatever you want. I use Digital steering and analog throttle.. Latest combo is 94758 steering with ko 2317 because I think the ko might be more precise.. Haven't ran it to test it. But as people have been saying.. its a lot of what each person likes. I personally won't run JR(lost one ship<heli>, and 2 airplanes in the 8411 servo failure days--got a sorry and new servos but never used them--), and Hitec for similar failures. Futaba, airtronics, Ko are all good choices.. Ko has less slop than the rest, but doesn't put down the numbers the others do. One thing, I would't put KO in an 8th scale buggy again lmao.

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by going4#1 View Post
You imply that there is no difference mixing gear and using gear from the same manufacturer. You say there is 'no problem'. Sure there's no problem but don't you believe that using the same gear gives you the best results? Or do you believe mixed gear gives equal results? Do you think using there is NO advantage to using a Futaba receiver with a Futaba servo? Hey, I'll just swap in a Novak for my Futaba. I mean it works, so that's the important thing. In race do you want 'works' or 'works best'? Funny, every pros and serious amateurs I've met and not one using using mixed gear. I wonder why?
....I really really do believe that their is no difference in mixing electronics, I know that their is no advantage in running A Futaba Radio with Futaba Servos..(I have done this and noticed no real advantages or lower lap times)..I do race, I would consider myself a serious "Amateur" (I have made the "A" main in the expert class at the Roar Nat's. And I have been sponsored myself) I have also owned an indoor carpet track and hobby shop..One of my Friends recently won the Sportsman Class at the Roar Nat's in truggy and he is using an M-11 with JR, and Airtronics servos..He is Now sponsored by Ofna..So that would make him a "Pro" and he mixes his electronics..On the Pro's..If they have a Sponsorship from a Radio Manufacture They have no choice But To Run THAT manufactures Servos and Receivers..Most Guys I know use M-11's or KO's, and I would say that most of them use a Different manufactures Servo..Believe what you want to believe but when I see no real advantages in feel, response or Lap times I will run what ever servos I want to....
Old 01-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I also believe going4#1 is incorrect. It certainly does not hurt to run gear from the same manufacturer, but there is no advantage to it. As long as the gear is compatible (no analog with HRS etc). Also what was posted about the pros is correct as well. The ones that have a radio deal are going to run the gear from that manufacturer. That is a big reason why many were slow to run 2.4ghz gear. Some still don't use 2.4ghz. Its because their sponsor won't allow it. If Airtronics is one of your sponsors they certainly aren't going to let you run KO servos.

I used to be with RX7 on the whole analog throttle servo, but not anymore. It seems as if they servos have improved enough to handle the load of braking. It isn't going to hurt anything to run an analog in that position and I would not advise against it. I also had seen early digitals fail running brakes, but that seems to be a thing of the past.

I would definitely use a digital on steering. I wouldn't worry about battery life. The current battery capacities are more than enough to handle the load. Make sure you set your end points and you will be just fine.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
I also believe going4#1 is incorrect. It certainly does not hurt to run gear from the same manufacturer, but there is no advantage to it. As long as the gear is compatible (no analog with HRS etc). Also what was posted about the pros is correct as well. The ones that have a radio deal are going to run the gear from that manufacturer. That is a big reason why many were slow to run 2.4ghz gear. Some still don't use 2.4ghz. Its because their sponsor won't allow it. If Airtronics is one of your sponsors they certainly aren't going to let you run KO servos.

I used to be with RX7 on the whole analog throttle servo, but not anymore. It seems as if they servos have improved enough to handle the load of braking. It isn't going to hurt anything to run an analog in that position and I would not advise against it. I also had seen early digitals fail running brakes, but that seems to be a thing of the past.

I would definitely use a digital on steering. I wouldn't worry about battery life. The current battery capacities are more than enough to handle the load. Make sure you set your end points and you will be just fine.
Its not so much just digital that I am against.. I am using that servo because its unpowered return isn't like the airtronics. a light spring or rubberband will return the throttle to newtral with the KO servo I am trying out. .

Old 01-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #21
Tech Elite

I hear you. The drivetrain on the airtronics servos is very stiff. The Futaba servos also move much more easily. That is the biggest reason I took the Airtronics off of throttle. No rubber band of small spring could pull that servo closed.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
....I really really do believe that their is no difference in mixing electronics, I know that their is no advantage in running A Futaba Radio with Futaba Servos..(I have done this and noticed no real advantages or lower lap times)..I do race, I would consider myself a serious "Amateur" (I have made the "A" main in the expert class at the Roar Nat's. And I have been sponsored myself) I have also owned an indoor carpet track and hobby shop..One of my Friends recently won the Sportsman Class at the Roar Nat's in truggy and he is using an M-11 with JR, and Airtronics servos..He is Now sponsored by Ofna..So that would make him a "Pro" and he mixes his electronics..On the Pro's..If they have a Sponsorship from a Radio Manufacture They have no choice But To Run THAT manufactures Servos and Receivers..Most Guys I know use M-11's or KO's, and I would say that most of them use a Different manufactures Servo..Believe what you want to believe but when I see no real advantages in feel, response or Lap times I will run what ever servos I want to....
Oh well, maybe I'm the one who was duped So far, with one exception, (the 9551), my Futaba gear has peformed well.

On Sanwa/Airtronics, no experience but I see a lot of failures with other racers. Still, a lot of pros use their gear. There's got to be something to it.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Oh well, maybe I'm the one who was duped So far, with one exception, (the 9551), my Futaba gear has peformed well.

On Sanwa/Airtronics, no experience but I see a lot of failures with other racers. Still, a lot of pros use their gear. There's got to be something to it.

Where did you find a futaba 9551 as they have not been released yet?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Where did you find a futaba 9551 as they have not been released yet?
Sorry Scott, it's the 9550, not the 9551. The 9550 sucked big time ceasing up after only 2 months use. The 9551 has yet to suck but if it's based on the 9550, I'm sure it won't disappoint and suck just fine after sustained use. I'm definitely not waiting to buy that. The BLS451 on the other hand, that's looking really nice. Anyone use one?

Last edited by going4#1; 01-29-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
I hear you. The drivetrain on the airtronics servos is very stiff. The Futaba servos also move much more easily. That is the biggest reason I took the Airtronics off of throttle. No rubber band of small spring could pull that servo closed.
I haven't used anything slower than .07, I don't know how you deal with 10-12.. I remember when I ran a nitro truck with that.. it was like a tank till I switched to a faster servo..

Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Sorry Scott, it's the 9550, not the 9551. The 9550 sucked big time ceasing up after only 2 months use. The 9551 has yet to suck but if it's based on the 9550, I'm sure it won't disappoint and suck just fine after sustained use. I'm definitely not waiting to buy that. The BLS451 on the hand, that's looking really nice. Anyone use one?
I am glad I am not having any problems with my 9550.... so far. I used it on throttle in my nitro 1/8th and now for the same job in the nitro sedan. I have been waiting on the 9551 for three months now.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
I haven't used anything slower than .07, I don't know how you deal with 10-12.. I remember when I ran a nitro truck with that.. it was like a tank till I switched to a faster servo..
I ran only Airtronics 257 and 357 servos for 6 years. Switched about 1.5 years ago. I can't tell the difference of three-five hundreths of a second. The extra holding power of the digital did help when I was running offroad.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #28
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Sorry Scott, it's the 9550, not the 9551. The 9550 sucked big time ceasing up after only 2 months use. The 9551 has yet to suck but if it's based on the 9550, I'm sure it won't disappoint and suck just fine after sustained use. I'm definitely not waiting to buy that. The BLS451 on the hand, that's looking really nice. Anyone use one?
The Brushless BLS451 is awesome, it does not draw amps like the brushed motor servo, the motor never gets hot and it has more Torque than the S9351.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:12 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
The Brushless BLS451 is awesome, it does not draw amps like the brushed motor servo, the motor never gets hot and it has more Torque than the S9351.
It has quite a bit less torque thant the S9351. A little bit more than the S9452, but also costs 25% more money and weighs 20% more. I would guess that it should be much more efficient than the brushed servos.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:19 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to nigelnuggets

Less torque or not, even at 60oz/in an "entry-level" servo could still lift the weight of a sedan. The torque value on the servo itself is technically overkill if you think about it [email protected]/in, thats approximately 7.5lbs. Which is more than double the weight of the car. The BLS451 stands at 147oz/in which is approximately 9.2lbs/in.

the 25% of funding you spend on the servo = nothing compared to how much longer the servo lasts which is allegedly 5x longer.

and the weight of the servo according to the manufacturer:
BLS451: 2.0oz ~ 56g
S9452: 1.8oz ~ 51g

5 grams? is that even worth mentioning?