R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meronr View Post
well said bro
The cost is a big factor, I remember when I got 5 bucks a week allowance, I started a lawn mowing business so I could make enough money to go to the track and race with my friend jeff... we are talkin serpent impact.. and 705 times.. Not everyone has the same means we do. I don't flinch now when I buy a offroad car, or a nitro engine.. For the newbies even 190 bucks for an os 12tz is a big investment. So when they get to the track and start struggling. Its always nice to have someone come help out. I race to win, but also to help the other racers have a good time.. because thats what its about. Some guys go to clubs, go play golf or whatever.. I play with lil cars because its fun, and the only pressure I have on me comes from within..

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:47 AM   #32
Tech Regular

I think there are three kinds of nitro rc beginners:

1. Quitter. One that just wants to try it out. If something is broken he will send it to the LHS to get it fixed. If it becomes too difficult to fix or too expensive, he quits the hobby. Most people will loose interest after breaking a few parts or if they just can't get it too work. When things get too complicate, they move on.

2. Undecided upgrader. The second one will upgrade parts and make his car better stronger faster and typically bash around. He can't decide if he should stay the fastest kid on the block or go to the track and give racing it a try. Time and money may be an issue for him

3. Racer. I'd say 1/10 people, if that, who buy an RTR will continue the hobby and race. It is inborn to be a racer, a tinkerer, a fixer. They get hooked with the hobby right away. Typically has plenty of money and time to spend.

My point is that we cannot make everyone a racer.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The most unfortunate thing is that nitro racing is not cheap. There are some forms of electric racing that is but when it come to nitro, forget it. When you are on a tight household budget, then $400 to $500 for a "toy" car for a few minutes of fun is out of the question. There lies the problem for nitro racing. When I first got into racing my cars instead of bashing, it was with an electric TC3. With a decent charger, a couple of affordable battery pack, decent radio, ESC and the car kit, I was out about $250 to $300. But, at the same time, you could have gotten into 200mm nitro racing for about the same price with a HPI RS4-2 RTR kit with some fuel and glow ignitor. Now, it will cost you minimum $325 for just the RTR kit, not counting the support equipment. If you want to step up to the plate and race with the bigger boys, $700 to $1000 for a 200mm set in not out of the question. With companies refining the cars and raising the costs (same hold true with nitro engines), this hurdle will be a hard one to jump as far as attracting the ones that want to race. The industry itself is making it harder for the ones that are on the fence to fall on the side of racing.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
The problem is not the cost, or the location. IMO the problem is in the mindset of beginers. They happen to see a track in their area, they watch for a few weekends, after that they go and buy what they need to get started. They go for their first race thinking they're just gonna woop everybodies ass right away, until they realise that its a lot harder than it looks. Then they just give up, they dont comit to setting up the car to make it work for them and learning the track, they think they're going to copy Tossolini's, or Swagers set up off the internet and they're going to win. Those of us that race every weekend are willing to put the time into the hobby.

Beginers dont understand that in not only takes money, it takes time to drive fast. They dont want to beleive that some us just dont have it. I always tell people that if you told me that I am never going to win a race, I will still show up every weekend and enjoy it.
Well said!
As a store/track owner, I can attest to the above statement.
I have seen it time and time again. People will walk in and watch a fast racer flying around the track, & think he can just buy the same equipment + a faster motor and win! They just don't understand that it takes years of learning and dedication to be good at any competetive activity. They complain about costs AFTER they find out that their expenditure did not achieve the desired result. Far too few of the people that get interested are actually looking for a hobby.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #35
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

The cheapest way of racing with a high equal competition, a high funfactor and not needing a lot of space is 18th scale electrics. A MRS4 or a M18 powered with an 180 stock engine and 6 cells is cheap to get and just cheaper to maintain. Funpart of a stockclass with handout motors is that there is no advantage getting an optional chassis, the stock chassis with some slight adjustments will do fine.

Another advantage is the track is portable and can be build up in any place like the local Walmart. You do not need an expensive AMB counting systen, the Kyosho LapZ or the Robitronic copy will work perfectly
Old 01-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Green Machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
The problem is not the cost, or the location. IMO the problem is in the mindset of beginers. They happen to see a track in their area, they watch for a few weekends, after that they go and buy what they need to get started. They go for their first race thinking they're just gonna woop everybodies ass right away, until they realise that its a lot harder than it looks. Then they just give up, they dont comit to setting up the car to make it work for them and learning the track, they think they're going to copy Tossolini's, or Swagers set up off the internet and they're going to win. Those of us that race every weekend are willing to put the time into the hobby.

Beginers dont understand that in not only takes money, it takes time to drive fast. They dont want to beleive that some us just dont have it. I always tell people that if you told me that I am never going to win a race, I will still show up every weekend and enjoy it.
Quite right. And we are always open to help. The perfect example in our local area in southern cali is that boy Christian and his father. They asked questions first, and exposed themselves to the track and drivers and we all were more than willing to help with answers to questions, loaning tools and parts and now look at them, they are there all the time and he IS getting fast. Go figure.
I can tell you this. Working for Fabtech Motorsports and being in the real Off-Road racing scene. It takes one major element to get noticed. EXPOSURE. When I first got back into RC in 2004 I picked up magazines every other week and it was 50/50% off-road, and on road. It didn't take me long to choose over my old electric off road to the awesome scene of nitro on-road. The parts were available at my local hoby shop, but mainly for the parking lot bashers. You have to look for the specialized shops like "Kamikaze" and "The Speed Shop." If everyone went back to being biast and the media offering exposure to on and off road equally as well as the local shops that just stock up on the currant cash cow fad, we would start to prosper again. Yes price is an issue also, and props to OFNA and PICCO with their new line of inexpensive moters that are just as fast as the high dollar ones. Tires could be a little cheaper, yes, but exposure, exposure,exposure is the answer. I don't even subscribe to any magazines anymore cust it is ALL about the RTR's and the off road fad. No one is ever going to be able to educate themselves on what the Nitro on road side of the hobby has to offer unless there is more coverage. Beginners arent going to told of "RC TECH" they are just going to their local hobby shops just get pushed into "whats cool now" Off Road. Ok, I've said my peace.
FUTABA
SSCLCG
Green Machine! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #37
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Another often overlooked avenue of approach is at the local level with radio station ads. A short 30 sec blurb on your most popular local station can draw a lot of attention and help boost awareness.
GBagRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #38
Tech Elite

I hear everyone talking about exposure, but what is everyone doing about it? Are shops and tracks buying advertisement in the print media? Are any of the shops and tracks making radio spots or TV commercials? I have been in the hobby since 1987 and I have seen only two shops ever do commercial spots. They were both good with some comedy elements but were shown in the very early morning hours (between 1am and 4am). Why? It is because primetime ad time costs tremendous amounts of cash. There needs to be exposure of the racing aspect at racing events like the guys did at the IRL Homestead race last year. Shop owners could work with schools to help form clubs like I have read that some Southern Cal schools have done to help keep kids from doing destructive things. Work needs to be done with local shops and businesses around hobby stores and tracks to get some outside sponsorship (scratch my back and I will scratch yours). Here in Texas, we have Texas Motor Speedway (NASCAR, NASTRUCK, IRL, SCCA races held there for most of the year) and the big road race in Houston and no one has approached any of the officials to work with them on putting on R/C races in conjunction with their race. Business plans need to be put together and used to help shopping center property owner see where r/c racing draw crowds, thus generates foot traffic, which in turn mean more business. Show them the potential for generating more dollars, then many may be more willing to work with us. Just my $0.02. Comments?
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

I know I can't do much about exposure myself because I do not own a hobby shop or track. I'm just a racer in the hobby, who can barely afford rent. All I can do is what I always do, talk it up as much as possible to my peers and direct them to the right "specialized" hobby shop geared more twoard racing. I do know how expensive tv and radio can be, but magazines are already out there. That is what everyone is picking up off the rack if they are interested in the hobby, but they are bombarded with off road, wich is fine. (nothing against off-road) I'm saying that if the nitro on-road is going to prosper again, the media needs to focus on both on and off road. If I was beginning in the hobby now-a-days and I picked up a RC Car Action or Xtreme RC, I wouldn't know nitro on-road existed, other than a sales add here and there on a motor or fuel. And if I went into a Hobby People store, all they have advertised EVERYWHERE is RTR Off Road. And if the customer happens knows they want to try on-road RACING, unfortunately, they get sold a HPI or a NCT3 RTR which isn't exactly race ready. (don't get me wrong, I raced a NTC3 for almost a year and I did great, but with lots of dedicated track time & $$$ for replacement parts) and thats when they eventually get discouraged also. I think if more people were introduced to on-road, then it would start to pick up. Hopefully soon the hobby will come around again and concentrate on on-road once again. I know its a vicious circle: off-road is up, on road is down, so sell more off road and close on road tracks and open more off road tracks. Everybody has to make a living, so you can't really blame the retailers. Individually, we just need to do the best we can to boost the on-road racing hobby and regain balance to the force Unless anyone has pull with the magazine companies.
FUTABA
SSCLCG
Old 01-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

TV exposure is in these days very difficult. In the US there are a lot of theme channels and some of them do have a RC program but asking some time within a real motorsports program/channel it will cost you money.

Over here in Holland we have coverage of F1, A1GP and some Nascar races and before the start they will show some national motorsports. To get into that you have pay at least 10.000 euro for some minutes coverage. Within a total budget of about 30.000 euro in a year that is to much..

I have got some TV shows online:
In a automotive news program: http://www.macdebaanbrekers.nl/ftp/huubstapel.avi
A child program: http://www.macdebaanbrekers.nl/ftp/klokhuis.avi
A child program: http://www.macdebaanbrekers.nl/rcms/rcms.rm
Old 01-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #41
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesisG4 View Post
Some of you guys probably saw the thread on the electric forum on the future of RC racing. There is a ton of good input on this thread...some for rc in general and some pertaining to electric.

The bottom line is we need more people exposed to the sport which ultimately relates to more participants.

Lets start a think tank on the nitro forum...what needs fixed, what to do about costs, what do you think about spec classes, how to better market and promote....on and on.
All is needed is a Magazine that is dedicated to ON-ROAD.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
All is needed is a Magazine that is dedicated to ON-ROAD.
WO HOO!
That's what I'm sayin. Sam just said it in one sentence what it took me 4 paragraphs to do. Man I'm gonna get fired! Lucky it's slow today.
FUTABA
SSCLCG
Old 01-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

As far as getting tv attention if we can all post on this forum we can all flood speed with e-mails about the winternats. And they were promoting an rc magazine on their web site so lets start the emails
Old 01-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Future of on-road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine! View Post
WO HOO!
That's what I'm sayin. Sam just said it in one sentence what it took me 4 paragraphs to do. Man I'm gonna get fired! Lucky it's slow today.
Dont fret there Tony.
If they can your butt, you can always come work for me.
Bill
Old 01-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post
Dont fret there Tony.
If they can your butt, you can always come work for me.
Bill

Works for me. hell, I'll work in trade for a fraction of your RC surpluss. Screw the cash
FUTABA
SSCLCG