R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-21-2003, 11:36 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Which is the best .12 of the Bunch?

I am trying to start racing, but I really don't know what engine to get. I am looking at the MR-12, But have not heard anything abut how it runs. I trying to race legal, and need an engine with a good kick. Please help. Is RB good engines. I know these are all Rossi.
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 12:03 AM   #2
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default haha

this question appears very frequently!
haha

well, i run an X12 5 port RB
i like it

but i believe that many other engines are just as compettive
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 12:19 AM   #3
Tech Adept

For ROAR legal racing, the Mugen MT and MR .12 are both awesome, as are their generic NovaRossi counterparts. RB makes some nice motors as well. The Sirio .12 is also one of the best legal motors out there. Rossi Black Pixis work well too. There are many good ROAR legal motors, just make sure you're able to get parts for the one you pick.

SeattleRCRacers.com - come race with us!
skibum989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 12:26 AM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish

I'm pretty much happy with my Novarossi RS12 Turbo. It's not the fastest engine, but fast enough that I can be "in control" of my car and very comfortable with.

As an old saying I always here, the key of winning the race is "consistency".

Just my personal opinion.
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 05:22 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Don't overlook the OS TR cv 12's...esp if your racing on a small to med track...they have greatmidrange..and STAY running.....and are easy to tune..
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 11:08 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This is one of those questions where you will get 15 different answers from 10 different people. I personally run a MR-12 and I love it. Good power all over our tight but fast track.Any nova rossi based engine will run great. That includes mugen, top, rex, and Rb engines. Sirio seem to be good but are more top end power based. Picco motors are good if you get the newer ones with the better carb. Team Orion Wasp motors run good, but they are just a picco. Same with Collari engines. Rossi Pixy Black is sluggish at bottom end. More suited for very large tracks. O.S. Engines are great engines to get. They are easy to tune, and do have a veryt controllable powerband. They seem to lack power though. All in all, most of the 1+ HP engines will serve you well.

-Sushi Boy
Old 06-22-2003, 11:27 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Sushi Boy, Do you have your MR-12 modified. If so, What did you do to it? Thankx

The MR-12 has been my dream engine for quite some time now, but since then I have seen so many different engines, that I have become confused on what has a better powerband. Also, is the Mr-12 hard to tune/ Some people say since it is Italian, It is hard to tune.
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 12:00 AM   #8
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Sushi Boy
Picco motors are good if you get the newer ones with the better carb. Team Orion Wasp motors run good, but they are just a picco. Same with Collari engines.
If you took a look at the revised L Collari website, they have just changed their engines from Pico based to Rossi based engines They are no more using Pico engines in their line

http://www.lcollari-innotech.com/english/home.htm
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 12:04 AM   #9
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

personally i like nova based engines, they are easy to tune and generally give me 4-5 gallons of service. .
Old 06-23-2003, 12:58 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Tag
personally i like nova based engines, they are easy to tune and generally give me 4-5 gallons of service. .
dang dude, you must not be affraid to lean that guy out, all the way out
me43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 07:53 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
If you took a look at the revised L Collari website, they have just changed their engines from Pico based to Rossi based engines They are no more using Pico engines in their line

http://www.lcollari-innotech.com/english/home.htm
Wow! I must be racing electric too much. I've been out of nitro for a while. As far as the question from dust, I do not have the modified version. I'm still in high school and it's kinda hard to spend that much money all at once . I love the powerband of it. It launchs like a rocket and just has this endless powerband down the straight away. It pulls hardest when you hit mid-high rpm, so you can probably gear it different so it stays in that rpm range more. It's so cool to watch this thing eat up a 5 port turbo outlaw motor down the straighaway. The Mt-12 is more for all round torque. The Mr-12 was supposed to replace the MT-12 but it's still no slouch. Tunning isn't that bad. You just have to get used to it. Mine isn;t tuned perfectly and it is still super fast. I love it!

-Sushi Boy
Old 06-23-2003, 12:06 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Sushi Boy
This is one of those questions where you will get 15 different answers from 10 different people. I personally run a MR-12 and I love it. Good power all over our tight but fast track.Any nova rossi based engine will run great. That includes mugen, top, rex, and Rb engines. Sirio seem to be good but are more top end power based. Picco motors are good if you get the newer ones with the better carb. Team Orion Wasp motors run good, but they are just a picco. Same with Collari engines. Rossi Pixy Black is sluggish at bottom end. More suited for very large tracks. O.S. Engines are great engines to get. They are easy to tune, and do have a veryt controllable powerband. They seem to lack power though. All in all, most of the 1+ HP engines will serve you well.

-Sushi Boy
i agree with sushi boy. i also have an MR12. Mine is running on an NTC3 and that sucker flies! A couple weekends ago i was racing and i got 3rd in the first heat and i beleive 2nd or 3rd in the second heat (even after i hit the curb and stalled the engine) and for the main i crashed out (gotta look our for the corners). but the engine is AWESOME!
alucard13 is offline   Reply With Quote