R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2003, 09:16 AM   #1
xax
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 96
Default Fps Or Ball Diff

Wanna change the rear diff for my impulse due to worn gears but dom't know which is a better choice Ball diff or FPS?CAn anyone help ?Thanks.
xax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 358
Send a message via ICQ to nizee
Default Re: Fps Or Ball Diff

Quote:
Originally posted by xax
Wanna change the rear diff for my impulse due to worn gears but dom't know which is a better choice Ball diff or FPS?CAn anyone help ?Thanks.
If u can afford the FPS, by all mean, get the FPS. I never change back to ball diff after using the FPS. Super smooth rotation that it takes longer to re-built it compare to Ball Diff.

If you worried about slight increase in weight on your car, then get the Ball Diff.

If u want to save some money, then just replace the worn out gears.
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 09:32 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
Arun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: GA
Posts: 753
Default

I have the reg. ball diff (the one with the spring steel outdrives)in my impulse and love it. I have never owned the FPS diff, but i know it is better. I'm pretty sure it has a slipper in it. So, if the diff begins to slip, it will not hurt the balls at all. Kind of like the nitro tc3 diff, but much, much, much beefier. I'm pretty sure the FPS diff only comes with the 47 tooth pulley, so you will have to purchase the 46 tooth pulley seperately.

The ball diffs are so easy to adjust, even while the car is running. All you have to do is slip a hex key in one outdrive ank turn the right wheel.

Try Winner's Circle for the diffs at gasrccar.com or 1-866-NITRORC. Lee Muse has a great thing going for serpent parts.
__________________
http://nexusracing.com
Arun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 09:51 AM   #4
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 358
Send a message via ICQ to nizee
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403
I have the reg. ball diff (the one with the spring steel outdrives)in my impulse and love it. I have never owned the FPS diff, but i know it is better. I'm pretty sure it has a slipper in it. So, if the diff begins to slip, it will not hurt the balls at all. Kind of like the nitro tc3 diff, but much, much, much beefier. I'm pretty sure the FPS diff only comes with the 47 tooth pulley, so you will have to purchase the 46 tooth pulley seperately.

The ball diffs are so easy to adjust, even while the car is running. All you have to do is slip a hex key in one outdrive ank turn the right wheel.

Try Winner's Circle for the diffs at gasrccar.com or 1-866-NITRORC. Lee Muse has a great thing going for serpent parts.
The FPS doesn't come with any pulley at all, sold separately. I've still not taking it out for re-built from the last 3 months. Unlike my ball, i've to re-built due to sand easily get into the ball and the plate.
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 10:14 AM   #5
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by nizee
The FPS doesn't come with any pulley at all, sold separately. I've still not taking it out for re-built from the last 3 months. Unlike my ball, i've to re-built due to sand easily get into the ball and the plate.
Yup, I have not rebuilt my FPS diff in my Impulse either. It is impossible for sand to enter the FPS unlike the regular ball diff.

Yes, the ball diff is lighter. Proficar mentioned that you can adjust it "externally" but still you need to take out the left rear dog bone... You need to dismantle the rear left shock and detach the upper left rear arm to the left rear knuckles to pop out the dogbone.

Unlike the FPS diff, the diff action in the ball diff will somewhat be inconsistant in a long main when the bearings start to wear out (if they wear out). The FPS diff provides constant diff action throughout the entire race as there is actually no wearing parts. It's also easy and fast if you need to adjust the rear diff settings.

With the FPS, you just need to loosen the grub screw that locks the nut and unscrew or tighten this nut to provide less or more friction for diff action. You can see in the picture attached that the diff action is somewhat provided by 2 pieces of rubber pads externally. So there is actually no wearing of parts like the bearings or thrust plates and such on the normal ball diff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fps_diff.jpg (186.1 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by InitialD; 06-17-2003 at 11:25 AM.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 10:32 AM   #6
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 358
Send a message via ICQ to nizee
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Yup, I have not rebuilt my FPS diff in my Impulse either. It is impossible for sand to enter the FPS unlike the regular ball diff.

Yes, the ball diff is lighter. Proficar mentioned that you can adjust it "externally" but still you need to take out the left rear dog bone... You need to dismantle the rear left shock and detach the upper left rear arm to the left rear knuckles to pop out the dogbone.

Unlike the normal ball diff, the diff action will somewhat be inconsistant in a long main when the bearings start to wear out (if they wear out). The FPS diff provides constant diff action throughout the entire race as there is actually no wearing parts. It's also easy and fast if you need to adjust th rear diff settings.

With the FPS, you just need to loosen the grub screw that locks the nut and unscrew or tighten this nut to provide less or more friction for diff action. You can see in the picture attached that the diff action is somewhat provided by 2 pieces of rubber pads externally. So there is actually no wearing of parts like the bearings or thrust plates and such on the normal ball diff.
Your frame kinda looks like mine....
Waiting for Modeller on the new set of frame... then my car looks new..
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 11:23 AM   #7
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by nizee
Your frame kinda looks like mine....
Waiting for Modeller on the new set of frame... then my car looks new..
I know what you mean That reminds me... I need to ask those guys who would be interested in modellor's chassis

I took a second look at the pic and the digicam really captured all the scratches

Well, the pic you see is actually the chassis from the Wolfpack for the Impulse PRO as the FPS is still in that car.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 11:33 AM   #8
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 582
Default New Ball Diff?

Hey guys,

Question- I believe I was reading somewhere in MYTSN,
Serpent was going to redesign there balldiff and
make it externally adjustable, without disassembly
of one side of the car.
Can anyone else concur with this......
BSYDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 11:39 AM   #9
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default Re: New Ball Diff?

Quote:
Originally posted by BSYDOR
Hey guys,

Question- I believe I was reading somewhere in MYTSN,
Serpent was going to redesign there balldiff and
make it externally adjustable, without disassembly
of one side of the car.
Can anyone else concur with this......
Yes, I actually forgot about that one... Thanks for reminding. This has been the rumour and is somewhat confirmed by the factory people as well and the last thing that was mentioned about it is that it is still under testing phase. When it will come out, we do not know exactly. Best is to stay tuned to mytsn. But surely, it is in the works.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 03:12 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
Arun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: GA
Posts: 753
Default

I think you all are mistaken. The reg ball diff is externally adjustable. If you look at a pic of it, it has a hole in the left outdrive that can be accessed by a hex key. This locks the diff adjustment screw, so all you have to do is turn the right wheel to tighten or loosen the diff. See the pic in the link.
http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=2227
__________________
http://nexusracing.com
Arun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 03:49 PM   #11
TAW
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 518
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TAW
Default

The ball diff has a grub screw in the right outdrive that once tighned down you cannot adjust it without taking the right bone out and loosening it.
TAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 06:59 PM   #12
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403
I think you all are mistaken. The reg ball diff is externally adjustable. If you look at a pic of it, it has a hole in the left outdrive that can be accessed by a hex key. This locks the diff adjustment screw, so all you have to do is turn the right wheel to tighten or loosen the diff. See the pic in the link.
http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=2227
Proficar, TAW is correct on this one. Once the set screw in the outdrive locks in, you cannot tighten or loosen the diff by the method outlined above. I once did what you mentioned and thought that the ball diff was really externally adjustable... Somehow I managed to change the settings BUT then the next thing I know is that the car looses rear drive because the diffs will be slipping. The reason for this is the set screw will turn loose. Every time you change the diff setting, the set screw needs to be loosened and once the diff is set, the set screw needs to be tightened back to lock the diff setting in place.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 07:59 PM   #13
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 358
Send a message via ICQ to nizee
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403
I think you all are mistaken. The reg ball diff is externally adjustable. If you look at a pic of it, it has a hole in the left outdrive that can be accessed by a hex key. This locks the diff adjustment screw, so all you have to do is turn the right wheel to tighten or loosen the diff. See the pic in the link.
http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=2227
NO, we are not wrong, we own it so we know it. Once u loosen that method, the whole diff will be loose after a few laps, like what InitialD mention. You might also damage the tread for the grub screw doing that method.
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:35 AM   #14
xax
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 96
Default

Thanks guys you have been a great help.But can you guy elaborate the function of diff i.e what will happen to the car wif a tight diff and a loose diff?Is there a standard setting or set it according to indivvidual driving style?Thanks
xax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:16 AM   #15
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

You need to set it according to your driving style and preference. A tight rear diff will give you less off power steering but more on power steering. You will want to use a loose rear diff when there isn't enough traction on the track. A loose diff will enable you to turn faster into a corner but somewhat slower out of a corner. Vice versa for a tight rear diff i.e. slow in fast out.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gear Diff VS Ball DIff NOVICE4EVER Singapore R/C Racers 23 08-29-2012 10:03 PM
losi xxxt ball diff change to a 1/10 desert truck diff newbie2 Electric Off-Road 49 12-13-2010 08:49 PM
NTC3 Complete ATD Diff, diff nut, pivot ball socket caps Judge Joe Brown R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 05-09-2008 10:18 PM
FS: T1FK'04, '04 Multi-diff, ball diff bbentley40 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 05-17-2005 08:22 PM
ball diff went bad? SnipesXxX Electric Off-Road 3 03-03-2004 09:22 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:54 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net