R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-06-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default DXF Compétition 2WD Classic 1:8

Spotted this on RedRC

http://www.dxf-competition.com/voitu...ure&menu=menu2
French manufactured 2WD 1/8. I know that 2wd is not that popular in the US, but the euro racers are developing some very nice platforms. Similar to Motonica 2WD. Check out pics and download the PDF presentation. The PDF is a CAD model you can zoom,rotate, and look completely thru the car.

http://www.dxf-competition.com/pdf/dxf_9550_301107.pdf
DogboneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
Tech Master

....i can't understand why this class is not ran in the U.S. Costs would be way cheaper than 4WD 1/8............also lower priced .21's could be spec'd.........maybe 3 port motors............
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Two wheel drive suspension cars used to be a valid class in the U.S. (in fact If I remember correctly both Ted Hammer and Brett Gottfried from Toledo are past national champs in this class) was much less demanding on motors but more demanding of setup and driving and the class dwindled away to nothing and died (see also obituary of 235mm 2wd class - even less expensive to run) because everybody gravitated to the 4wd class, don't think we need another class.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
I don't think we need another class.
I think your wrong 2wd was always a fun class to run. a lot of small custom mods you could do to make it just a little better
motojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
....i can't understand why this class is not ran in the U.S. Costs would be way cheaper than 4WD 1/8............also lower priced .21's could be spec'd.........maybe 3 port motors............
It seems like this resurgence is only in France. There's also a few notable scratchbuilders making them, since its fairly simple design. In Japan theres some folks running a 1/8th vintage series also, so I wouldn't call it completely dead yet. Seems like a great class to teach a driver throttle control for 1/8th cars and keep costs down.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

Since two wheel nitro is making a comeback Time for some oval racing!!!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
Two wheel drive suspension cars used to be a valid class in the U.S. (in fact If I remember correctly both Ted Hammer and Brett Gottfried from Toledo are past national champs in this class) was much less demanding on motors but more demanding of setup and driving and the class dwindled away to nothing and died (see also obituary of 235mm 2wd class - even less expensive to run) because everybody gravitated to the 4wd class, don't think we need another class.
I have to agree with Rick............we don't need another class. Nobody is disputing that these cars are fun, cheap to run, and focus more on driving and set-up. With attendance down for on-road, we need to focus more on getting people to the track to race the classes we have. These two wheel drives have almost no support here at all. Parts will be a big problem. Hobby shops and distributors will have to stock an almost non-existant class. That is bad business since so much is focused on off-road. With the introduction of the Kyosho IGT class, and the support with Kyosho America actively pushing the car .....this is a far better beginner class to keep costs down for the new racer.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ View Post
Parts will be a big problem.
what do you mean a big problem....what getting a diff is a big problem. thats the only thing different parts wise, everything else is the same it just matters on set up, ive raced with guys that preffered the solid axle in the rear and kept the same lap times as the 4wd guys
Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Motojohn - think you missed the point of my post - think that the two wheel classes were great for the average racer with much lower costs in many areas (tires,motors, fuel etc.)and I was sorry to see the classes go away, but we've been down that road at least three times - i.e. pan cars, 2wd 1/8th and 2wd 235mm and the classes have died from lack of participation, why repeat the past, the 2wd cars that pop up from time to time are for the most part low volume specialty units for a european class that seems to have survived, are their racers smarter than ours?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
Tech Master

i do see your point and i know im beating a dead horse....i just dont know why everyone thinks that 4wd is the only way to go fast.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Because alot of people like the point and shoot 1/8 4wd driving, 2wd is a finesse class of driving which is real driving 235 class was less maintenance and only one belt that almost last forever.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #12
Tech Master

i loved 2wd it fits me so well. I loved getting all the hand me downs form my 4wd buddies especially with the tires