R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #46
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan View Post
I would say if the deal is still there take it (be sure that its really a serpent driver) but the best thing is to buy everything new and build and learn the car as your building it. Kamikaze deal is a good one everything you need to get you going except a starterbox Sam you forgot to add a box
You are correct! Allright, it also comes with a brand new starter box and an "Igniter" for $1500.00
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 AM   #47
Tech Apprentice

It is indeed a huge list of stuff but I am going to pass as I want the pleasure of building the model. I was a lot better builder than flyer. Thanks for the continuing advice, I appreciate it.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You don't need to buy the Novarossi engines at this time but I think after you are into the hobby they last longer then anyones engine except OS but they have knowhere near the same power.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #49
Tech Apprentice

OK, what spare and tuning parts am I going to need to purchase with the 960? I would assume (I know it's a bad thing) an assortment of gears and springs. What else? Are there any of the option parts that really should be considered mandatory items on the 960-08?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #50
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSguy View Post
OK, what spare and tuning parts am I going to need to purchase with the 960? I would assume (I know it's a bad thing) an assortment of gears and springs. What else? Are there any of the option parts that really should be considered mandatory items on the 960-08?
..........steering blocks, rear uprights, upeer and lower wishbones front and rear, bumper, pillow balls............you can buy "crash kits" front and rearfrom Serpent that would give you a good start as far as spares........wouldn't really worry about option parts till you can keep it between the boards for a whole tank....................gears and spring/oil options would also be a good start...........i have some aluminum parts but didn't want to put them on last year until i quit wadding the car up....
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #51
Tech Apprentice

Upper,lower A arms,steering blocks,universal cups & shims,dog bones,Mugen Super grease for the thrust bearing(this is a must),front shock shafts,glow plugs I use #7 turbo on my Rossi motor.You might want to replace the Aluminum screw with steel allen head screws.
cmego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #52
Tech Apprentice

I have spent a lot of time since starting this thread studying the Serpent, Kyosho and Mugen's websites, downloading the manuals and reading every post in various threads on this website. With all that I have come to a conclusion, helicopters are simple in comparision. To think all this started by buying my 2 great step sons a Traxxus Jato.

I still need to talk to Taylor but am probably going to hold off on buying something till the series starts up in Toledo. Knowing how whole hog I get into something I want to make sure I am really going to like this before buying 2 cars and motors and all the spare parts.

Thank you very much to all those that took the time to respond and for sharing your experience with me.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:42 AM   #53
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

UPSguy, don't mean to change the subject on you but you said you've been into helis for the last 20 years. I'm interested in getting into a heli never flown one. Whats a good heli to start out with? Now keep in mind that I'm an old guy too, older than you are as a matter of fact. I've been told Esky is the way to go but not sure which model to go with. Don't want something I'll outgrow in a month or so and have to buy another one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks! Been looking at the Honeybee 2 King and the Belt CP by the way.
Silva Concepts R50 Oval
Custom Works Dominator; FT TC3 Trans Am
t4mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 AM   #54
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4mania View Post
UPSguy, don't mean to change the subject on you but you said you've been into helis for the last 20 years. I'm interested in getting into a heli never flown one. Whats a good heli to start out with? Now keep in mind that I'm an old guy too, older than you are as a matter of fact. I've been told Esky is the way to go but not sure which model to go with. Don't want something I'll outgrow in a month or so and have to buy another one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks! Been looking at the Honeybee 2 King and the Belt CP by the way.
....t4...check out www.runryder.com ..........lots of knowledge here on helis.......i'm sure these guys could answer any questions you may have............
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #55
Tech Addict

Thanks much Taylorm!
Silva Concepts R50 Oval
Old 02-19-2008, 11:17 AM   #56
Tech Apprentice

taylorM's link is very good advice but can be overwhelming (sort of like here) when you are a newbie. My advice would be to stay away from the small electrics, the bigger birds are much more stable. Also, the advice given here to me applies. If there is a group in your area flying, get what they have as you will have a immediate source of spare parts and knowledge. As a rule, Raptors seem to be the most popular in many areas.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #57
Tech Addict

thanks UPSguy!
Silva Concepts R50 Oval
Old 02-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #58
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default What starter box is the most commonly use?

I finally got my MRX4R now I need a starter box. What do you guys recommend getting? Thanks.
r_weezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #59
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_weezee View Post
I finally got my MRX4R now I need a starter box. What do you guys recommend getting? Thanks.
Get the Mugen on-road starter box, it's nice, light and compact, or OFNA also makes one that is light and compact, can't go wrong on either one, both needs 2 x 7.2 volts nimh or nicad stick packs to operate.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #60
Tech Apprentice

Got to the Toledo track to day to watch the action. I got to meet TaylorM who has graciously volunteered to help mentor me if I get involved in this. Pleasure to meet you finally Matt. There was some old suspender guy who was just flying he was fun to watch.