R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Racing 1/8 cars is the most exciting class in r/c the speed and aggressiveness is unreal. I started my nitro racing in a 2wd serpent impact(best class ever) then went into 1/8 with a Veteq the grip level and down force generated by the lola bodies make these cars in a sense point and shoot style driving it's not a finesse class like 2wd. And .12 touring is a great class at the moment but of course 1/8 is "top level". Car wise the Serpent 960 08' has to be my top pick, set up are always available by team drivers and the support from Serpent is top notch Engine wise for the price Mega ZX 21 DSII it is plenty fast(this will start a whole other discussion) but the price on the new nova's is really getting out of hand imo.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #32
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSguy View Post
If it does happen let me know and I'll meet you out there. Funny thing, a couple of years ago I talked with him, the reason I remember it is Snellville is where the rest of my family is.
..........yup, that's Lee from Ga............
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #33
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthondaboi View Post
If they do offer it in the area then I recommened you go with 1/10 Scale first and build up to 1/8 Scale. Plus you can actually drive your 1/10 Scale on the street if you wanted too.

Just my two cents...
.......1/10 isn't really that much cheaper.....tires cost almost as much.......and high end .12 motors can cost as much as a .21......more fuel is consumed with a .21 but with you having experience with heli's......you know about fuel consumption....

The street is no more friendly to a 1/10 sedan than a 1/8 car....they are basically a smaller version of 1/8 chassis..........
Old 01-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default New to 1/8

[QUOTE=Taylorm;4048664].......1/10 isn't really that much cheaper.....tires cost almost as much.......and high end .12 motors can cost as much as a .21......more fuel is consumed with a .21 but with you having experience with heli's......you know about fuel consumption....

The street is no more friendly to a 1/10 sedan than a 1/8 car...

I totally aggree with on that point. I would never consider running any of my 10th scale cars in the street, or even in a parking lot. When you consider the cost of the car, engine, pipe, and servos, you can easily hit $1,300.00 for a 10th scale. If they want to run in the street, then pick up an RTR for bashing.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=brc358;4048691]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
.......1/10 isn't really that much cheaper.....tires cost almost as much.......and high end .12 motors can cost as much as a .21......more fuel is consumed with a .21 but with you having experience with heli's......you know about fuel consumption....

The street is no more friendly to a 1/10 sedan than a 1/8 car...

I totally aggree with on that point. I would never consider running any of my 10th scale cars in the street, or even in a parking lot. When you consider the cost of the car, engine, pipe, and servos, you can easily hit $1,300.00 for a 10th scale. If they want to run in the street, then pick up an RTR for bashing.
Very true!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to vthondaboi Send a message via Yahoo to vthondaboi

Let's be honest, a Ford could cost as much as a Ferrarri if you wanted it too but they normally don't. 1/10s are usually cheaper to build, run and maintain.

I would never run an 1/8 Scale on the street as they don't even make normal street tires for them. 1/10 Scales are commonly run on the street. Some might not depending on how serious you were. But it's nice to be able to bring it out once in a while and test new settings on it without having to drive to the track.

Just my personal experience was that I spent a lot more on my 235mm then my 200mm.
vthondaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:43 AM   #37
Tech Regular

Quote:
OK, let me ask this another way. Turns out there is a great club in the area to join, learn and make friends at. Taylorm here has volunteered to help me out anyway he can which I am more than happy to say in public, thank you very much. Going#1, thanks for the advice and I don't mean this with any disrespect but if I can build and set up helicopters I am pretty sure I can build and set up a RC car and at least have it driveable.

So, asking the other way. Why did those of you who have 1/8th cars choose the model you did?
As I say, get the car to basically work isn't hard but there are surprises, especially on engine tuning. Aircraft engines seem to last. Car engines die rather quickly by comparison. The higher RPMs and significantly more dirt kills 'em a lot quicker. If you need advice with anything, it's engine/clutch tuning. It seems to be more art than science so find a good artist.

On the control side, flying helis are the best start you can get. Helis are about the most difficult in terms of control. Basic driving should be easy. But nitro cars have their own issues to contend with. Not to say you can't tune a heli, but cars have too many options. Advice from the experienced helps. It certainly saves a lot of time. Moving from stable to competitive car definitely takes experience.

As for model choice, I started with the Mugen MRX4 because everyone on my team had one. We just did what the top guy did which saved huge amounts of time setup wise. I then went to the 960. Serpent definitely had better documentation, more explanations of setting, etc. but the main reason was Mugen support was dead here. I had a car and was constantly waiting for critical parts like clutch shoes and springs.

As for how the cars drove, the difference wasn't significant. As for durability, in my area, it seems to me Serpent has the advantage. Although Kyosho is popular, drivers seem to suffer a slightly higher rate of parts failure. Perhaps the M3 addresses that issue. Anyone comment on that?

As for engines, no need to kill the pocket book. The Mega ZX21 OFR DSII Outlaw Power Pack is a good start. If you really crave power but don't want to blow a bundle the Mega ZX21 DSII+ EM has mondo power and is about $200+ less than competing Novarossi based engines. This isn't a Novarossi bash, it's just a fact. Novarossi charges a premium for their product. A premium that may be hard to appreciate when starting out. Save cash for premium servos. Good servos will definitely make a difference.

Rob
going4#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #38
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by going4#1 View Post
As for engines, no need to kill the pocket book. The Mega ZX21 OFR DSII Outlaw Power Pack is a good start. If you really crave power but don't want to blow a bundle the Mega ZX21 DSII+ EM has mondo power and is about $200+ less than competing Novarossi based engines. This isn't a Novarossi bash, it's just a fact. Novarossi charges a premium for their product. A premium that may be hard to appreciate when starting out. Save cash for premium servos. Good servos will definitely make a difference.

Rob
........ UPS.....here is what i'm running im my 960... http://gasrccar.com/eshop/product_in...oducts_id=3942 ...has header and pipe.....is a good buy to start with before you decide to drop the BIG money for a 'Rossi...........
Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Taylorm, I think I screwed up big time. Someone here offered me a 960 07 upgraded to 08 specs, a new motor package and a ton of spare parts for $1500. Not the best time of year to drop a wad of cash (gotta pay for the son's motorcycle)
Old 01-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default New to 1/8 on-road

Quote:
Taylorm, I think I screwed up big time. Someone here offered me a 960 07 upgraded to 08 specs, a new motor package and a ton of spare parts for $1500. Not the best time of year to drop a wad of cash (gotta pay for the son's motorcycle)
Not to put Serpent down because I think they are great cars, but $1,500.00 for a car that has been upgraded to 08 specs. seems pretty high.

You can find decent rollers for around $350.00, motor, pipe around $500.00, servos at $90.00 each, receiver for around $75.00. This is about $1,100.00<give or take a little>. There would have to be a HUGE amount of parts for the remainder $400.00
Just a thought for you to think about.
But good luck with what ever you deceide on.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #41
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post
Not to put Serpent down because I think they are great cars, but $1,500.00 for a car that has been upgraded to 08 specs. seems pretty high.

You can find decent rollers for around $350.00, motor, pipe around $500.00, servos at $90.00 each, receiver for around $75.00. This is about $1,100.00<give or take a little>. There would have to be a HUGE amount of parts for the remainder $400.00
Just a thought for you to think about.
But good luck with what ever you deceide on.
Or a brand new 08' kit with a brand new motor (PICCO P9), brand new pipe (PICCO 2033 pipe set), 2 brand new Futaba Digital servos, a brand new receiver, a brand new Rx battery pack with a set of tires and a nicely painted JGO body for less than $1500.00.

p.s. 08 upgrade parts for the 960 are not even out in the US yet.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #42
Tech Apprentice

Team serpent driver and it was a HUGE list of parts.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I would say if the deal is still there take it (be sure that its really a serpent driver) but the best thing is to buy everything new and build and learn the car as your building it. Kamikaze deal is a good one everything you need to get you going except a starterbox Sam you forgot to add a box
Old 01-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #44
Tech Master

Quote:
Team serpent driver and it was a HUGE list of parts.
....how HUGE on the parts?......if enough to replace everything?............may be an ok deal........if not...........buy new..........
Old 01-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #45
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan View Post
I would say if the deal is still there take it (be sure that its really a serpent driver) but the best thing is to buy everything new and build and learn the car as your building it. Kamikaze deal is a good one everything you need to get you going except a starterbox Sam you forgot to add a box
....he can share my starter with me this year if he wants to save a little.................