R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #16
Tech Master

http://www.motonicausa.com/index.html .............here's a link to Motonica if you want to run this...........
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Maybe I should just start a collection and get one of each

Let's see, 1 Serpent 960 08, 1 Kyosho M3, 1 Mugen MRX4-X, one of those Motonica 08 that TaylorM mentioned and one of the Sheperds that no one has mentioned yet.

Boy is my wife going to be ticked off big time.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSguy View Post

Let's see, 1 Serpent 960 08, 1 Kyosho M3, 1 Mugen MRX4-X, one of those Motonica 08 that TaylorM mentioned and one of the Sheperds that no one has mentioned yet.

.........wait till you tell her how much a top of the line 'rossi is gonna cost her....um....you......
Old 01-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

I can't very well share 1 engine between 5 cars no can I?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:35 PM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
I can't very well share 1 engine between 5 cars no can I?
....no, you're gonna need 5 of these ..http://gasrccar.com/eshop/product_in...oducts_id=4771 ...............that will be 2,750.00...thank you, please pull ahead.................
Old 01-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

So my total is what? I might have to go back to helicopters to save some money

And all this started by getting my 2 step sons a toy for Christmas, go figure.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4

UPSGuy, I drive all mugen cars. I chose mugen due to the local support, parts availability and the quality of the plastic parts and just the way the whole car goes together. They are easy to setup and drive very nice.

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
So my total is what? I might have to go back to helicopters to save some money

And all this started by getting my 2 step sons a toy for Christmas, go figure.
.........who you foolin' UPS?............i've been a spectator on www.runryder.com .............you heli guys spend CRAZYbig money on your birds..........
Old 01-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default New to 1/8 on-road

Quote:

Try each one and see which one you like to drive the best.
Ask a couple of your friends at te track if you can take a couple of easy laps with their cars.
Or do what I did.
I have three Evolvas,one Mugen MRX4X,one Delta, and one XR-8.
They all do drive a little different though.
I am fourtunate, that in my area, parts availiability is not a problem.
But I tell ya what though, when you start buying motors, pipes,servos,and all of the other items, it does add up. Plus the fact that only a couple of the cars work on the same starter box, which means I have to drag around three different boxes.
But of all of these cars, I would have to rate them as #1, Mugen,#2 Evolva,#3Delta<same as Evolva pretty much> and then #4 XR-8.
I have let some of my friends drive mine, and they were able to choose which car they did like. And it was pretty even between the Mugen and Kyosho
Once you get into it, it is very addicting, and the competition is great.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #25
Tech Adept

i recommend you go to your localtrack and see the cars run then look at them see which one you like thengo to your local hobbie and see what they carry then as long as you have local suppot that the car youi buy. and yes i have a delta(kyosho), serpent 960-2, and mugan mrx4-x. they all drive differently. i have driven the motonica, the slide and a few others. each one of these cars have there own querks. but all can be competitive in any conditions. i think the serpent is better in low bite, kyosho in med bite and the mugan in high bite.(note: this is my opinion) out of the box seups, but all can be adjusted to run in any conditions.

motors are a different story. all of them have a different break in proceedure. they are all fast. stay with picco, rb, nova rossi, ninja,serio. i personally believe the best buy right now is the picco p9 due to price and the ease of breakin. all the other motors are very good but as i say, which ever one you buy, get the breakin proceedure for it ,before youy do anything, if you dont be prepared to buy a new one or piston and sleeve.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
.........who you foolin' UPS?............i've been a spectator on www.runryder.com .............you heli guys spend CRAZYbig money on your birds..........

Yea, usually only out done by the Jet Jockies, now there is some insane money up in the air. True story, had a $2500 bird up in the air and had a mid air with a <$200 plane. The guy actually had the nerve to come yelling at me saying I did it on purpose

New3, thank you for your breakdown of the differences, that is good info that I was looking for. The only problem there is here in OH it is sort of cold right now and nobody is racing so I cannot watch what is going in. There also aren't local hobby shops (AFAIK) stocking anything for these cars. So, if I want to be able to start when things kick off this year I need to buy now.

Actually, since for some stange reason Serpent is/was my first choice and TaylorM who has graciously offered to help in any way he can has a Serpent 960, it would make sense for me to get a 960 so we can compare notes.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by new3 View Post
i recommend you go to your localtrack and see the cars run then look at them see which one you like thengo to your local hobbie and see what they carry then as long as you have local suppot that the car youi buy. and yes i have a delta(kyosho), serpent 960-2, and mugan mrx4-x. they all drive differently. i have driven the motonica, the slide and a few others. each one of these cars have there own querks. but all can be competitive in any conditions. i think the serpent is better in low bite, kyosho in med bite and the mugan in high bite.(note: this is my opinion) out of the box seups, but all can be adjusted to run in any conditions.

motors are a different story. all of them have a different break in proceedure. they are all fast. stay with picco, rb, nova rossi, ninja,serio. i personally believe the best buy right now is the picco p9 due to price and the ease of breakin. all the other motors are very good but as i say, which ever one you buy, get the breakin proceedure for it ,before youy do anything, if you dont be prepared to buy a new one or piston and sleeve.
Great advice....
Old 01-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
The only problem there is here in OH it is sort of cold right now and nobody is racing so I cannot watch what is going in. There also aren't local hobby shops (AFAIK) stocking anything for these cars. So, if I want to be able to start when things kick off this year I need to buy now.

Actually, since for some stange reason Serpent is/was my first choice and TaylorM who has graciously offered to help in any way he can has a Serpent 960, it would make sense for me to get a 960 so we can compare notes.
.......what do you mean? its 60 degrees as i type this.....i was hoping it will stay up to 60 degrees till Wednesday and the track dries out enough to run on.........but, it's Ohio, probably won't happen........UPS.....did you call Lee yet??..............he will hook you up w/any car you decide to go with........Later, Matt.......
Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #29
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
.......what do you mean? its 60 degrees as i type this.....i was hoping it will stay up to 60 degrees till Wednesday and the track dries out enough to run on.........but, it's Ohio, probably won't happen........UPS.....did you call Lee yet??..............he will hook you up w/any car you decide to go with........Later, Matt.......
If it does happen let me know and I'll meet you out there. Funny thing, a couple of years ago I talked with him, the reason I remember it is Snellville is where the rest of my family is.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to vthondaboi Send a message via Yahoo to vthondaboi

I never raced 1/8 Scale but did have a Serpent Impact a while back which was one step down. I jumped into it just a couple of months after discovering 1/10 Scale Touring. Bad mistake on my part. Broke a lot of parts. Had trouble tuning engines. Just way over my head and pocketbook.

If they do offer it in the area then I recommened you go with 1/10 Scale first and build up to 1/8 Scale. Plus you can actually drive your 1/10 Scale on the street if you wanted too.

Just my two cents...
vthondaboi is offline   Reply With Quote