Wiki Posts
Search

8th scale car for a 15 year old

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default 8th scale car for a 15 year old

I am looking into getting an 8th scael car, I have been running both electric and nitro touring for about 3 years now. The track I race at primarly has 8th scale and it look very fun. Would someone my age be able to handel the speed if they had enough pocket change to afford it or would you think they would break to much. any suggestions on gear since I have never done anything like this before.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

My suggestion, since I know who you are is to look at the 1/8 GT cars. they are somewhat inexpensive compared to the full blown open 1/8 scale cars. You could probably get into it for around $400.00 ready to go compared to $1500.00 plus. The class is gaining alot of popularity locally and throughout the midwest too.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Age has nothing to do with running 1/8 scale. Actually, being younger may even help you master it faster. I know a couple of young prodigies that are very good even though they are very young.

Since you have been running electric and nitro for 3 years I am sure you will be competitive after adjusting to the car. Shouldn't take you long at all. Go for it!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

i started racing 1/8th scale when i was 15 and i loved it
Old 04-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I remember a long time ago there was this kid running 1/8. I think he was younger than 15 at the time. He was actually pretty good.

I think his name was Chris Tosolini.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racingboy14
I am looking into getting an 8th scael car, I have been running both electric and nitro touring for about 3 years now. The track I race at primarly has 8th scale and it look very fun. Would someone my age be able to handel the speed if they had enough pocket change to afford it or would you think they would break to much. any suggestions on gear since I have never done anything like this before.
...........if you have been running nitro touring you should be fine running 1/8....just remember tires, motors, fuel, etc. will cost more that touring........if you can swing it financially, go for it.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1fastdude
My suggestion, since I know who you are is to look at the 1/8 GT cars. they are somewhat inexpensive compared to the full blown open 1/8 scale cars. You could probably get into it for around $400.00 ready to go compared to $1500.00 plus. The class is gaining alot of popularity locally and throughout the midwest too.
thanks eli, I wsa thinking about those cars still deciding. My main reason for the 8th scale is that it seems that it would help my become better at driving, driving with the fast guys, also the chassis setup and tuning are something I have been trying to learn. But I think my Dad my be interetsted in that class for himself. If anyone has an old 8th scale that you can still get parts for I may be intereted depending on the price.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

sounds alot like my story, i started when i was 10 raced bioth electic and nitro sedan for 3 years, then i graduated up to 1/10th 4wd for 2 years, which was an awesome class to help my driving skill, but that class no longer exists. like eli said, and hes a good buddy of mine as well, i would suggest that you run the gt class to help buff your skills and then get into 8th scale. i staretd running 8th when i was 15 as well but i had 5 years experience beforehand. 8th scale is a ton of fun but the equipment aint gettin any cheaper, if it wasnt for my dad helpin me out i wouldnt be able to do it. im currently 18 so im entering my 9th year of rc racing. hope this may be of help in your decision making.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Racingboy14, you have a PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EvolvaRacer20
sounds alot like my story, i started when i was 10 raced bioth electic and nitro sedan for 3 years, then i graduated up to 1/10th 4wd for 2 years, which was an awesome class to help my driving skill, but that class no longer exists. like eli said, and hes a good buddy of mine as well, i would suggest that you run the gt class to help buff your skills and then get into 8th scale. i staretd running 8th when i was 15 as well but i had 5 years experience beforehand. 8th scale is a ton of fun but the equipment aint gettin any cheaper, if it wasnt for my dad helpin me out i wouldnt be able to do it. im currently 18 so im entering my 9th year of rc racing. hope this may be of help in your decision making.
Do you think Ill gain that much more experience in the gt class then I would if I just kept racing 10th scale. Also how much did it cost you to get a setup, I paint quite a few bodies so Im not short on money but Im not flowing with it either.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Addict

no definately not those cars are a fun way to get into the hobby and be competative go with eighth scale you will be much happier thos igt cars would be like taking a step back also i would run sedan untill you master it i jumped into eighth scale and now i am running sedan again
Old 04-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

racingboy14, you have PM.