R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 1/8 onroad for dirt ovals

OK guys it's been a very long time since I owned an onroad 1/8th scale and back when I raced the vector was the car to own.

I'm now into dirt oval racing and most guys are converting a 1/8 buggy to race dirt ovals.
I'm wondering if by any chance the 1/8 onroad cars can be sued and be competitive on the dirt?
There are a few concerns... the lack of suspension travel is one and tires are another. I can't remember much detail but if any of the cars ahve belts this to can pose a problem. So I'm reaching out to the guys that are active with these cars now that can give some input on what your thoughts are converting one of these over to dirt oval racing.

James
22dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22dasher View Post
OK guys it's been a very long time since I owned an onroad 1/8th scale and back when I raced the vector was the car to own.

I'm now into dirt oval racing and most guys are converting a 1/8 buggy to race dirt ovals.
I'm wondering if by any chance the 1/8 onroad cars can be sued and be competitive on the dirt?
There are a few concerns... the lack of suspension travel is one and tires are another. I can't remember much detail but if any of the cars ahve belts this to can pose a problem. So I'm reaching out to the guys that are active with these cars now that can give some input on what your thoughts are converting one of these over to dirt oval racing.

James
You might want to check out the offroad & oval threads.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
Tech Elite

When racing on blue groove tracks I have the same thought about how fun it would be to run a on road Mugen/Serpent on some of these tracks. You nailed it when you were talking about the belts and lack of suspention travel. Cleaning a 8th scale in off road guies would be a nightmare. I would not do it to mine.
There are many 1/8 scale on road buggy based cars out there. There is the rally class out there. Some have 2speeds (Inferno GT & Ofna GTPII). They fly and have the suspention to take up the jumps and bumps. They are alos built like tanks. You have to try to break something in order to be sidelined.
Me, I own a nest of Serpents. I would not convert my snakes to off road. Thats why I have my Jammins!
Old 12-26-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Thanks for input, it was a thought guess not a good one but figured I'd ask if it was feasable to do so. always looking for the edge if you know what I mean. I've always been the type to step outside the box and this was one of those times. I pretty much figured if it could be done you guys that own and race these speed demons would know best.

Thanks for your time.

James
Old 12-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have thought about this also. Watch the world of outlaws late models and watch how the suspension is set up. I think it is very possible to do this with an 8th scale. I forget what company made them but some company used to make a rubber rain tire for the 8th scale. If you can find a set of these you would be set. Now my biggest concern is the belts. Mostly the side belt. But you could convert the car to 2 wheel drive, take out the straight axle and put in a diff. And then just find a way to rig up some kind of a belt guard. In florida the run xray 007s on a dirt oval in florida. I would assume it is a similar concept. Good luck. I hope you go forward with this and let us all know how it goes!!!
joezjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Tech Regular

unless I can find a company that makes the 1/8 scale onroads with shaft drive rather than a belt drive I'll probably scratch the idea. Although my 1/4 scale sprint uses a belt it's much higher off the ground and we manufacture a dirt shield for the pinion gear and that works fine.

James