R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Moving up from an RS4?

Hey guys/gals,

I raced my original RS4 nitro in local parking lot races for the 1999 and 2000 seasons with decent success. After many years away from the hobby, I want to get back in. After looking around on the web, I see the HPI kits are essentially the same with exceptions of two speed trannys and shaft drive.

I was wondering about picking up a V1RRR Evo WC or a MTX4R. The last 3 years I have been studying full scale road race chassis set up and am intrigued by the amount of adjustability these kits offer.

How different do the race chassis feel from the RS4s? The biggest downside I noticed when running my RS4 was it felt heavy, I could feel the heft in high speed sweepers and when slowing for hairpins.

I ran on rubber tires both of those seasons and would like to step up to a car designed to run on foam.

Any thoughts from people who have made the step up from their 1st Nitro car?
92mnstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The MTX4-r is a good choice imo since the set up out of the box really is a good starting point for most tracks with just changes to droop to get it close to perfect at most tracks...
Old 12-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I like the RRR, but the MTX4 is good as well, both will feel like 'propper' racing cars when compared to the RS4.
pitbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

A little history on the cars I've driven for nitro touring....in 2001, I had a 4tec then went to an NTC3...that lasted about 2 years and I also had a Super Nitro RS4. I tried a Serpent in 2003 and then went to an MTX3 then the MTX4 and just this year after being with a Mugen for 3 years, I went to an Xray NT1. What I have learned since being with the Xray is that I have spent much less on parts and other items since running it. If I had my choice and the Xray was the car that was out when I started (and I knew then what I know now) I would have gotten the Xray. The cars that are out now, the RRR, MTX4r, NT1, and the 720 are all capable cars. What you should look at when making a decision is parts abailability is like where you run. If you are running a car that nobody else is running and thier is no parts abailable in the area, you might be a spectator.

Good luck and take the time to make a wise and well informed decision.

Ask around and see what parts are breaking on the cars that they run.
That will give you a good idea as to what parts to stock in your parts supply.
rcfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz View Post
A little history on the cars I've driven for nitro touring....in 2001, I had a 4tec then went to an NTC3...that lasted about 2 years and I also had a Super Nitro RS4. I tried a Serpent in 2003 and then went to an MTX3 then the MTX4 and just this year after being with a Mugen for 3 years, I went to an Xray NT1. What I have learned since being with the Xray is that I have spent much less on parts and other items since running it. If I had my choice and the Xray was the car that was out when I started (and I knew then what I know now) I would have gotten the Xray. The cars that are out now, the RRR, MTX4r, NT1, and the 720 are all capable cars. What you should look at when making a decision is parts abailability is like where you run. If you are running a car that nobody else is running and thier is no parts abailable in the area, you might be a spectator.

Good luck and take the time to make a wise and well informed decision.

Ask around and see what parts are breaking on the cars that they run.
That will give you a good idea as to what parts to stock in your parts supply.
Great advice rcfoolz,
I would recommend V1RRR easy to setup and drive right out the box.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:49 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

I have a ocmplete rtr rrr evo with most wc options and spare clutch and shock set with heaps of parts for sale if you like...

its on ebay at the moment...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kyosho-V-one-...QQcmdZViewItem
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:41 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Some people tend to not believe sponsored drivers so I am going to try and keep this post to facts.

1st: As has been advised previously, look for parts availablilty. If I saw correctly you are in southern california which means parts are readily available for both cars. This also means that there are plenty of drivers with both cars that can help you with whichever choice you make.

I have experience racing both cars for at least one year. 1st the MTX and now the Kyosho. I go faster and have had less breakage with the Kyosho. I have visited the same tracks with both cars and have consistantly gong faster with the Kyosho. You don't have to believe me, because the results are available online and the timer doesn't lie.

BTW: They are both very good cars and will be a big step up from the HPI.

One shameless plug. Ybslowinc.com makes very good hopups for both of the cars you are looking at.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the advice thus far. I am really torn between the Kyosho and the Mugen. The first car I was looking at was the V1RRR evo WC kit.

One issue is that I am in Minnesota. There are no parts out here except for the RS4s, so either way I'd have to carry spares. My local shop owners did say they would carry the Mugen parts for me if I bought the kit from them. I am sure they'd do the same for Kyosho. It seems most racers running the R40s and V1s are just buying parts on-line instead of the shop they are racing out of.

Do both cars use the same width tires? I always ran 26mm tires on front and rear with the RS4. Do people run 28mm foam tires on the front and rear of these cars?

I will be running one parking lot and one circuit. I can race two days a week, then. I want a car that will give the me least amount of trouble, but I want the features of a real race kit. I don't see myself bashing except for initial testing.

If I got the Mugen, I'd run the Ninja MR12... Any comments there?

Last edited by 92mnstanger; 12-23-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:02 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

and don't forget to keep the Rs4 so you can run it in the HPI challenge this year...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

I found a R40 kit at a nearby Hobby Shop. They only want $239 for it. Seems like a cheap way to get back in.

1) What am I giving up by getting an older kit like the R40?

2) Are they still being used in the club/local levels?

Steve

Otherwise, it looks like I'll be taking Scott's advice and picking up a V1RRR evo kit.

Last edited by 92mnstanger; 12-31-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92mnstanger View Post
I found a R40 kit at a nearby Hobby Shop. They only want $239 for it. Seems like a cheap way to get back in.

Steve

Otherwise, it looks like I'll be taking Scott's advice and picking up a V1RRR evo kit.
Great choice going with V1RRR you will have faster lap times I know I did by a whole sec.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:51 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92mnstanger View Post

Steve

I believe that the R40 was discontinued. Go for the V1, is definitely better.