R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Fuel gun or Bottle (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/195959-fuel-gun-bottle.html)

advfuel 12-16-2007 06:27 PM

Fuel gun or Bottle

I am looking at purchasing a fuel gun to speed up my pit stops. I would like to hear peoples views on a gun or is it a waist of money.
Is there any modifacations needed to the body like a larger front window hole ETC as we cant have any holes in the roof besides for glow starter.
There is no one else using it at our club but I am thinking of a edge for next season.
Even though they are probley reading this I would like to try something different.:sneaky::D
Thanks

Ivan Dickson 12-16-2007 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by advfuel (Post 3978584)
I am looking at purchasing a fuel gun to speed up my pit stops. I would like to hear peoples views on a gun or is it a waist of money.
Is there any modifacations needed to the body like a larger front window hole ETC as we cant have any holes in the roof besides for glow starter.
There is no one else using it at our club but I am thinking of a edge for next season.
Even though they are probley reading this I would like to try something different.:sneaky::D
Thanks

I see the expert guy's using them at the track were I race at and it does speed up your pit stops because it shoots the fuel straight into the fuel tank I think it is a good investment.:nod::nod::tire::tire:

olev 12-17-2007 02:36 AM

You MUST have the refuel hole directly over the gas tank for the gun to work properly. There's no way it will work through front window or something like that.
And even if you do everything properly, be prepared to have lots of fuel overspray all over your car after the race.
I don't use a gun myself, the 2 seconds saved in the pit are not worth the extra hassle for me. Life is a lot easier with a normal fuel bottle.

aussies1129 12-17-2007 04:32 AM

I have a gun and only use it on the big races I got mine from rcunion and it wasnt cheap make sure you have good breather holes so it delivers the fuel in an instant!also to try and prevent over filling make sure you know your fuel usage which can be kinda tricky to try and work how much fuel you should put in, the other is make sure your pit man knows how to properly use it or there could be fuel all over the show and not in the tank as guns can only be pointed down.
cheers:)

Scott Fisher 12-17-2007 10:11 AM

A good pit guy with a fuel gun is faster than using a bottle. I don't know about the rules used where you race.

Roar rules say essentially you can cut a up to a 60mm cooling hole in the front windshield and a smaller one (I don't remember the size limit) directly above fuel tank lid. Most people just cut one 60mm hole above the tank lid. Last years rule said that if you just use one 60mm hole for cooling/refueling that at least half of the hole must be in the front windshield.d

Now, I don't know what the rule actually says, but I do know that it is legal to center the hole above the tank lid. In most cars this means about 60% of the hole will be in the roof, and 40% will be in the front windshield. They removed the requirement that half the hole must be in the windshield.

Proline and Losi both make good affordable fuel guns.

Sow&Steady 12-17-2007 10:16 AM

Agree with Scott, a good pit guy with a gun is much faster than the best pit guy with a fuel bottle.

For EFRA/BRCA, it is generally accepted that the center of the hole is directly over the center of the tank's opening. Of course, the center of both "circles" can only be eye-balled.

JASON MAC 12-17-2007 02:24 PM

My pitman uses a Proline gun and it is faster then a bottle. Pits with a bottle 4-5 seconds, with the gun about 2 seconds. If your lap times are 15-16 seconds that can equal 1 lap over a 30min race.

olev 12-18-2007 05:41 AM

There's no doubt gun is faster than a bottle. The point is, is it really worth the hassle for Joe Average, and my answer would be no. One lap over 30 minutes is a huge thing, if you're battling for world champs, but if you are running at your club and loosing 1 lap every 5 minutes to your local competitors, fuel gun will only make you look more pathetic.
But if overkill is barely enough for you guys, then gun is the way to go:p

Sow&Steady 12-18-2007 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by olev (Post 3983988)
There's no doubt gun is faster than a bottle. The point is, is it really worth the hassle for Joe Average, and my answer would be no. One lap over 30 minutes is a huge thing, if you're battling for world champs, but if you are running at your club and loosing 1 lap every 5 minutes to your local competitors, fuel gun will only make you look more pathetic.
But if overkill is barely enough for you guys, then gun is the way to go:p

I agree with this too. I have a fuel gun and only have it out at National level races, never at club ones. Even at the Nationals, I've only used it when I'm in the A and that, unfortunately is NOT often enough! :lol:

dj apolaro 12-18-2007 09:58 AM

I used to think the same thing, that the gun was not really needed. I am not a very fast pit man, but found it safer to use the gun. As long as you make sure the gun is in the tank, you do not make a mess and possible put fuel in the electronics. For all mains I use a gun to help people. I am still slow, but have never made a fuel error, knock on wood. It is always full and never on the electronics. I have lost a lot of races by getting splashed all over.

DJ Apolaro

bvoltz 08-25-2008 06:17 PM

What is a good fuel gun? I understand that Proline has a good one and it does not leak, unlike some others out on the market..

Can anyone give us the pro and con of the different better guns out on the market...

wingracer 08-25-2008 06:26 PM

I have the RB gun and I think it's the best out there.

The fastest pit man I ever saw used a bottle. I think it was Blackletter at the worlds in Cinci but not sure. The car never really stopped moving.

dj apolaro 08-25-2008 06:28 PM

Xceed makes a good one !!!!!!!!

DJ Apolaro

Team Kamikaze 08-25-2008 06:36 PM

XCEED is good because it does not have the vent tubes sticking out, less prone to leakage, and the body is clear, which you can see if there is fuel in it or not.

Francis M. 08-25-2008 06:54 PM

I like the fuel gun just because you know the tank is always full on everystop....