R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-19-2008, 11:50 PM   #16
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNB View Post
Last year my schedule was RCX, LA Zoo, and LVGP. I made it back the same day my credentials were available for the Grand Prix--then three days of shooting and walking the track.

Anyway, I took this photo today at the Airtronics race, but since it also has "Motonica" on it, I thought it fit this thread as well.

AWESOME....
ocktoberfest00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

It was announced yesterday at the track, that IGT will be added as a class to this race.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Then we should be a little more specific on the rules for that class. We should have some parameters so that we can tech them....

.... Or... run the class (IGT) as we ran it yesterday... pretty simple rules....
Zootcapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootcapri View Post
Then we should be a little more specific on the rules for that class. We should have some parameters so that we can tech them....

.... Or... run the class (IGT) as we ran it yesterday... pretty simple rules....
I say we make some rules for this class. Of course I would like to see a spec class to keep the cars very close to stock. My preference would be to keep this class inexpensive. Too many hopups and I will just get an Evolva M3.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #20
Tech Addict

From the GT based thread on this site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMD [View]

Jspeed, can you post the rules again for these classes that RC Pro series will be using? Thank you.

These rules were sent by the President of RC Pro.

RC Pro “Rally” Rules

These are new classes and as such the rules are being developed. Our goal with the spec class is to find a low cost entry class to get new racers interested in the onroad side of our sport.

Kyosho Inferno GT Spec Class Rules:
*If it doesn’t say you can do it, you CAN’T DO IT.

Car Rules
1. Upgrade brakes.
2. Upgrade radio gear (servos, linkage, receiver and radio).
3. Add sway bars (front and rear)
4. Shock and diff oils can be changed.
5. Any shock position, caster position, ect., provided by the car (no drilling holes).
6. You may use a starter box, but pull-start must remain intact and operational.
7. Clutch gearing may change (14-15 first gear, 17-18-19 second gear, kyosho only).
8. Replacing threaded links with turnbuckles.
9. Kyosho V-slick in any of the 3 compounds for tires. Treaded kit tires are allowed.
Tires must be fully covered by the body. Treaded kit tires may be used. Tires must be
rubber. NO foam tires. Tire must be used as produced by the manufacturer.

Body Rules
Must be a full body (GT, sedan etc no buggy, truck, suv bodies)
1. Body must be cut on the manufacturer line.
2. You may cut the rear of the body no higher than 1 1/8th” when sitting flat on a surface.
3. Side window may be cut open for fueling.
4. Front window may be cut, but no larger than 3”x3”.
5. Rear window may be cut out.
6. You may cut a hole for the glow plug ignitor.
7. Fueling access may be cut but may not connect with other holes.
8. Wing must be attached to the body and not the chassis.

These are the only changes allowed to the vehicle from the box.

Kyosho Inferno GT SS Class Rules:

Car Rules
1. Must be Kyosho GT or Kyosho buggy converted to a GT car.
2. Engine may be changed to any .28 or smaller engine.
3. Pipe may be changed to any legal pipe. Exhaust pipe must be covered by the body.
Max Stinger diameter - 8mm
Max stinger length 15mm
Must meet standard decibel level rule. The maximum sound level is 85 decibels, measured at a ninety degree angle to the side of the car from a distance of 30 feet, 3 feet above the ground, with the car at maximum throttle and at all speeds.
4. Any chassis or suspension upgrade is legal providing the vehicle maintains the proper measurements as listed below..
5. Wheelbase
Minimum 270mm - Maximum 330mm
6. Minimum weight 112oz. (7lbs) Dry (no fuel).
7. Kyosho V-slick in any of the 3 compounds for tires. Tire must be used as produced by the manufacturer.
Maximum tire diameter - 3.6 in.
Maximum width - 1.9 in.
Tires must be fully covered by the body. Treaded kit tires may be used. Tires must be rubber. NO foam tires.
8. Fuel system- Maximum capacity 125cc this includes fuel tank, filter(s) and fuel line from tank to carb.
9. Center diff - may be solid spool or diff. Vehicle may be 1 or 2 speed.

Body Rules
2. You may cut the rear of the body no higher than 1 1/8th” when sitting flat on a surface.

1/8 Rally Open Rules:

Car Rules
1. May be any 1/8 buggy converted to run as a GT type car.
2. May use any engine .28 or smaller.
3. Pipe may be changed to any legal pipe. Exhaust pipe must be covered by the body.
Max Stinger diameter - 8mm
Max stinger length 15mm
Must meet standard decibel level rule. The maximum sound level is 85 decibels, measured at a ninety degree angle to the side of the car from a distance of 30 feet, 3 feet above the ground, with the car at maximum throttle and at all speeds.
4. Wheelbase
Minimum 270mm - Maximum 330mm
6. Minimum weight 112oz. (7lbs) Dry (no fuel).
7. Any tire built for 1/8 rally type racing. FOAM tires OK. Tire may be slick or treaded. No sectioning, narrowing or cutting of the tire carcass allowed. Grooving or sipping is allowed. Any inner foam is allowed.

Maximum tire diameter - 3.6 in.
Maximum width - 1.9 in.

Tires must be fully covered by the body.

8. Fuel system- Maximum capacity 125cc this includes fuel tank, filter(s) and fuel line
from tank to carb.

9. Center diff - may be solid spool or diff. Vehicle may be 1 or 2 speed.

Body Rules

There are three classes listed here. The SS class may fit what most people brought to the Airtronics GP... other than the tire rules... I would leave that to any rubber (no foams) tire. It is a good place to start IMO.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Is there forum for the IGT car, I thinking of getting one but like to know more about them and setup ect.
Robert R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Follow this thread about the IGT:

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=183735
Old 01-22-2008, 06:49 AM   #23
Suspended

Quote:
Follow this thread about the IGT:

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=183735
what does IGT mean?
ocktoberfest00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:56 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Shortened 'Inferno GT' (IGT) as in Kyosho Inferno GT
Old 01-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #25
Tech Elite

I would be down for running in the spec class. I watched a guy right after the Airtronics GP spend over $250 for chassis and suspension hopups for his car. To me this defeats the purpose of the class. Keep it simple and inexpensive. If we are all racing basically the same cars, it comes down to the drivers.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hehe, that was me Scott (Matt Lund). For the most part, those parts were bling and don't make anyone's car more competitive. The only reason I could even remotely justify the cost was that we race the IGT class pretty frequently during the summer here in Utah. So it's one of my main three classes.

The only practical reason for some of them was to provide some additional options for setup. For instance, more options for toe angles front and rear, etc. However, Kyosho sells plastic parts that would achieve the same thing at a fraction of the cost! I guess you could argue that sometimes you get some durability benefits from alumunim parts but you add weight so I think most serious racers avoid unnecessary aluminum. (I'm not a serious racer - yet )

One other thing - I'm really going to be in the minority here but I would recommend allowing foam at this particular track for the IGT class. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this at other tracks but the rubber didn't hook up there in the Silver Bowl. People who buy the RTR car realize that the stock tires wear out extremely quickly anyway and given how long foam lasts at the Silver Bowl, some $40 foam tires will last a long long time. Foam tires of any shore will hook up better than rubber so I wouldn't even be worried about the need to have lots of different shore choices the way you have to in 1/10th or 1/8th. One other option would be to include a hand-out set of foams for anyone running the IGT class. Like I say, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this suggestion but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Last edited by Arboleda; 01-23-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Arboleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arboleda View Post
Hehe, that was me Scott (Matt Lund). For the most part, those parts were bling and don't make anyone's car more competitive. The only reason I could even remotely justify the cost was that we race the IGT class pretty frequently during the summer here in Utah. So it's one of my main three classes.

The only practical reason for some of them was to provide some additional options for setup. For instance, more options for toe angles front and rear, etc. However, Kyosho sells plastic parts that would achieve the same thing at a fraction of the cost! I guess you could argue that sometimes you get some durability benefits from alumunim parts but you add weight so I think most serious racers avoid unnecessary aluminum. (I'm not a serious racer - yet )

One other thing - I'm really going to be in the minority here but I would recommend allowing foam at this particular track for the IGT class. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this at other tracks but the rubber didn't hook up there in the Silver Bowl. People who buy the RTR car realize that the stock tires wear out extremely quickly anyway and given how long foam lasts at the Silver Bowl, some $40 foam tires will last a long long time. Foam tires of any shore will hook up better than rubber so I wouldn't even be worried about the need to have lots of different shore choices the way you have to in 1/10th or 1/8th. One other option would be to include a hand-out set of foams for anyone running the IGT class. Like I say, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this suggestion but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Foam hooking up better than the rubber, eh? It seemed the medial pro tires worked the best as they qualified 1,2! Nothing personal Matt. Additionally, decent rubber tires for the IGT cars should last a decent time. My only concern with foams for those cars is the weight of the car might cause the tire to chunk if the traction is hooked up. In that case, there goes a tire that can't be repaired. At least when my medial pro tire came off the wheel I was able to glue it back on which didn't end the life of the wheel/tire for the main.

As this class seems to still be in its infancy in some places, I think it would be best to implement some rules that the track enforces. Granted, I'm sure my car would not have passed the rules as it was over sized, but that could be taken as a handicap as well. Never the less, it made it around the track pretty well until I broke in the main....
technazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Rubber tires only. IMO

I have posed the question about rules for the next race. Garen wants them to stay the same (the basic 4 rules). Scott is leaning on the Stock rules. I am partial to the SS class rules. None of the other organizations running IGT allow foams and in most instances list the Kyosho V-slicks as the only tire allowed.

Rich, your race... how do you want us to play (or is it too soon after the lasts race .... recovery period?... ;-) )
Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by technazi View Post
Foam hooking up better than the rubber, eh? It seemed the medial pro tires worked the best as they qualified 1,2!

That wouldn't address the foam question as all cars were on rubber tires. There were no foams run in the main though I was made aware of a car running them in a qualifier.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #30
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to richey

Quote:
Rich, your race... how do you want us to play (or is it too soon after the lasts race .... recovery period?... ;-) )
Well i would like to think of this as a drivers class so the rubber tires would help along those lines. i think we all need to sit down and talk and find a happy med. I know it is impossible to make everyone happy but lets work something out next week and get them posted soon to give people time to plan and get ready. Yes Bill recovery period, but its about over
JoshStevensFoundation.org
richey is offline   Reply With Quote