R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default On Road RC Racer...mini magazine?

Hey guys. I used to publish an auto racing magazine and am getting back into on road nitro touring cars after a couple years off.
I am starting a high end monthly newsletter for the RC hobby in Georgia. I am also interested in starting a national high end newsletter/mini magazine for the on road part of the hobby.
So, I am putting some feelers out to see if you guys think there might be interest in such a publication? It would be 4-color and probably a typical magazine size. All on road...1/10, 1/8, nitro and electric. Tech, product reviews, newbie tips, big event coverage.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Lutes

Last edited by genesisG4; 12-11-2007 at 04:57 PM.
genesisG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would take a copy
jelayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
Suspended

i would love a copy too...
ocktoberfest00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Tech Master

......sounds cool.............most mainstream RC mags only seem to mention 1/8 on-road in passing..............
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
......sounds cool.............most mainstream RC mags only seem to mention 1/8 on-road in passing..............
Right, they have to focus more on the masses and the advertisers that support the larger groups. There is minimal coverage for on road because of that. This would be specific in its editorial and advertising...catering exclusively to the on road segment!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1. I would subscribe to a magazine that had a reasonable coverage of 1/10 TC, 1/8 on road and 1/8 GT class.
2. Technical articles would be a big benefit.
3. How about a quarterly DVD of some racing?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
moy
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

this would be nice,coz theres like 95% offroad and 5% onroad on most of the RC mags today.
moy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveTracer View Post
1. I would subscribe to a magazine that had a reasonable coverage of 1/10 TC, 1/8 on road and 1/8 GT class.
2. Technical articles would be a big benefit.
3. How about a quarterly DVD of some racing?

Would definitely be heavy on the tech. Good idea on the video, we did something like that with the magazine we published in the 90's. As I recall it was a freebie when you subscribed.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moy View Post
this would be nice,coz theres like 95% offroad and 5% onroad on most of the RC mags today.
That is exactly what got me thinking about this. My interest is nitro touring cars and there is minimal coverage in available magazines.
That is also a tough issue for the on road oriented advertisers. They can't justify the cost to advertise in the big magazines to reach the small percentage of their customers.
This seems to me to be a win win for the on road enthusiasts along with the advertisers....it covers a niche.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #10
Tech Addict

I like your idea! I read an interesting editorial in one of the leading RC mags that explained why they do so little on-road coverage. They indicated that their allocation to racing classes was based on the sales precentage of the leading manufacturers. So we all know where that leaves all of us on-road racers.

However, don't let that deter you. There is one online newsletter/mag but the coverage is slow to come and very selective (Starting Grid). I subscribed for one year but was disappointed in the lack of fresh information. While the reports that did come through were very good there just was not enough over the course of a year.

Additionally, I would suggest that you look into some of the high quality DIGITAL e-delivered magazines. I get one from Best Buy and another from Lexus. I really would enjoy this type of delivery. I also believe that this would also provide you with a lower start-up cost and eliminate monthly/quarterly postage. I do not know about the cost of the software needed for this but I guess that you would likely know where to get the info since you have been in the publishing business.

Sample of Digital Mag: http://www.zinio.com/express2?issue=217688246

Just a few thoughts. Hope that I have been of some help. Good Luck,
Roger
Woodlands Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:07 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

A magazine dedicated to onroad sounds like a great idea.

I especially like Woodlands Racer suggestion of a digital magazine. I'm an American living overseas and while there is plenty of onroad tracks here there aren't any English magazines. Digital would get me interested in subscribing. (I'm also a disappointed Starting Grid subscriber).

It'd be great to see this happen.

Cheers.
R&TRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:06 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I actually cancelled a long time subscription to a VERY popular r/c magazine because they had "car" in their title but were only doing articles on off-road trucks, truggies, buggies, muggies, whatever. Plus their articles focused on off-road and didn't interest me anymore. I told them why I cancelled and (of course) didn't get a response except asking me to renew my subscription. I still subscribe to another magazine that does have some on-road stuff but they are slowly becoming off-road as well. They still have good articles though.

Anyway, I love the idea and would certainly be interested in a printed version because I like to read my mags when i'm at work and have a little down time. I may be interested in a digital version although that would be a first for me.

Hope it works out for you and be sure to post on here once you get it up and running.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Please send me a copy thanx bro.

"Free your mind, and your ass will follow"...
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I want a subscribtion! please keep us updated
lil-bump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TRacer View Post
A magazine dedicated to onroad sounds like a great idea.

I especially like Woodlands Racer suggestion of a digital magazine. I'm an American living overseas and while there is plenty of onroad tracks here there aren't any English magazines. Digital would get me interested in subscribing. (I'm also a disappointed Starting Grid subscriber).

It'd be great to see this happen.

Cheers.
You can buy the silly American Rc magazines from Powers Japan.Or you could just learn a little bit of Japanese,its not that hard.