R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-03-2003, 12:19 AM   #1
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default GT4 vs. NTC3

I am partial to Yokomo/Associated cars, so would like one of these as my next nitro ride. I am just beginning to look at them, so don't know exactly which one would be better for me as of yet. From the people that actually race them though, what are the features/advantages of either car? Please don't let this get into a battle, just trying to get some info.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 12:53 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Default Re: GT4 vs. NTC3

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
I am partial to Yokomo/Associated cars, so would like one of these as my next nitro ride. I am just beginning to look at them, so don't know exactly which one would be better for me as of yet. From the people that actually race them though, what are the features/advantages of either car? Please don't let this get into a battle, just trying to get some info.
I have a ntc3 and a 705. One word can describe the ntc3 awsome. Let me tell you I couldn't love the ntc3 anymore! Haven't run my 705 yet. But yeah the ntc3 was actually pretty durable, don't know why some complaning it break easy and man it run good. I never seen a gt4 before but I would probably go with the ntc3 if I were you.
Ducati998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 12:59 AM   #3
Tech Master

i might get a NTC3 for my second car to use in the stock class when i move up from the stock class to the mod class with my MTX-2

but thats way later, like maybe christmas time

but one of my friends runs the TC3 and it is pretty durable

and let me tell you, he hits the road dome ALOT

but i would give the TC3 a shot, it seems pretty easy to tune
me43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:48 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Default NTC3

Go with the ntc3, I have both cars with the same engine. I like ntc3 more, drive is smoother and faster, very quick on corners since its lighter than the gt4. ntc3 is durable but the gt4 is evenb more, that;s why I like both cars. But choosing one, I'll pick the ntc3.
thefuzzclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:00 AM   #5
Tech Prophet

I was hoping to find a few people who have both cars, so that's a good comparism. How about torque steer though, does the NTC3 have any?
Old 06-03-2003, 11:13 AM   #6
Tech Master

All Shaft drive cars have some amount of torque steer. I dont think there is any way to stop that.

Both cars are nice. A lot of people think I hate the NTC3 because I have a thing against shaft drive but it has a lot of good qualities. I have raced the Yokomo GT4 since it was first released and so far it has turned out really strong. I snapped a rear axle myself when building the car for the first time. Over tightened a wheel nut. Other than that I have only stripped 3 gears and all on the same day due to improper meshing when trying to get the 15/18 pinions to mesh using the lowered engine mounts.
The NTC3 has had issues with diffs and diff casings but there are fixs for these now and the problem appears to be less common.

In general I would advise getting which ever car you can get parts for most easily at your local hobby store or local track.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:20 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have both and raced the Yokomo for three seasons using the Yokomo RX12 engine. This season I switched to the TC3 using a new RX12 engine. It's just as fast and handles well. Torque steer is not an issue. The TC3 seems to carry more corner speed than the Yok but both accelerate about the same.

So far I've only broken a rear hub on the TC3 by catching a pipe seam at the wheel nut. The Yok used to bend the universal joints but the new ones cured that problem. I broke a few rear axles and several front hubs and an occasional rear hub also the front bumper brace and bumper broke. That's about it for three years other than maintenance rebuilds. Both cars seem very durable but then I try not to hit things.

I like both cars but alas as modellor said get the one supported by your track or LHS. Neither of mine has any Yokomo parts in stock and they won't stock any for one person which I can't blame them for. That's the real reason I switched to the NTC3, not for any better performance.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 07:00 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My two cents worth...

First had a Yokomo GT4 which works really awesome and really strong car over all, think the that did break at times was rear axles at the point where the pin goes through.

Second had a NTC3 and was impressed how it was on the track was just hard to get used to braking into corners. GT4 is belt drive and found it slowed the car enough when going into a
corner where I didn't have to use brakes at all.

Did the find the NTC3 kind of fragile and was a bit worried running it in a 45 minute main event. Did not have it long enough to run in 45 minute main though. Felt like a little more of a entry level car then a pro gas car. Sold the car about a month after I got it.

Now have a Serpent 705 and but have not run it yet just finished putting it together the last couple days. I'm very impressed with features and also building it over the GT4 and the NTC3 though.

So overall from what I have experienced and read on the web my ranking would be.

1. Serpent 705
2. Yokomo GT4
3. NTC3

If you have no local support for the Serpent would not hesitate to go with the Yokomo GT-4 Type S, comes with new Centax and shoe type 2 Speed. The older Yoks only had a 3 shoe and a finder type 2 speed. Speedtechrc.com is a good place for Yokomo info.

New Serpent 705 has a Centax II clutch and a 2 shoe 2 Speed. Take a look at mytsn.com for more details on the Serpent.

Go thing to do yourself is go down to local track and hang out for the day and ask questions about the cars and local support for each car.
corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:14 AM   #9
Tech Prophet

Parts support is no issue for me, I order all of the parts that might break ahead of time, and keep them in my pit box, so I'm not worried about the support factor.

I bought a 705, but before I was able to run it, I had to sell it, so I never got any track time on it, but I did have a haul-ass Impulse a couple years ago, never did break a part.

I am looking at those 2 cars, because they seem to be on top right now though, and basically just want to try something new. I have a feeling I will chose the GT4 over the NTC3 though, just because it looks like it's built really durable. Going to get my MR-4TCSD on the track for a little while and get used to touring cars again before I blow the cash though.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:15 PM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

I have both. Very different cars. NTC3 accelerates hard, changes directions smoothly and coasts very well. It's really the closest thing to driving an electric car...for me anyway. The GT4 can be tossed around, driven hard into turns, mash on the gas and it straightens itself nicely. I like both because they're different. The GT4 is sturdy. The NTC3 has needed quite a bit of bulletproofing. Some people think the GT4 is too old to compete with the latest cars. I don't believe that. As for advise, I'd say get the NTC3 if you're pretty good about staying off the boards and don't race with hacks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ntc3gt4sm.jpg (76.8 KB, 163 views)
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 03:26 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Very well put.

I'm an electric racer and we are obsessed with drag on the transmission.
I got a NTTC3 because the transmission was so free that I felt I would be at home driving it.

On this car even a normal engine can compete with more powerful engines on 3 belt nitro cars.

It's almost impossible to have such a low drag transmission on a "normal" 3 belt nitro car.

It's very smooth and very straight forward to drive. Unlike other nitro cars it likes to be driven smoothly. If well setup is a remarkable machine.

On top of that it seems quite easy to reach a good setup. One that makes you feel so confortable driving it that you are almost forced to push the car to it's limits.

As a comparison I had a 3 belt car (MTX2) that in spite of being a fast car always felt like it had something holding it.

I'm not sure about the Yok, but from what I see the nitro world now is divided in NTTC3 and other 3 belt cars. Not that it cant be beaten, but because it's so diferent from the rest that you need a special frame of mind to enjoy it fully.

I've seen hardcore nitro racers test one and not liking it. But I see al the guys that come from the electric world test one and feel at home driving it.
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:02 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to ice-wolf Send a message via Yahoo to ice-wolf
Thumbs up NTC3

i'm going to pick ntc3 co'z of the driveshaft does't snap like the belt but there both good car my 2 cent
ice-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:23 PM   #13
Tech Prophet

I've never snapped a belt, but have bent and snapped driveshafts in a shaft driven car... I will propably end up with the GT4 even though it has more drag, I think Yokomo cars are generally a little bit snappier in handling than AE, and I like a very quick responding car.

I am not 100% on either car, but are there any necissary hopups for either one?
Old 06-04-2003, 10:11 PM   #14
Tech Master

I have run my Yokomo for 3yrs now and still have the original belts on it. Unless you are running on carparks with lots of debris or really dirty unprepped tracks you shouldnt have much problems with belts if you clean your car properly after each meeting.

As for freewheeling, if you are prepared to spend the money or can make your own drive parts you can make any belt car roll every bit as good as a shaft car. My whole drivetrain from one end of the car to the other is made of Titanium (axles, dogbones, outdrives, layshafts) and the AUW of the car is only 1640g. Need to add lots of weight to bring it up to the limit .

Contrary to believe I have run shaft cars and they are better in some areas whereas belt drive has advantages in other areas. But one thing I do believe is the downfall of shaft cars is the modern engine power.

The NTC3 was great with a normal engine in it. Then when the power of the engines increased it started blowing diffs due to centrifugal force trying to separate the gears on the casing. Now, the important part. Do you really think engine tuners like Motorman and others are going to stop producing more power now. I doubt it.
This brings us to the next step. The power will increase and the centrifugal stresses will increase and soon the strengthened plastic gears will be back to square one and start stripping again big style.
So what, they can just make the gears stronger again. True. But you can only make the plastic gears so hard but engine power will always increase. This is inevitable.

That is why I prefer belts. They have enough elastic play to stop them snapping when the engine power increases.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 10:21 PM   #15
Tech Prophet

That is very true, with more power the drivetrains do need to beefed up, that goes for belt drive or shaft drive cars though. What is the legal weight limit for nitro cars?