R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-05-2003, 09:34 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by alucard13
how did you drive in the rain? didn't the electronics get wet?
Very carefully

Most servos are sealed and as for receivers, most of the racers seal it from the fuel so that was not much of a problem.

One of racers on my team had a set Medial Pro tires, soft compound, that really worked well in the rain. Of course he could drive.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:58 AM   #17
Tech Master

Secrets for racing in the rain.

Radio Gear needs waterproofed.

Open up the receiver and remove the case. Take a candle and light it. Pour the hot wax over the circuit board in a light layer to cover all the electrical components. Put the receiver back together. One waterproof receiver.

Remove the screws on the servo and remove the bottom part of the casing. Repeat the above on the open side of the circuit board. At any part of the case that comes apart (except the hole the head gear goes through run a light layer of silicon based filler and close the servo. This will waterprrof the main area of the servo. Trim the excess filler with a knife.

When you put the ecetrics in the car, put 2 kids balloons over the receiver and put a small cable tie around the end of the balloon close the the receiver. Now fill the nexk of the balloon with the silicon filler and use another small cabler tie to tighten the end of the balloons neck. You shouldnt have many problems with water in the electrics.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 08:55 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Of course the drivers all stood in the rain and were soaking wet.

Seriously, either you drive from a sheltered area or you bag your radio. Bagging it just means finding a large plastic bag (trash bag, dry cleaner) and stick the antenna through the bag securing it with a cable tie. Be sure that the bag is big enough for you to get both of your hands inside and still be able to control the radio.

Just ask modellor, he from the British Isles where they may have about two weeks of sunshine and 50 weeks of rain a year.

Have at it Mate!
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 11:52 AM   #19
Tech Master

Yeah AreCee. I have seen many days where we are all standing on the rostrum with or shopping bags over the tranny and all the aerials wiggling about from us all shivering with a cold. I am just about to kill the weatherman however. This last couple of weeks the Sun has been out most of the week but come Sunday bang, there comes the rain and real heavy too. .

Thinking about getting those Hurricane shifter guys over from Florida to clear an area over the track so we can have some good racing for a change.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:01 PM   #20
it
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to it
Default Re: endurance racing

Quote:
at one of our tracks they are going to have a 2 hour endurance race at the end of june. right now i am running mostly stock stuff. any suggestions on what spur gears and pinions will last that long? if so can you post a link? I have the mugen mr12 engine so i should have enough stamina. i just gotta richen it out a little. also if anyone has done an endurance race what tips can you give me? Thanx for the help

also, what kind of reciever battery will hold up for two hours? 1100mah? also what kind should i put in the transmitter that will hold up for 2 hours? for a reciever batter what are the best? I have a JR XRS3i.

I really suggest the ff:

1. Prepare for a week
2. Stock up some parts that usually breaks in your car.
3. Get a good night sleep the night before the race (Very Important).
4. SAVE your car ( I mean try to avoid collision as much as you can). You have 2 hours just try to run as smooth as possible. Stay away from the destruction derbies and the boards.

Hope this helps
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:32 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Yeah AreCee. I have seen many days where we are all standing on the rostrum with or shopping bags over the tranny and all the aerials wiggling about from us all shivering with a cold. I am just about to kill the weatherman however. This last couple of weeks the Sun has been out most of the week but come Sunday bang, there comes the rain and real heavy too. .

Thinking about getting those Hurricane shifter guys over from Florida to clear an area over the track so we can have some good racing for a change.
I feel your pain. We have the same problem here in the Mid-West United States, it's sunshine during the week and rain or winds on the weekends.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 05:25 PM   #22
Tech Master

Also a good thing would be a very helpful pitman... he doesn't need to be the fastest, but give you info that you need.

Of course he should tell you when to come in... etc., but he should also tell you where you are, how long the race has been, how your car seems as far as engine tuning, engine temp, body condition (don't want it coming off) and other things you might not notice on the drivers stand. Also he should tell you to settle down if your driving starts to really suck... .
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 07:38 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

i'm very excitied about this race. my two concerns are:

batteries

engine heat

I started a post about batteries, but i think the best thing to do it get 2 flat 5 cell 1100mah or better batteries, tie them together, put em in the car and make sure they are charged before the race.

as for the engine, i've richened it almost a half turn (i bought it from someone and they broke in in already) from when i got it and it still gets to about 250 something. i have the temp gun with the laser thing and i heard its not to accurate. i just need someway of knowing what my temp is so that i dont blow up during the race.
alucard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 08:57 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
...engine heat...
During paractice (if you've got it), run your car for around 15-20 minutes straight. This should allow you to find a good fueling window, and by the end you'll see the temp. The most important engine setting to get an engine that runs well for 5 minutes to run well for 2 hours is the low speed needle. It is the low speed that generally causes an engine to slowly overheat until it just flames out. Try get your engine to run at 230 after 20 minutes and have your pit man (pit men) to check the temp every 30 minutes to keep a watch on it.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:23 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Im2lazy
During paractice (if you've got it), run your car for around 15-20 minutes straight. This should allow you to find a good fueling window, and by the end you'll see the temp. The most important engine setting to get an engine that runs well for 5 minutes to run well for 2 hours is the low speed needle. It is the low speed that generally causes an engine to slowly overheat until it just flames out. Try get your engine to run at 230 after 20 minutes and have your pit man (pit men) to check the temp every 30 minutes to keep a watch on it.
When i get to the track and i start to practice, i practice for 15-20 minutes, then check the temp? if its too high i richen the low end needle 1/8 of a turn until i get it to 230?

Should i do anything with the high end needle?
Old 06-06-2003, 09:36 PM   #26
Tech Master

Your high speed needle should be set so as to make your car as fast as possible on the longest straightaway. If you were on a real (real) tight track, I would tell you to richen it as well, but most tracks are big enough that it won't need to be adjusted much. During 2 hours, a lot can happen to the weather so expect that needle changes will need to occur, but as far as overheating is concerned, the low speed needle is the key.

Oh yeah, if you have an optional head, put it on too.

Also, during the practice, check the engine temp when you pull it in for fuel. But actually, for the first tank, race around until your tank is almost empty. If you don't mind it, run it out of fuel (though many people don't like that), but you can use the data on how long it took you to run out of fuel to decide when you need to fuel up because fueling every 5 minutes or so isn't the best. Then run your car again (once it has cooled down), then run it again to see if the fuel window has changed because of the tuning you did.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:25 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Great, thanx for the tips . They will be put to good use.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:25 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Are you racing two hours straight?
Old 06-07-2003, 01:08 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by RoyU
Are you racing two hours straight?
according to they guys who are putting on the show, yes. although i dont kow how the batteries will hold up. i've only heard of 1 hour endurances. i kn ow they have 24 hours but i think they are for the big tracks and such.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:13 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
according to they guys who are putting on the show, yes. although i dont kow how the batteries will hold up. i've only heard of 1 hour endurances. i kn ow they have 24 hours but i think they are for the big tracks and such.
I hope you have good friends to help you in the pits.