R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-22-2007, 03:59 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default what a good first car?

can people please just leave a comment saying which rc car is the best to start off. a drifter or anythng
ivoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

you need to a car that will not break easy what is your price range if you are around 400$ than i would get a kyosho evo which is around 400 but i have seen some for 380 try gasrccar.com
srsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I agree, if your looking for an RTR, the NTC3 is the one.
rageworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Great starter race car is the TC3.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Yep... If you survive all the headaches a NTC3 is going to give you... Your going to survive any other car... My suggestion is go straight to a Kyosho, Mugen or Team Magic car.... If your racing on a track, go there and see what most people is using.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:25 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Default how bout Kyosho V one S

what do you thnk of a Kyosho V one S
ivoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:14 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

My very first car was a Kysoho V One S, they are a VERY and i mean VERY robust car. they are a fairly quick little car. easy to setup aswell. I loved my V One S, i still have and am going to keep it. i loved it.

*For Sale, CT4S with a heap of parts*
ViperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:22 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

If your going to get a V1 S... you might aswell get the big brother, the RRR... Even if its not the evo... the RRR standard is a great car...
Old 11-23-2007, 02:58 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

For a first car you couldn't go wrong buying a V One SIII and if I were you I would try and get the Cup Edition 2 (part number 31340). Worth the few extra dollars.

Parts wise they are exactly the same front and rear (middle area different and chassis) however for the $$$'s and a first car I wouldn't t buy the RRR.

The V One S comes complete all you need to do is add the motor and the little Kyosho 15 motors takes a pounding.

As I said you couldn't go wrong with this car.
CDS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:15 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to FITO

my advise is that if you really think you are goin to stick with this hobby,get the best car and parts your money can afford. i know of guys who went the cheaper route and a few weeks lata came back and spent alot more on upgrades and parts. get a serpent fully loaded
Old 11-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze

my first car was a NTC3 kit ........ I was afraid of it at first but my hobbyshop owner told me if you going to do this hobby learn from scratch to build and repair it when it break.... since then the only RTR i have is a revo 3.3.building car makes you feel good

blaze
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:22 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

See what the local drivers drive at the track and get one of those. If you wanna bash on the street get a shaft driven rtr car.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:47 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

IVON: I just had this conversation with a 14 year old yesterday. He was looking at a gas car too. We sat down and talked for about an hour and came to the conclusioin, after making the mystakes I did, started with a 4tec, then a NTC3, Landed on a Mugen for a few years, and now racing the Xray. I look back and I wish that I would have started out with a car that is capable to race at a competitive level. I felt as though the other cars were more or less in not so many words "a waist of time" before I got an Xray, or the Mugen wasn't that bad.

We talked with his parrents and we decided it was in thier best intrest to spend a little more to get something that will grow with him. If he is a quick learner and natural to it, (*his parrents own the local Play-N-Trade" and all he does is play video games) he will be ready for a better car before they know it. So, they are going with either an Xray, Mugen, or Kyosho. That is thier decision, they have to make it.... so parts availability will be the issue for what they decide on.

Decide what you are going to do with the car also.....are you just going to play with it in the street, or do you want to race it? If you are playing in the street, get a shaft drive.

Good luck and now that you are more confused than before........take two asprin.
rcfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #14
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Start off doing what?

He's eluded to a drifter, and you guys are telling him to buy the most expensive high-end race car he can afford? And people wonder why it's so hard to bring new racers into the hobby.
  • If you are bashing in the street, and drifting in the driveway, buy something cheap, 4wd, shaft driven, that your local hobby shop stocks parts for (or at least can get you when you need them). Spend your money on cool bodies and have fun. Don't worry about what is the "best."
  • If you want to race competitively and have zero experience in the hobby, attend your local track and see what others are using in the class that you'd like to participate in. Your best bet is a chassis that at least a few other guys at the track have, so that you can call on them if you need assistance.
Throwing a lot of money at a new car is great advice in retrospect for your own situation, but you also took those "waste of time" cars and learned a LOT with them, which would have been expensive and destructive with a high-end race car. Not only that, when you make mistakes with those first cars—and you will—it's usually not nearly as expensive to fix. Not to mention that the higher end cars will have FAR more adjustments and settings than you are really ready for.

Don't over-do your first car.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What he said! Good advice.
CDS70 is offline   Reply With Quote