Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
5 port and 3 port >

5 port and 3 port

5 port and 3 port

Old 11-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 5 port and 3 port

Am new to the rc game i will like to know the difference between the 5 port and 3 port , and where can i get a 5 port, i want to upgrade my 1/10 scale hpi .12 to something faster that could kinda keep up with them mugen and serpents, i would like to get some info on a fast engine.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

5 ports vs. 3 ports are pretty big in performance difference. If you want to race, 3 port motors are the standard issue. Most big races will only allow 3 port engines. On the other hand, the 5 port spools up faster and I think has more rpm. The 5 port motor is sometimes called an "Outlaw" motor because of the extra advantage of the two ports. Also 5 port motors have a hp advantage.
Most of us that race at big tracks or circut style get modded 3 port engines. The three port is more controlable and predictable than the 5.
I started racing with a NS TS12S5 tuned Novarossi in a R40. It was a dumb move on my part because it was too much motor for my skill at the time. Admittedly it was one of the fastest cars on the track, but I was constantly fighting the car where as the guys with good 3 ports were running consistant lap times and fuel milage was better.
Most of the guys that you will race with Mugen, Serpents, XRays, Kyoshos, etc will have good 3 port motors.
I would drop in a 3 port. OS, Novarossi, Sirio, RB, REX, etc. all make good 3 port race motors. How much performance you want all depends on your wallet.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks alot guess ill jus look for a good 3 port motor.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I watched 5 ports run at the GLC and when comparing the lap times, there wasn't a huge difference. And, Cyrul was one of the guys running in outlaw. I think the benefit is the price. You can get a 5 port for cheap and be able to run with the high-end modded 3 ports. But I think, for the most part, the outlaw class isn't as big as the 3 port class which is why most people (including myself) will run a 3 port. If everybody was running outlaw, i'd probably do that.

If you want to race, see what guys are running at your local track and go from there.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Tech Lord

a nice story from Ron Paris about ports:

COMMON ENGINE QUESTION - HOW MANY PORTS DOES AN ENGINE NEED?
More is not indicative of being better. If more ports were the only solution to more power, all engines would have maximum number of ports. Simply put, there is only so much room for ports in any given displacement engine. Some engines with twice the ports can have less total port area. This is not good or bad - it is just different. Every thing is a combination of many variables. Some of the most powerful engines I have built were three ports! We top qualified the world championships in Holland with a three port engine wile many of the competitors were using 5, 6, 7 and even 8 port engines and we had the fastest top speeds displayed on the board. It is true in most cases that within any brand of engine their power ratings go up with the amount of ports, but this is due to more than just the quantity of ports. Generally there are many other components in the engine that have more refined or modified parts than those with less ports, complementing the combination. You can only compare the quantity of ports between engines of the same manufacture. They all have their own combinations. In other words, brand A’s 17 port may or may not run equal to brand B’s 29 port.

In shorty: The number of poorts will show a rating in performance but most of the times it is realy made by the timings in ports and crankshaft als also flowing. Give a 3-poort engine the same materials and timings as an 8-poort engine and it will go as fast.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Tech Rookie

where can i buy outlaw motors is there any good sites?
Old 11-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've seen a couple people run this motor and it was very strong and kept a tune all day. Plus, I don't think you can go wrong with OS.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJFY9&P=SM
Old 11-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

That is pretty cheap for the OS T12 5 port. They run pretty well too.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

The TZ is a good motor but has an issue with fuel transfer through the rear intake. Everyone I ran on the flow bench was similar. Oce you correct the flow issue in the rear intake port....... IT COMES TO LIFE.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Tech Rookie

What u guys think about the CX12R2/N Nova Rossi .12 3 port Rotary Carb, Standard Crank, is this a good engine?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

For on road racing the slide carbs work better then the rotarys. most of the rotary carbs are on engines for dirt racing
Old 11-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Tech Rookie

ok thanks for that info man..