R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-29-2003, 11:39 PM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Ofna/Pico 7 port... Any good?

I just picked up a new Ofna Pico 7 port, cheap. I have never read anything about these motors. How do they rate against the NovaRossi based Motors?

Last edited by ottoman; 06-12-2003 at 11:25 PM.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 11:58 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 12:38 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Manticore... Thanks for the info, but how does it compare, for instance, to my RB 5 port in reliability and performance?
Old 05-30-2003, 12:56 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by ottoman
Manticore... Thanks for the info, but how does it compare, for instance, to my RB 5 port in reliability and performance?
I prefer RB 5 port..........
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 12:01 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Default Ofna/Pico 7 port... Any good?

Guys;

As with all Picco based small blocks, the secret to making good Power is using a Novarossi Carb (If your rules allow it). I also recommend REMOVING the THIN head shim out of the 2, no matter what % of Nitro you run (well maybe not with 40%)
All of my Piccos have always run great this way.

I also have a Brand New Ofna/Picco 7port in the box (NOT 4-sale), but my Standard 3 port XP runs so good, I haven't had any reason to use it yet.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 02:27 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Default Re: Ofna/Pico 7 port... Any good?

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

As with all Picco based small blocks, the secret to making good Power is using a Novarossi Carb (If your rules allow it). I also recommend REMOVING the THIN head shim out of the 2, no matter what % of Nitro you run (well maybe not with 40%)
All of my Piccos have always run great this way.
Hmmm...interesting. I run mine with a spare MT-12 slide carb, and have added a second shim. I use 30% O'Donnell fuel. The tip was passed along to me after personally witnessing an experienced tuner struggle for almost 3 hours trying to get his 7-port to run properly. He had the Novarossi carb but didn't do the shim thing. Finally he added a second copper head shim...*boom*, engine fired right up and ran great the rest of the day. Maybe I'll remove a shim and try it...

But FWIW, my RTO is still quicker.
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 09:11 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Thanks for all the info.... does anyone know of a place online that sells head shims and other engine parts? I have no LHS so I have to find everything on line
Old 06-01-2003, 11:35 AM   #8
Tech Regular

You can use head shims from any Novarossi-based .12 engine. I usually get all my stuff from Ace Hobbies:

www.ace-hobbies.com
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 09:18 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default popracer picco

hey popracer do you use nova carb and the extra shim on your three port also ,what fuel do u use and what car areu driving.
isuzuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 09:28 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Default Picco Engines

isuzuguy;

I haven't ran the 7 port yet, my 3 port XP runs so good.

Picco 12XP, Novarossi slide carb, Trinity MH 30% fuel, removed the THIN head shim, running a Reflex NT.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 12:16 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Pop's... what do you run for a exhaust manifold? The Picco exhaust is smaller than the NovaRossi type motors and most pipes I find are for the larger style.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:03 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

That "7" port engine annoys me. The engine really has 5 ports, like all the other outlaw small blocks. The extra two "ports" are just dummy holes in the sleeve.

I have never run one, but i have seen one. Sure, it has exceptional power. I am not downing the engine's performance, by no means. It just annoys me that ofna added two dummy ports to get attention.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:04 PM   #13

Default Re: Re: Ofna/Pico 7 port... Any good?

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Skool
Hmmm...interesting. I run mine with a spare MT-12 slide carb, and have added a second shim. I use 30% O'Donnell fuel. The tip was passed along to me after personally witnessing an experienced tuner struggle for almost 3 hours trying to get his 7-port to run properly. He had the Novarossi carb but didn't do the shim thing. Finally he added a second copper head shim...*boom*, engine fired right up and ran great the rest of the day. Maybe I'll remove a shim and try it...

But FWIW, my RTO is still quicker.
Removing the shim and it may go quick .. for about 3 minutes; really depends on the fuel; on OD 30 you probably need the shim; I know I did on my collari 3 port.
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 11:39 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403
That "7" port engine annoys me. The engine really has 5 ports, like all the other outlaw small blocks. The extra two "ports" are just dummy holes in the sleeve.

I have never run one, but i have seen one. Sure, it has exceptional power. I am not downing the engine's performance, by no means. It just annoys me that ofna added two dummy ports to get attention.
You are very much mistaken. They are not dummy ports. They are not part of the transfer port system, but they do serve a purpose. They work as part of a by-pass port system that helps to scavenge extra fuel into the motor. All .21 on road motors use some sort of a bypass port system. Most of them have port in the piston to to help out as well.

BTW ofna did not even add the two bottom ports you are talking about. The colari 5 port, which this motor is based off of, uses the top transfer ports and the two bypass ports under them to make it a 5 port motor. Ofna has the motors made with the two corrector, slot, ports added in to make it a seven port motor.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 01:15 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

...I stand corrected
Boy, that makes me feel stupid. j/k thanks for the insight.