R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #76
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

heres another MM mod engine..a Novarossi LS3....once again the JLR Red dot also towers over this motor as well

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks like some of the engines were not run with the recomended manufacturers pipe....
Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #78
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Looks like some of the engines were not run with the recomended manufacturers pipe....

If i'm not mistaken, these engines were run with several different tuned pipes...the pipes that produced the best results were the ones used for testing....

flat out the Picco JLR is the most powerful .12 your going to buy anywhere.....hell it makes more tourque then a OS 18TZ...no other .12 even comes close to making that kind of power...........I can see onthis forum Picco isnt overly popular, alot of people tend to talk down about Picco's... But the fact is on the dyno the Picco's tend to be the most powerful motors in any class they compete in... Picco knows how to make a strong motor.......
Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #79
Tech Master

Which big race did that dyno just win?
WARDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #80
Tech Apprentice

chino why you hate dyno,
engine need dyno to prove power correct?
E.Rocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #81
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Mega zx Engines are a powerful alternative, with a cheaper price as well! I was sitting tenth after the first day of qualifing at the sedan nats, with a stock mega zx. It was very fast! Just contact Serpent USA and they will tell you the closest place to get one!
J-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #82
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The best engine is the one that your pockets can afford and how easy you can get a replacement piston/sleeve and conrod when necessary. I have several different engines in my possession and all of them are pretty good. However, once worn out, it was hard to find a replacement piston/sleeve, bearings, and/or conrod when I wanted to rebuild it. Also, you have to think about the affordability of the replacement parts as well. If you spend $450 for an engine and it will cost you another $200 for a piston/sleeve and your budget can barely afford it, then that was not the best engine for you. Just my $0.02.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #83
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
The best engine is the one that your pockets can afford and how easy you can get a replacement piston/sleeve and conrod when necessary. I have several different engines in my possession and all of them are pretty good. However, once worn out, it was hard to find a replacement piston/sleeve, bearings, and/or conrod when I wanted to rebuild it. Also, you have to think about the affordability of the replacement parts as well. If you spend $450 for an engine and it will cost you another $200 for a piston/sleeve and your budget can barely afford it, then that was not the best engine for you. Just my $0.02.
It's hard to make a decision when you're comparing total cost of ownership against performance.

It really comes down to getting your engine turning, clutch setup and gearing right. You can spend all the money you want, but if you can't adjust these 3 things correctly, you'll still be slower than a guy that does.
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #84
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
If i'm not mistaken, these engines were run with several different tuned pipes...the pipes that produced the best results were the ones used for testing....

flat out the Picco JLR is the most powerful .12 your going to buy anywhere.....hell it makes more tourque then a OS 18TZ...no other .12 even comes close to making that kind of power...........I can see onthis forum Picco isnt overly popular, alot of people tend to talk down about Picco's... But the fact is on the dyno the Picco's tend to be the most powerful motors in any class they compete in... Picco knows how to make a strong motor.......
Maximo, which pipe and header were used for the JLR dyno test?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #85
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii View Post
It really comes down to getting your engine turning, clutch setup and gearing right. You can spend all the money you want, but if you can't adjust these 3 things correctly, you'll still be slower than a guy that does.
This is so true ...
Old 11-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sow&Steady View Post
Maximo, which pipe and header were used for the JLR dyno test?

model #2607. I think its an actual picco pipe.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #87
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default engine choice

going back to the original question posted by the original starter of this thread, maybe its just me, but which hpi touring car would you put this engine in? the R40 or one of the nitro rs4's? R40s can handle an italian or any other high dollar engine, but strapping a sirio, rossi, novarossi, or an rb on an rs4 would be an overkill. i think an os anything would be good enough starting point if you are learning how to tune an engine.

if you were planning on dropping an 18 into the car, obviously you weren't thinking about racing.. i think 12's are light and fast enough for a touring car. (not to mention race legal) also, a competition 12 properly tuned will run circles around an 18 any day.

i do have to agree with the someone that posted earlier who said you get what you pay for.

so, i would recommend an OS to start off, and when you master it, move on to the more high dollar engine. it sucks to toast an expensive engine because of poor tuning.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #88
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARDO View Post
Which big race did that dyno just win?
The dyno doesnt compete in races of course.... But rather the dyno is the race itself.... As everyone knows having the most powerful motor doesnt guarantee you will be the fastest car on the track... Out on the track there is soo many variables that influence a machines performance, thats its really imposible to acurately compare engines based of track running.. the fastest drivers usualy have the best setup skills, the freshest equipment, the newest glowplugs, the newest tires etc. etc. so even if the fatest guy doesnt have the most HP his car most likely will be fastest on the ground.........

There is no fooling a dyno, tire selection, gearing, setup mean nothing on a dyno.....On the dyno its just the motor vs a weighted flywheel.....The results from a dyno are an excelent way to compare the powercurve and overall output of the engine......

As I said before, the power curve of an engine can effect the overall feel much more then bigger peak numbers..a motor with long ramping powerband will feel like it has alot more top end then an equaly powered motor with an explosive midrange....... Look at an engines tourque curve and that will tell you how that motor is going to feel when you open the trigger down the back straight.........For raw power the modded Picco's are showing they are the strongest on the dyno, they have a huge power curve with class leading peak numbers....... They may not feel like they have as much top end due to their robust midrange hit, but they still get the job done on top end....
Old 11-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #89
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
i don't know you Kamikaze but what you have been posted here really is low.

not only does it NOT matter what someone elses past consists of. but it is vindictive to try and pull someone down and place them in the gutter when they experience a setback.

it takes a REAL man to let bygones be bygones. Only little men kick and hurt another man when they are down. You say you have big balls, but it takes a lack of heart, and a little man syndrome, to act the way you did. Who cares what you know, who cares who you spoke to, who cares PERIOD!

infact your name dropping of who you spoke to, etc etc, who supports you and who is against EdwardN is again evidence of your little man syndrome, trying to create a impression that you are supported by these "other" people when infact these other people would never knowingly participate in your gutter kicking as you are doing.

Toy cars mate. Toy cars. and i don't care how much money you make selling them. they are still toy cars, and no one outside of this hobby thinks highly of what you do. Your business gives nothing back to humanity, nor does it extend any important social cause...so for all intensive purposes you are just another person of the millions on this earth. SO SHOW RESPECT TO OTHERS!

good engines in my opinion:
OS TZ good decent package, and is very quick when modified lightly. really you can't go past it.
JL red dot from what i have heard. look into it

good engines but slightly more pricey
-Sirio (but the evo 3 had conrod and some bearing issues. It is common practice to replace the conrod on the sirio after 10 litres)
-Novarossi 12 SCT
-ninja, ok, but i would go sirio over ninja. just personal opinion
-max MF tuned (very pricey, but geez what a motor! i'd recommend going for the OS though)

pipes make or break an engine sometimes. i like the novarosssi 2630 with the short header for long tracks or the medium to long header for short tracks. this pipe works great with the sirio, ninja, novas, and OS.

I couldnt agree with you more on the non-professionalism of Team kamikaze.
It seems that if people dont agree with them they love to bash and insult. Everyone has opinions and this is a public forum not a boxing ring. I know this has left a bad taste in my mouth and will not be ordering from them in the future.

Nova Rossi last longer period
watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #90
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
I couldnt agree with you more on the non-professionalism of Team kamikaze.
It seems that if people dont agree with them they love to bash and insult. Everyone has opinions and this is a public forum not a boxing ring. I know this has left a bad taste in my mouth and will not be ordering from them in the future.

Nova Rossi last longer period
Thank you, on both points
WARDO is offline   Reply With Quote