R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Cleaning your air filter? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/18867-cleaning-your-air-filter.html)

chachi 05-26-2003 12:33 PM

Cleaning your air filter?

I have heard differing opinions on this one.....

1) Clean and oil the foams after every full day of use.

2) Don't clean it, as cleaning it causes the smaller particles to migrate deeper into the foams. When the foams become too dirty (i.e. restrict air flow), buy new ones.

Two completely different POV's.....either one better than the other?

VoneRkid 05-26-2003 01:13 PM

Re: Cleaning your air filter?

Originally posted by chachi
I have heard differing opinions on this one.....

1) Clean and oil the foams after every full day of use.

2) Don't clean it, as cleaning it causes the smaller particles to migrate deeper into the foams. When the foams become too dirty (i.e. restrict air flow), buy new ones.

Two completely different POV's.....either one better than the other?

Yes you should clean your air filter after each race meet.
I use K&N Filter cleaner kit. When you do your air filter you need to use the K&N cleaner & reverse flush it with water then you re-oil with the K&N oil.:nod: :) :tire: :tire:

Damo:cool:

rrgt_kid 05-26-2003 03:33 PM

that k&n air filter kit is the best ive ever used and it lasts for a very long time.

But you can also use shelite to clean the filter as well and then use a airfilter oil that you prefer!

jeremy.:D

popsracer 05-26-2003 06:57 PM

Cleaning your air filter?

I use 'Motor Saver' Filter exclusively on ALL of my Nitro vehicles (5). Clean and re-oil about every 4 races or so, depends how dirty the conditions.

Motor Spray to clean, blow dry with an Air Compressor and re-oil with Associated filter Oil (any THICK oil should work)
Once the Foam elements start to look crappy after cleaning, I just buy new ones.
'Dawn' and Hot water work equally as well for cleaning, just takes a little longer.

RClover 05-26-2003 07:11 PM

How many times can normal foam filter be washed using the K&N cleaner before they are torn around its edges?
I normally soak the filter in a glass of diluted liquid detergent for 48 hours. When picking up, i can see plenty of dirt disolve in the water, then run the filter with tap water while pinching on the foam to clear off more dirt.
From what i can see, the filter is cleaned though, but i cant really say its restored like new but it works great!

sparksy 05-27-2003 03:10 AM

I dont clean my filters..... they get two race days and then dumped in the bin.

Be carefull using any K&N products. There are a few types of filter oil they have on the market... for their paper elements and for their sponge elements, and then seperated again for high dirt etc....

In the past I found the K&N to be too thick and gummy for onroad use, and have since switched to a specifically RC product.

Taylor-Racing 05-27-2003 06:12 AM

I'd say thay can be successfully cleaned. We use the foam ones and these go about two meets between cleanings.
I always give them a blast from the inside out with WD40. This is followed by Spray'n Wipe or some such, also from the inside out. Then, it's hot water, again from the inside out. Dry and re-oil.
When they start to look second hand, I toss 'em.
Filters are cheaper than a piston and liner. :lol:

Oh, yeah . . . you always take the filter off with the engine upside down, don't you?

RandyT 05-27-2003 10:21 AM

I believe it is recommended as sparksy say's that you throw away your filters after they become dirty. But being on a budget, I wash mine after every run day with Simple Green, and just force water to push the dirt out.

TSR6 05-27-2003 11:46 AM

I wash my filters.

I've used the OS, Motor Saver's, and the Mugen filters. The OS filter I usually only washed the top filter, as the bottom element rarely needed cleaning. Dawn dish soap, and warm water does the trick.

Motor savers i did the same thing.

The Mugen filter, I put a couple drops of dish soap into the inside of the filter, then run water through the filter, water going from the inside-out. That cleans it out well, but i still do the pinch method mentioned below just to make sure.

I always clean my filter after every race weekend, and re-lube it with Duratrax Air filter oil.

Im2lazy 05-27-2003 01:59 PM

Re: Cleaning your air filter?

Originally posted by popsracer
I use 'Motor Saver' Filter exclusively on ALL of my Nitro vehicles (5). Clean and re-oil about every 4 races or so, depends how dirty the conditions.

Motor Spray to clean, blow dry with an Air Compressor and re-oil with Associated filter Oil (any THICK oil should work)
Once the Foam elements start to look crappy after cleaning, I just buy new ones.
'Dawn' and Hot water work equally as well for cleaning, just takes a little longer.

:nod: :nod: :nod: (x10)

Only difference for me, is that I wash it out after every race day. I'm a neat freak so I've got to do it as often as I can. I don't do it between races b/c:

A. If you don't want to spend more time retuning your engine (more airflow=different engine tune).
B. Don't have the time.
C. The race track is dirty and distracting, don't want anything to wander towards the carb inlet.
D. I'd go through way too much motor spray.

PTP Racing 05-27-2003 02:41 PM

i usually spray carb cleaner or something similiar from the inside out and follow that up with compressed air then re oil

but i dont completely trust it so maybe its best to just replace them often