R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-29-2007, 01:46 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

they let you take your car keys on! a radio car key is worse, as the transmitter is less likely to be seen, and the receivers fit in a matchbox (with a few grams of c4)....

on the subject of safe RC travel, just put it in a box and stick some 'fragile' and 'this way up' tape on it. the baggage handlers won't step on it or chuck it around then.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #17
Tech Addict

I went to MO a few years back and missed my flight due to the above mentioned reasons.

When my bag was scanned, I was called to the sec. gate. I was throughly checked out and they gave a one heak of a time. They wanted to take my car, motors, radio gear, etc all apart. I was . I had flown with that co. several times and never had an issue.

It is a good thing I have family in U.S. Customs who helped get the sutuation under control.

Now, I ship all of my suff FEDEX to my hotel or friends house (if poss.). Once I am done racing for the weekend, I will ship them back home.

I know it is a pain in the rear and costs $80 both ways, but it worth it not to got through the BS at the airport.

On the plus side......Atleast some the poeple at the airport are actually doing there jobs.
rc_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

The past few times I flew to events, I had used my team magic F8 bag without a problem and carried the car and radio with my extra engines in an aluminum carry box, much like what you would use to carry an XBOX game system in. Never had an issue, but this weekend, I saw the guys from PR were taking their cars apart just to put in thier lugage!

Last year at the Nationals, my budy and I traveled from tampa to LA without a problem with the cars radio's and a truer, but on the way back, they made him take his truer and check it as luggage.

This year, traveling to the 301 race, I had no issues when I brought my car and radio with starter box on the plane with me in the aluminum case. The first thing they did was want to send it through the XRAY machine and just be open with them. Just as long as thier is no tools and they are clean from oil, and fuel, no problem. Also, when checking in your bags, I request it be inspected, that usualy takes care of the red flags.
rcfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:46 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_freak View Post
I went to MO a few years back and missed my flight due to the above mentioned reasons.

When my bag was scanned, I was called to the sec. gate. I was throughly checked out and they gave a one heak of a time. They wanted to take my car, motors, radio gear, etc all apart. I was . I had flown with that co. several times and never had an issue.

It is a good thing I have family in U.S. Customs who helped get the sutuation under control.

Now, I ship all of my suff FEDEX to my hotel or friends house (if poss.). Once I am done racing for the weekend, I will ship them back home.

I know it is a pain in the rear and costs $80 both ways, but it worth it not to got through the BS at the airport.

On the plus side......Atleast some the poeple at the airport are actually doing there jobs.

I like your idea dealing with FEDEX people instead of dealing with TSA people + dealing overweight charges with airline people ...... the aeroplane probably already take off

And I don't want to fly with American Airlines anymore !
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:52 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to SOLOARTIST 702
Default hmm

going to 301 i checked everything accept my radio carried that on the plane but did take out the batteries and had no issue on my way back however i was missing my calipers and some screw drivers
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY/ MATRIX TIRES /KOPROPO / ORCAN GT3 /RED CUP RACING MEMBER / SPEEWORLD RACEWAY/ A+ performance parts /IVE SEEN THE XRAY TEAM DRIVE SO I GOT XRAY CARS / better to keep up than to catch up

WILLIAM PENDERGRASS

Last edited by SOLOARTIST 702; 10-29-2007 at 07:57 PM.
SOLOARTIST 702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just getting back from the US Open and I carried on my car and radio minus batteries, engine and fuel tank. I just cleaned it up and put a fresh new body on it. I just made sure I had the latest RC Car magazine in my bag.
Dreddlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #22
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz View Post
The past few times I flew to events, I had used my team magic F8 bag without a problem and carried the car and radio with my extra engines in an aluminum carry box, much like what you would use to carry an XBOX game system in. Never had an issue, but this weekend, I saw the guys from PR were taking their cars apart just to put in thier lugage!

Last year at the Nationals, my budy and I traveled from tampa to LA without a problem with the cars radio's and a truer, but on the way back, they made him take his truer and check it as luggage.

This year, traveling to the 301 race, I had no issues when I brought my car and radio with starter box on the plane with me in the aluminum case. The first thing they did was want to send it through the XRAY machine and just be open with them. Just as long as thier is no tools and they are clean from oil, and fuel, no problem. Also, when checking in your bags, I request it be inspected, that usualy takes care of the red flags.
Aluminum case ? Where did you buy this ? Around how much ? Thanks !
Garaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garaski View Post
Is there a hardcase / fully padded bag to transport your car / tools if you have to travel by plane ? What do you guys use ?

visit www. teammagic.com.tw & har-racing.com they have nice bag/ RC travel bag... they are great!!
Turbo jalur kanan
NOS jalur paling kiri (bahu jalan)
Erwin lewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Well, me and my friend and race partner have traveled to about 5 or 6 races via plane in the last 6 months with the 301 Halloween race this last weekend being the most recent. We each have 2 of the larger hauler bags as check in. Also if you do your bag check in at curbside, they don't weigh them, just give dude a $10 dollar tip. I put EVERYTHING in the hauler bags. each bag will wiegh in at 50 lbs each with the gear we take. I only carry on my clothing and normal stuff as carry on. These hauler bags have a solid structure to where you don't need to carry your transmitter as carry on. They take up presious room, but are light and help with the 50 pound limit. We ALWAYS have the tickets from TSA in our hauler bags showing that they have been checked by TSA. I don't remove my batteries or disasemble anything. The ONLY thing you need to be 100% sure of is absolutley NO traces of fuel. Not even a couple of drops in the tank or fuel bottles. They have sniffers that will detect the Nitro Methane. Other then this, we have had ZERO damage to our rc gear. Now, your hauler bag staying in that nice new condition will be gone with your first flight. The baggage handlers don't give a rats ass about you $200 dollar hauler bag. It will get beat up. I need to take mine in to have the Zippers repaired. Make sure your stuff is nice and tight so to speak in the boxes in the hauler bags. I usually use rags to help prevent thing from moving around. But overall, we have had no issues at all. Actually, overall I have noticed less issues as times goes on. But TSA I believe is getting more familliar with the RC transportation thing. I think that over the last 2 years the OVER catious issues are less. This last trip I did take my starter box with me as carry on, and they just wanted it removed from the bag with it being a large electronic device. But no special searches as of yet. So it's not really a big issue that I have ran into yet. Not saying it won't happen. Only thing that sucks is the wear and tear on your nice hauler bags. If you can fit your stuff in the RB bags, they are a little smaller, but totally bullet proof in this area compaired to the TM F8 style bags. Always try to get to the airport 2 hours befor your flight just incase a search does arise and you won't miss your flight. Good luck man.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #25
Tech Champion

How do you check in luggages at curbside ? Do you need special airline ticket ? I would give $20 tip for not measuring the weight of my luggages next time ( I recently paid $200 overweight charges )

BTW, I think 3 to 4 hours earlier if you take off from LAX on morning and afternoon flights.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garaski View Post
Is there a hardcase / fully padded bag to transport your car / tools if you have to travel by plane ? What do you guys use ?
This is the ultimate travel case. You will never need anything else for travelling after this.

http://www.plasticase.com/productdet...ode=54&lang=en

I travel every month with my RC cars and in the last 3 years, I have used
2 x OFNA bag3,
3 x Mugen bags,
1 x F8

The mugen bag, i had modified using aluminium casing, but that destroyed the zipper. All the bags were about the same. They lasted about 5-6 trips before they failed. Handlers are rough on luggage.

This case has done 3 trips and there is no sign of wear. It holds my 1/8th, starter box , toolbox, charger, power supply, 4 cases of parts, a spare engine and 2 pipes and radio.

It is a bit expensive but you will never need to buy another. Those 6 bags costed about $600.00, so if this one lasts me for 2 years it would be well worth it. I think it cannot be destroyed anyhow.
dougday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:56 PM   #27
Tech Initiate

This is great ! Thanks !
Garaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:12 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz View Post

Thats right... Atleast I, took out the body posts from my car... took out the engine and the exhaust and put them in different zip bags. I wrapped two of my good cars in towels and the third i just left it in the package. I traveled with two bags, one huge black box which had 3 cars, tires and my m11. And another hard case luggage that had my chargers, starter box, and replacement parts. I did not have to take my gas tank away from my car. We all took our bodies in hand and had no problems. I remember one of my friends (sneezer), on the way back he took the car with him in a backpack (no engine/exhaust nor tank) and had to explain to the TSA agent that it was an electric car, and where the mtx-4 mounted the electric motor and the 6 cell battery.

Anyways, my advise if your going to travel, is to have a hauler bag like the F8, Racer's Edge or the Sportwerks and just pad everything. In my case a friend of mine lent me his travel RC luggage which consisted in a hard case luggage and a black box with padded foam on the top and bottom.
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:55 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I have heard and seen a number of people using these:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...06&CATID=62560

They have wheels and are completely hard shell...

On sure if this helps you guys out...

I have seen them in the auto department at Walmart but with out wheels for around 20.00....

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote