Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 on road ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default 1/8 on road ground clearance

Hi,

I wish to buy RC 1/8 on road such as PRP XR80 or Adam Exer. But, the main issue is that there is no place to play in my region due to the roads and parking lot here is not totally smooth. Even the best asphalt road and parking lot here have certain degrees of pebbles, rough sand or small stones.

I like RC on road cos it is fast, accelerates better, and can corner well.

I think the ideal ground clearance for car to run at my region shall be 12 - 15 mm. Even that is barely enough to run on uneven roads right ?

so, how can I adjust the ground clearance of 1/8 on road to that range above ?

Thank you.

Regards,
Vic
Old 10-28-2007, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

If your area doesn’t have perfectly manicured on-road race tracks look at the Kyosho Inferno GT.

They’re inexpensive, fast, and durable. They can be run on almost any surface; including dirt.

The GT chassis are based on their World Champion Off-Road Buggy. They’re shaft driven (no belts to pick up rocks& break) they have 2 speeds, are great looking, realistic details and parts for them are everywhere.

Classes are starting up for them at many tracks and best of all, they’re just a lot of fun.

Something to think about.

Check it out

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/videos/...INFERNO_GT.wmv
Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

what is the max speed, acceleration and cornering of inferno GT ? It seems like drifting a lot and does not corner well and sharply as I see from the video clips. Anything can be done to solve this problem ?

If there is a big gap compared to car such as Serpent 960 or kyosho evolva, then, I will try to max its ground clearance to suit the road here.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

you are not going to enjoy the 960 or the Evolva in the parking lot, been there, done that. due to my job and the timetable of my local track, i ran my brand new 960 in rather new parking lot twice before i put it away, it's just not fun. like what Jspeed said, you will have more fun with the Inferno GT in the parking lot.

since you are not running it on a track, you will not notice the speed difference and the conering sharpness of the 2 type of car. and it boring flying up and down the empty lot. also, the 2 times (total of about 4 tanks) i ran my 960, my front belt is stripped, my rear belt chunked, front pulley needs to be changed, and all pulley teeth needs scraping cos of the dirt that gets pressed in.

you can only raise the car up so much and it's not going to run well at all since it not designed to be run with so much ground clearence.

so i would, like Jspeed suggested, buy an Inferno GT.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Initiate

it looks like you are asking all the newbie questions, running a 1/8 on-road in car parks is a waste of time and money. As suggested, you are better off with the GT or buggy/truggy instead.

The debris on the car park surface will damage the 1/8 on-road in no time.
to raise and lower the car you need to raise or lower the spring collar on the dampers and you must adjust the droop, camber to compensate taking into consideration of the foam wear also.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

The GT is well ballanced and a blast to drive. I was playing with the Subaru today. Ran it on 20% fuel didn't break or damage a thing. There are some Kyosho optional slicks that work a lot better than the factory tires. Different shore ratings.

I own 1/8 scale on-road cars too, if you don't run them on a clean track, you'll wish you did. And if you hit a pebble with one at high speed, get ready to go airborn and pick up your custom made kit with a dustpan.

The Kyosho Inferno GT is the answer you're looking for, unless you really want to set a fire to a bunch of money!
Old 10-29-2007, 01:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

On a slightly imperfect road condition ( with 5% pebbles and small stones ), what is the reliability and performance of the car ?

If the reliability of Inferno GT is 90% and performance is 40%, and Kyosho Evolva etc is 60% reliability, but the performance

is 90%, I would rather choose Kyosho Evolva.

Can anyone confirm the reliability and performance data above so that I can make a decision ?

thanks

note: reliability = broken parts, vulnerability to breakage and repair
Performance = speed, acceleration, cornering sharpness, stability, maneuverability

Regards,
Victor
Chartered Accountant
Old 10-29-2007, 02:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i'll take a guess here, i am quite sure the reliability portion you got there is what you will probably get, but the performance, i would say they are rather close in percentage. remember, on a prepared track, cars like Evolva could corner like it's on rail compare to the Inferno GT, but on a unprepared track, they are pretty even, maybe the Evolva would JUST be slightly better, percentage wise, +10% for the Evolva.

i forgot to mentioned in my previous post that i've since run my 960 on my local track and never been back to the parking lot, although i only get to run it on the track maybe twice a month. if i have the Inferno GT, i would probably run it on my street even.

i totally understand how you feel since i was kind of in the same boat as you before when i made my purchase. but honestly, as much as i want to run my car back then, after the 2 outing in the parking lot, i didnt even touch my car for a whole year. now, although i dont get to run it on the track that often, i rather wait for that weekend to come along and make the full use of the potential of the car.

then again, the decision is on you of course. whichever car you pick, i hope you'll have fun and enjoy this hobby.

good luck
Old 10-29-2007, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

I agree with Amuse, “the decision is on you of course”.

RC Car just completed their tests with the new GT, should be on the stands soon too.

As far as the performance between a 1/8 scale & IGT, on a smooth track you can’t beat a 1/8 scale, but on a dirty bumpy street race if both cars had the same engines; they’re fair game.

If the IGT were to “tag” a 1/8 scale in a bumping match….. game over, parts of the 1/8 scale would be flying all over the place.

Bone stock the IGT is a “tank”, you don’t want to “rub paint” with one using a conventional on-road car. They don’t play well with others.

They’re raced in Europe in a class called “Rally Game”.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks all for your feedback. The reason that I ask all these is because now there is a new brand competitor to Evolva or Serpent 960 which is called Adam Exer and PRP XR8 which is around USD400.00. This is almost same price as Inferno GT.

I don't know what to choose. I am very amazed at the cornering sharpness, speed, smoothness and acceleration of the 1/8 on road ( not GT). Whereas I saw from the youtube video clips, the GT always drift a lot, not sharp in cornering and accelerating slower. I think maybe the 3.3kg weight hogs in down.

The performance of 1/8 on road is awesome as I see from the video clips.

Victor
chartered accountant
Old 10-29-2007, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Thats true.

But the video from Japan shows the IGT running with the stock engine, pipe and electronics on standard rubber tires.

When you start chunking foams on a 1/8 scale and starting to have to tear the car apart to fix the damage you'll get from driving on the street. You'll realize the IGT would have been better for your use.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default 1/8 ground clearence

Originally Posted by vic88my
Thanks all for your feedback. The reason that I ask all these is because now there is a new brand competitor to Evolva or Serpent 960 which is called Adam Exer and PRP XR8 which is around USD400.00. This is almost same price as Inferno GT.

I don't know what to choose. I am very amazed at the cornering sharpness, speed, smoothness and acceleration of the 1/8 on road ( not GT). Whereas I saw from the youtube video clips, the GT always drift a lot, not sharp in cornering and accelerating slower. I think maybe the 3.3kg weight hogs in down.

The performance of 1/8 on road is awesome as I see from the video clips.

Victor
chartered accountant
I have the XR8, and and Evolva, and as much as you would like the speed and performance of these cars, they really are not suited for surfaces with pebbles, and dirty asphalt. The XR8 when set up right, will easily hang with the Serpents,Evolva, and Mugen, but I would never think of putting my cars on anything other than a prepared track. They have other cars more suited for this type of driving. It would be a shame to spend that kind of money on an 1/8 car, only to find that it does not meet up to your expectations because of the uneven surface, or the asphalt littered with small pebbles.
All it takes is one very small pebble to get stuck in one of the belts, or pullies to destroy the car.If you were at wide open throttle, and picked up a pebble in the rear belt, all hell would break loose, and you could easily wipe out the car, and cause some major damage. If you are serious about 1/8 scale on road, and want to save some money, then I would say yes to the XR8,Evolva,Serpent,and Mugen, but then also get something that could handle the surface that you are speaking about.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi experts,

Thanks again. What is the top speed and acceleration of inferno GT ?

Is 0-100 meter in 1.5 second (acceleration) and min top speed of 70 mph
achievable ?

What modifications or setups are required ?

Thanks.

Vic
Chartered Accountant
Old 10-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vic88my
Hi experts,

Thanks again. What is the top speed and acceleration of inferno GT ?

Is 0-100 meter in 1.5 second (acceleration) and min top speed of 70 mph
achievable ?

What modifications or setups are required ?

Thanks.

Vic
Chartered Accountant
We race em at 301 Raceway...We use Off Road motors with On-Road Sleeves and turbo buttons.....they do reach 50+
Old 10-31-2007, 02:18 AM
Tech Regular

Default 1/8th scale perfromance on a parking lot

Driving an 1/8th scale onroad car on an unprepped parking lot with dust, pebbles and w/o a perfectly smooth surface is like driving a Formula One Race car on a Dirt Oval. What a waste! You mention buying a car for $400.00 and want to drive it on a parking lot? Be prepared to spend another $400.00 on all the broken stuff(belts ,pulleys, etc etc etc). Be prepared to replace this stuff after just afew tanks of fuel. If you want to race onroad 1/8th scale listen to the advice of the above people. Buy the GT for parking lots..........or find an on-road RACE course.