Old 05-26-2003, 06:05 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally posted by RClover
Go Mugen go..!!!

yeah..which comes COMPLETE with a one way diff std..
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 06:11 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by V-1-R
Front one way is more suited for larger track, but in Malaysia, most of the top/fast drivers dont run a front one-way (regardless the track is big or small), but full diff with foam tyres. That means even fast drivers cant drive a oneway car and they prefer the easy newbie way of a full diff car!
so a full diff car outruns a one-way eqipped car because its easier to handle/ drive?
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 06:32 AM   #19
Tech Elite

sure..because you have full time 4 wheel drive brakes...yiu can brake later,dive into corners,and have more control of the car...BUT,on a long flowing track,where brakes are less needed,a one way car will carry more sp..but sometimes ,slower is faster,right?
Old 05-26-2003, 06:41 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

With a standard diff in the car I think the car is more predictable and easier to drive in every corner and with a one way your car could be faster but harder to drive (depending on setup). But any way I still drive the V one R and I love this car because it is very durable, easy to drive and easy to setup. Every car has their own needs and setups to be competitive. Maybe the 705 needs all these hop-ups to be competitive with other cars or maybe not. You are going to in the end make your own choice. As far as your local hobby store goes, yeah you should support them but I would not rely on them for your every needs!
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:26 AM   #21
Tech Master

i used to race a serpent pro but this year i switch to mugen mtx3
i put a front diff in it cause i dont like oneway it gain me to more laps on rubber tire than my impulse. to me the car is made for small to medium track (it drive like i'm driving my losi car) and the parts r way cheaper than serpent
dg8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:28 AM   #22
Tech Master

but it's ure choice not ours
dg8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:40 AM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
sure..because you have full time 4 wheel drive brakes...yiu can brake later,dive into corners,and have more control of the car...BUT,on a long flowing track,where brakes are less needed,a one way car will carry more sp..but sometimes ,slower is faster,right?
I have to differ with the one-way against geared diff. A geared diff in the front causes lack of drive out of corners as it wont allow drive to the front wheels until traction is built up in the tires. With a one-way the inside wheel will always drive and pull the car round the turn giving faster exit speed.

But if it doesnt suit your driving style yes it will be slower. If you put 2 equally matched people on a track in terms of driving ability - the first person has just raced 200mm and he has the diff and the second person with experience in either 235mm or 1:8th who has the one-way - the guy with the one-way will be faster around the track regardless of the layout as the one-way will be suited to his driving style.

The other way to get the same effect is to run a solid axle in the front as it will also give direct drive to the front wheels at all times and help pull the car out of the corner. On a twistier track this is my preferred method and has been proved to be a lot faster around our track than front geared diff.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:18 AM   #24
Tech Elite

your right also modellor.....I was just looking at a way for a person to keep the car under control easier....I like the solid axle also..except it takes away off throttle steering..

I've found the gear diff set up to be best..and a one way for bigger tracks...

take care.
harry
Old 05-26-2003, 10:45 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

when running a front solid axle, what diff oil # should be used in the rear diff?
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 12:08 PM   #26
Tech Master

I was using either 50,000 or 75,000wgt grease in my Yokomo rear diff with the front solid axle or else just another rear solid axle.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:03 PM   #27
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by V-1-R
Front one way is more suited for larger track, but in Malaysia, most of the top/fast drivers dont run a front one-way (regardless the track is big or small), but full diff with foam tyres. That means even fast drivers cant drive a oneway car and they prefer the easy newbie way of a full diff car!
One way front diff can be considered relatively new on 1/10 Gas TC. Electric TC people were the early adopters. You need practise when you're on a one way front diff.

Anyway, you are correct. Most of the seasoned racers are on full diffs. The reason is because they are so use to using brakes and 2WD braking is something which they would not be familiar with. You need to change your driving style and find a setup which you can be confortable driving. The available tracks also has something to do with the trend. No sweeping large tracks where you can notice the advantage of a one way front diff.

When you're always confortable qualifying in the A main in big races, would you change your driving style and relearn everything again and possibly risk demoting yourself to B or worst D mains?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:05 PM   #28
Tech Prophet

Quote:
so a full diff car outruns a one-way eqipped car because its easier to handle/ drive?
Depends very much on the driver. Masami ALWAYS drive a one way front diff on ANY track
Old 05-26-2003, 08:09 PM   #29
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by 429racer
Maybe the 705 needs all these hop-ups to be competitive with other cars or maybe not.
No, they do not need hop ups. They are already competitive out of the box. No GPM or 3racing hop ups for the 705.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:38 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
IMHO....outrun is not the word....a differential geared car will be able to attack driving lines better...provided both car equipped will the same engine cap.
vones is offline   Reply With Quote