R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-24-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BOLISARIO
Default Need advice-radio problem

I'm having problems with my throttle servo staying open(during full throttle applications) for about a half second to a second. Just enough time for me to lose the car straight to a wall. I tried changing the linkages so there's no binding, re-routed my Rx wire, lowered throttle EPA, changed servo horns, and even changed servos. I notice it happening when the car is on the farthest end of the track(sweeper to back straight) when on full throttle. And it gets worse when my Rx batteries starts to lose voltage. To the point where it happens even when the car is closer to me.

I have a JR R1 PCM, MTX3 with 730 batt pack. Went from a JR standard servo to an Airtronics servo. My failsafe doesn't even kick in. My steering servo doesn't seem affected by it, not too sure.

Could it be a bad Rx pack? It's only been used twice so far(charged at .75amps). Or a bad Rx?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
BOLISARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:56 AM   #2
Tech Master

Anyone? I know it's an unusual problem, just hoping someone might have had this also happen to them.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:07 AM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

most likely you have a bad radio.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 11:19 AM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
most likely you have a bad radio.
Bad radio? What would be the cause of this? And can it be fixed? I was thinking it was the battery, for now, because it it dumped on me once on Saturday. Recharged the pack, had 2-3 tanks of problem-free running and the problems started to happen again. I think the batts started to dump again, but not sure cuz I went home

Off Topic- If it wasn't for this problem, I'd have to say that the Mugen has been performing great for me. Too bad I'm going through some growing pains right now.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:49 AM   #5
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by BOLISARIO
Bad radio? What would be the cause of this? And can it be fixed? I was thinking it was the battery, for now, because it it dumped on me once on Saturday. Recharged the pack, had 2-3 tanks of problem-free running and the problems started to happen again. I think the batts started to dump again, but not sure cuz I went home

Off Topic- If it wasn't for this problem, I'd have to say that the Mugen has been performing great for me. Too bad I'm going through some growing pains right now.
if you have a habbit not to extending the TX antenna when adjusting servos, and if you have been doing this for a long period of time, your radio module could have been damaged due to excessive heat.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 01:26 PM   #6
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default Re: Need advice-radio problem

Quote:
Originally posted by BOLISARIO
I'm having problems with my throttle servo staying open(during full throttle applications) for about a half second to a second. Just enough time for me to lose the car straight to a wall. I tried changing the linkages so there's no binding, re-routed my Rx wire, lowered throttle EPA, changed servo horns, and even changed servos. I notice it happening when the car is on the farthest end of the track(sweeper to back straight) when on full throttle. And it gets worse when my Rx batteries starts to lose voltage. To the point where it happens even when the car is closer to me.

I have a JR R1 PCM, MTX3 with 730 batt pack. Went from a JR standard servo to an Airtronics servo. My failsafe doesn't even kick in. My steering servo doesn't seem affected by it, not too sure.

Could it be a bad Rx pack? It's only been used twice so far(charged at .75amps). Or a bad Rx?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi Bolisario,

Your radio problem seems pretty much like mine. I also use the JR R-1 PCM with the JR R-330 RX and MTX-3. Despite replacing the new RX, once in a blue moon it acting up when the car was at the farthest. As of now, when running the car at night, at Revelation Raceway, my RX will not pick up any signal. I have found the problem was the temperature. It'll be working like new during the day, but will not work at all at night. My solution is to bring a hairdryer with me to warm the RX, then everything will be fine.
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 02:30 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i would first suspect the servo try changing it first its cheaper anyway

if it was the radio i would think the steering would also be affected
Old 05-27-2003, 02:31 PM   #8
Tech Elite

i would suspect the failsafe may not be reacting because as far as power and signal are concerned they are fine
Old 05-27-2003, 02:45 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by PTP Racing
i would first suspect the servo try changing it first its cheaper anyway

if it was the radio i would think the steering would also be affected
Quote:
Went from a JR standard servo to an Airtronics servo.

Do you have another radio system? Even a cheap one, then I might suggest trying to run the servos with its Tx and Rx, to isolate the problem to the radio system (as most of us have by now singled out).
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 02:53 PM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish

Quote:
Originally posted by PTP Racing
i would suspect the failsafe may not be reacting because as far as power and signal are concerned they are fine
Since it's PCM version, assume that he used the R-330S PCM Rx, I doubt if he had any failsafe. Otherwise, that's a good point to check, as well.
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:55 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default hey bo!

hey bo!
i was talking to robbie at the regonialsabout battery packs and
people having problems with them dumping . his answer was if you are using the mugen packs don't charge them over .5 amps
and as they cycle a few times they will last longer .
isuzuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:35 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiethefish
Since it's PCM version, assume that he used the R-330S PCM Rx, I doubt if he had any failsafe. Otherwise, that's a good point to check, as well.
Yeah I use the same exact setup: R1 with 330SPCM Rx. I ALWAYS have my failsafe(full brake and steering straight) on. It never kicked in. I notice with this failsafe, it doesn't kick in when voltage drops on the Tx(when the low batt beeping is heard) only when it's completely shut down. BTW, eddiethefish, this happened during the day(10am-4pm). It was overcast and kinda cool outside. But I've been using this radio for years with no problems til now.

Quote:
Do you have another radio system? Even a cheap one, then I might suggest trying to run the servos with its Tx and Rx, to isolate the problem to the radio system (as most of us have by now singled out).
No, I don't bring an extra radio with me to the track everyday(plus I don't have one) to experiment with and not enough time during that day to isolate the problem with the radio. But I'll hit the track tomorrow and just bought an RDLogics 800 Rx pack, so I'll start there. I also have an extra Rx and installed another new throttle servo, if it's still acting up then it's the radio. This is gonna suck cuz I gotta send it all the way to Horizon Hobby to get it repaired.

Last edited by BOLISARIO; 05-28-2003 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:48 AM   #13
Que
Tech Adept

Default I think he has a bad radio

The problem seems intermitent in his use and it can't be his pack because uf he went home before i dumped on him and he still had this glitching promblem then i am led to believe that he has a bad TX and Failsafe. Just better to buy a JR XS3 if you like that brand I know I do!
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 11:23 AM   #14
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Throttle stays open.

I would bet money it is a receiver that is bad. I've been racing for 20 years and 9 out of 10 times this is the problem. Put a different one in and try it. I had this problem at te region 12 champs a few weeks ago and went full throttle into the boards at the end of the straight away. I use JR pcm and that is all. I tried different crystals a new throttle servo and it did the same thing.
POWER MASTER Fuel, 2mm Designs
Protoform Bodies, Avid Bearings, AMR Engines
YBSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 12:25 PM   #15
Tech Elite

ive had alot of servo failures in the past but that may be because i have been using hitec digital servos i always suspect them first

but if the radio equipment has taken some hard whacks it could be anyhting or maybe a couple things