R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What promotes Negativity in our sport

Well to get a few opinions directly related to the subject I ask it here. I have seen in a few post made here in between others posts of their track and where they race and feel that only takes away from what they are posting for.

What I would like to know and am trying to do is to gather information that can and will be used by myself and others to try and have a standard of things to try and avoid. In all actuality we know that we are our own worse enemy but as many that I have corresponded with like J-speed and several others. What can be done to change our sport and bring it to the forefront bring it to the mainstream. We have big events and beautiful tracks, we even had for a minute that Chianelli show that I was hoping to grown but after corresponding with Chris found that it did take a launch but not the one that we need to give our sport the boost it needs to be a house hold reality.

When you say RC most think Radio Shack or Toys R us. They dont think of the mini scaled race machines that we operate. We need to stamp out negativity bring our sport to the forefront. So what can we do, where do we start, I have talked to others that are ready for action and I think as a whole things can be changed but the change must begin with the individual...

Remember I made the post because of the in between subject that take away from a posters main purpose. This subject might not strike many as odd but for anyone that has seen the natural decline in moral of racing and the lack of opportunity to be showcased you know what I mean. Post your views, thoughts, reality, wishes, hopes, aspirations

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Tech Addict

As a recent newcomer to this hobby, I'll chime in. I started to look into RC racing about three years ago. Eventually, I decide to go with a used MTX-3 and got started in the nitro scene. Now, two years later, I find myself totally emerged in the hobby. After a year and a half of 1/10th scale I made the quantum leap into 1/8th scale (on-road) last January. Your post made me wonder about why more people like me have not made the effort. One can always say that the costs are escalating. While this is true, it still is cheaper than campaigning a real race car in SCCA. So for the real race fan, this is probably not the main reason. I will go as far as to say one of the things we all find of great value is likely to be the deterent to a lot of the newbies, the highly techincal aspect of these road rockets. Even if money is no object and you invest in all of the tools that you need, you will still have to get the car setup right and constantly replace the worn parts. Without a properly setup car, it becomes a nightmare to drive around the tracks without breaking something. This frustrates the new guy and they will likely give it up. I know that all of the RC drivers around are more than willing to assist, but I am here to tell you that I am still learning after 2 plus years of wrenching on the cars. We make it even worse by not providing enough entry level (rookie) race classes for someone to hone their skills before they feel comfortable stepping out into the BIGS. At our track, Mike's Hobby Shop in Porter Texas, we have launched a Fall/Winter Series that includes a Nitro RTR class and an electlric, box stock class, that runs the Associated R18. So far we have had only one race in the series and the sign is that we are going in the right direction offering these classes along side the more competitive classes. Once the newcomer gets comfortable in the rookie class, they will have had a chance to view what it takes to get into the faster electric or nitro classes. I hope that next year I can report to you that we have gained a few more racers in the race classes.

Anyway, that is just some food for thought,
Roger
Woodlands Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Default Our Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrunchone View Post
Well to get a few opinions directly related to the subject I ask it here. I have seen in a few post made here in between others posts of their track and where they race and feel that only takes away from what they are posting for.

What I would like to know and am trying to do is to gather information that can and will be used by myself and others to try and have a standard of things to try and avoid. In all actuality we know that we are our own worse enemy but as many that I have corresponded with like J-speed and several others. What can be done to change our sport and bring it to the forefront bring it to the mainstream. We have big events and beautiful tracks, we even had for a minute that Chianelli show that I was hoping to grown but after corresponding with Chris found that it did take a launch but not the one that we need to give our sport the boost it needs to be a house hold reality.

When you say RC most think Radio Shack or Toys R us. They dont think of the mini scaled race machines that we operate. We need to stamp out negativity bring our sport to the forefront. So what can we do, where do we start, I have talked to others that are ready for action and I think as a whole things can be changed but the change must begin with the individual...

Remember I made the post because of the in between subject that take away from a posters main purpose. This subject might not strike many as odd but for anyone that has seen the natural decline in moral of racing and the lack of opportunity to be showcased you know what I mean. Post your views, thoughts, reality, wishes, hopes, aspirations
Rick,

Don’t know if I should be honored or not by you’re mentioning of Jspeed at the start of this thread, LOL.

In reading what you’ve written, I guess the first questions that must be answered by each of us that post on this thread are where they stand:

Do you want RC racing to grow into the mainstream?
or
Do you see no reason for RC racing to grow into the mainstream?
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Tech Elite

First of all, Congratulations Rick!

What I find disturbing about our sport and especially when I race at different tracks are clicks and attitudes of racers that are always negative.

CLICKS....... (a small group of people who are not part of the organization but think they run the place)
The click part bothers me because these people will come together and try in their minds to do what they think is right. Unfortunately, I have seen this in a couple of tracks in the past year. The outcome of that was the eventual closing of the tracks. Clicks also bring up bad feelings for other racers. The (I'm better than you) attitude comes out and drives a wedge between all the non click racers. Sometimes even the track owners or organizers can be influenced by this group. The outcome is that changes by a select few, mess up the entire program.

Poor Attitudes.....
Attitudes of racers is another thing that promotes negativity. I have noticed that many racers that do not travel but stay at a specific track have almost a complex of superiority at their home track. They do not want to help and will bully people while racing. I do understand the aggressive nature of people that want to win, but there must be some humility and openness to others. At large races, I see that all the racers are very open and willing to help out with damn near every aspect of racing. If it weren't for that openness and that (get back out there!!) attitude from the people that were there at the time I would have given up this hobby totally back in March. (Thank you Chavo and Darryl Lee for the Vince Lombardy pep talk!!)

I whole hartedly believe that the track operator/Owner should not bend with rules and regulations of the club/track. Making it clear how you are to act on the track and manors that each racer must adhere by. Not being a tyrant but at the same time the operator(s) must have an open ear to what the racers want or changes that could be made.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
Tech Elite

How can we improve our image?

Expose more people to the hobby! I teach everyday. My students get to see a few of my kits that I bring to the classroom. I use my vehicles for other classes as well as my videos from races. It is a major eye opener for many who thought that RC was just Radio shack stuff. On the other hand people see how much we spend on our rigs and have the impression that it is too much for a "toy car". At speeds of 70 mph it damn sure ain't no toy car!!

Another way to bring attention to our hobby is to bring outside companies to sponsor races at locations. I've seen races at Best B-ys, mall parking lots, and even at school yards. When a company openly sponsors a trophy race, people come out from all over the place because the company wants attention as well as the racers. It's fun to be mobile and out in the open
every once in a while.

I'm gonna get off my soap box now. Hope I helped!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

3 years ago i purchased my first nitro rc car. it was a 1/10th onroad pull start. i had a electric buggy (Hornet) when was much younger. i went to the local track a couple of times and had a look at what was on show. i raced my car a few times and while eager to do well, i was also trying to keep out of others way. after a few meets i started to spend more money to get the car going well. a few more weeks and i foundmyself wanting a better stronger car. i got myself a Yokomo GT-4, and after a few meets with this car, i found myself gettin more consistent and doing well. i rebuilt the car for the new season and it went rather well. a few guys left the pull start class, and never to return ? why i dont know. but after winning most of the races and TQ, i found it was getting say, not as challenging as before. after a state title win, i made the transition to the next class up, 1/10th pro. i basically gave up a championship in the transition, but a younger driver was getting better as well, and i was hoping he would have the confidence to take out the championship after i left the class. the 10 year old did, and he gained the experience he has today with the help of others at the track. but my transition didnt go well. seems a couple of guys at the track were quite harsh in respects to maybe teach me , its not that easy. everyone is there to enjoy themselves, and get back for THIER hard earned money in a sport i am now hooked on. i will say there is no one that has the right to think they are better than anyone else at the track, they maybe faster or more experienced, but no one has the right to bully, argue, and belittle anyone else. if i didnt love this sport (hobby?) i probably would have just left and never returned. no one knows the potential of what some one is capable of , as a person, driver or mentor. to push some one away from the sport is only going to harm the sport or hobby if you wish, in the long run. now not everyone is like this, but the select few can do more damage than twice the people that dont do this. luckily i got over the hurdle fairly quickly and am still racing. but may not have the oppurtunity to go to the next level. our track has been closed due to excessive noise. so no real certain future at the moment. just looking forward to my first National event in just a few weeks. then maybe Nitro off road after that. its the thrill and pure enjoyment i keep going for, there is nothing like it. i hope everyone enjoys their racing
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T

Last edited by Pattojnr; 10-05-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Default Our Sport

Yep, those “clicks’ & track bully’s are everywhere.

So in your opinions, do you think those guys want to see RC racing grow into the mainstream or do you think they’re happy with the way things are now?

Last edited by Jspeed; 10-06-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:29 AM   #8
Tech Elite

ppl putting other ppl down for just having fun

and the click thing ya oh lets make a new track rule just because bla bla
i just dont like dumb %$# attitudes,it kills everything i know iv seen it for over 22 years of doing this rc thing
and ya i see it here on the forums to. but i and others that have told me at the track i run and by pm and e mail laugh coz no matter what im having fun.

at the track i run at now we dont have this problem,we all have fun
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:33 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Yep, those “clicks’ & track bully’s are everywhere.

So in your opinions, do you think those guys want to see RC racing grow into the mainstream or do you think they’re happy with the way things are now?
people like that dont care about anything but money and there self.
its like a gang thing,there selfish.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:53 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What I get tired of is the people in the hobby who just can't seem to understand that everyone who gets into the hobby is not concerned with making a main with the "factory drivers". I read a lot of post telling new guys to go straight for the top of the line car, engine , and radio. That engine isn't fast enough, this fuel is no good, that radio sucks. Let the new guys get what they can afford without talking down on what they choose to run.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:20 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maybe some of the negativity comes from frustration. I know, for me, I got really upset the other day when I saw (and i'm dead serious here) high school championship(?) Scrabble on ESPN2. I've seen a lot of uninteresting "sports" shows on t.v. (rock-paper-scissors championships comes to mind) and I always think, you know, if it was done right, r.c. racing could be on t.v. It would have to be well edited, with music or something, but you know what I mean. I also get frustrated when people come to our track to race but they don't want to help with the track, or track repair days, and they can't even be bothered to come to a club meeting. I mean, if they enjoy racing, why not try to help keep it around? There was free food at our meetings and we still didn't get a good turn-out. I guess if we had a perm. track we wouldn't have these problems but i'd still be frustrated by the lack of respect r/c racers get from the general public and the fact that there aren't more on-road perm. tracks in my area. I have to drive 2 hours to get to the nearest perm. track.(It's 301 raceway and i'd drive 10 hours to go to that track!) Other than that, I love racing!

(BTW, Kcrunchone, I think I raced against you at the GLC last year. I won the E-main and I think you wanted me to bump-up so you'd get the trophy. I didn't bump though, I love that trophy! )

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:08 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

My experiences is that tracks located nearby factories or shops are brand minded which gives a a unwanted feeling if you come up with another brand.

Also a lot of racers have no respect for the guys who show up with a simple RTR car
Old 10-06-2007, 09:59 AM   #13
Tech Regular

internet forums promote negativity. gives people the right to express their defferences and put each other down. the forums should only allow positive helping information.
R/c going mainstream, many have dreamed it! Many have tried and the only one that would be able to do that is Custom Works they have TONY STEWART. he has yet to promote his company in the mainstream.
jake alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Also a lot of racers have no respect for the guys who show up with a simple RTR car
I totally agree with that. Those same guys forget that they were once rookies and someone helped them along the way.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrunchone View Post

. So what can we do, where do we start, I have talked to others that are ready for action and I think as a whole things can be changed but the change must begin with the individual...
..............we need ESPN (2) to cover a National race.............if people watch freakin' spelling bees, cheerleading "competitions", and woMANs' softball, surely there would be people out there that would watch a 1/8 nitro race............until such time that the hobby can seem to be "mainstream" it will not grow...............we also need cheaper classes.....funny coming from me, i race 1/8 onroad................1/8 pan classes need to come back with single speeds and lower priced motors...........old school club racing.......
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote