R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #91
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

what's this rally car rc racing business???

1/8th scale inferno??
does it come with a am27mhz radio?
who's gonna wanna run that?

400 for the car..
$$ for fuel..
$$ for tires and wheels..
$$ for transponder...
$$ for rechargeable glow plug ignitor
$$ for rechargeable receiver pack
$$ for battery charger to charge batteries
$$ for entrance fee for the race...
$$ for certain down the line upgrade on the radio
$$ for engine replacement...
$$ for starter box b/c you are getting tired of pull start...
$$ for replacement body....
$$ for broken parts replacement
$$ for shock oils and diff oils...
$$ for glow plugs... (did you know these things now cost $5?! now? 8 to 10 for turbo plugs??!!)
$$ for tools b/c L wrenches the kit came with suck.
$$ for flywheel removal tool
$$ for threadlock....
$$ for setup tools like camber and toe gauges.. you are going to want a setup board later...
$$ for (fill in the blank)
and the list goes on..

Sorry. Couldn't help it. It seemed like you were simplifying it too much.. $400 and go race??
cheesewhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #92
Tech Adept

im not saying it is supposed to be easy.Because if it was my wife would freakin be doing it then what,but new racers is what we want.you cant just go out and beat the crap out of them each week and them stay.
MDunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #93
Tech Elite

Check out this video, it’s off-road but it gives an idea on how RC racing could look on Saturday mornings as a “Sports Spectacular” program. Put together with interviews to create “stars” and educational segments.

http://www.promofo-racing.org/video/...xp-Buggy-A.wmv

All we have to do is “take it to the streets” in front of the masses, let it be seen where it’s not expected. If we can’t bring them to the tracks, bring the tracks to them. We’re gonna have to go “grass roots” or RC will not grow.

Like Jack Nicholas said in the movie Batman. “This town needs an enigma”.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:41 AM   #94
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewhip View Post

1/8th scale inferno??

400 for the car..

Sorry. Couldn't help it. It seemed like you were simplifying it too much.. $400 and go race??
I hear you, but if you and I open up two RTR boxes, I'll race you on any track, be it "World Class" or Parking lot, "Box Stock". That's what its all about.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #95
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewhip View Post

1/8th scale inferno??

400 for the car..
$$ for fuel..
$$ for tires and wheels..
$$ for transponder...
$$ for rechargeable glow plug ignitor
$$ for rechargeable receiver pack
$$ for battery charger to charge batteries
$$ for entrance fee for the race...
$$ for certain down the line upgrade on the radio
$$ for engine replacement...
$$ for starter box b/c you are getting tired of pull start...
$$ for replacement body....
$$ for broken parts replacement
$$ for shock oils and diff oils...
$$ for glow plugs... (did you know these things now cost $5?! now? 8 to 10 for turbo plugs??!!)
$$ for tools b/c L wrenches the kit came with suck.
$$ for flywheel removal tool
$$ for threadlock....
$$ for setup tools like camber and toe gauges.. you are going to want a setup board later...
$$ for (fill in the blank)
and the list goes on..

Dude, that's a little dramatic for a first time racer. Yes the AM radio is good enough, yes the pull start works, yes those cheesey tools are ok...to start with. Racing doesn't need to be that up to date tech wise. I started onroad racing with an RC10gt forever ago. All I had was the pull start and cheap radio. No special tools or anything. My truck, radio and small box of tools. You like many have been brain washed into thinking you NEED to have all that other crap to drive a car around a parking lot. Well you don't. You can buy more and move on at your own pace.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:49 AM   #96
Tech Adept

perfectly said, that is right on....
MDunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #97
Tech Elite

That’s a 100% accurate assessment of the “Negative Image of RC Racing”.
That is what needs to be purged from our sport, to allow entry level grass roots racing to grow.

The “GT” cars can be raced right out of the box. Off-Road has grown huge because you can race an RTR buggy at any “Club” track or empty lot, the GT cars won’t break like a RTR Sedan when it hits a pipe or board, they just keep on going.

Do you want RC racing to go mainstream or not?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #98
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What promotes negativity in our sport....

Well, I think what promotes negativity is the mentallity of racers trying to make it fair to their own individual level, the jelousy, and money.

I say this because people often complain about the rules and how it should be done to their own individual advantage. Jelousy feeling bad for not being able to afford that very expensive new kit a racer next to you is using and thinking that it's not fair. Money, well, everybody wants to make racing cheap... reality of it is that it's not always the case. However, you can make it inexpensive to a point that it is affordable just don't go crazy trying to have everything those team drivers have.

Just go race and have fun. If everybody has this mentallity then everything will be better. Follow the rules and do what the race director wants you to do, not what you want them to do. If someone has a more expensive kit and motor than you do, big deal, don't complain. You can't complain to the authorities that your neighbor got a Mercedez and you don't, can you?
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #99
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentd View Post
Dude, that's a little dramatic for a first time racer. Yes the AM radio is good enough, yes the pull start works, yes those cheesey tools are ok...to start with. Racing doesn't need to be that up to date tech wise. I started onroad racing with an RC10gt forever ago. All I had was the pull start and cheap radio. No special tools or anything. My truck, radio and small box of tools. You like many have been brain washed into thinking you NEED to have all that other crap to drive a car around a parking lot. Well you don't. You can buy more and move on at your own pace.
i know, i know... i was being a little too practical.. yes you can race with the minimal gear and have fun.. and i wasn't saying that you need all the things listed at the beginning- just down the line. i'm just trying to not mislead people into thinking that if they save up $400 and buy a rtr they can hop right onto whatever track and race.. you do need to get support equipment and fuel.. and time to break in the engine, learn how to drive, get used to the car before actually going out and racing. i've had friends that just skipped those steps the first time they went out racing and they spent the time at the track breaking in the engine, running back and forth to the hobby shop to get the little things you needed to get the car running... glow plugs, wheel nut wrench, after run oil... by the time their cars were ready to race, the race was over..

you don't NEED the tools, but it does save time and make things easier... so i think it makes it more practical to get them as you grow in the hobby..
cheesewhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Gutierrez View Post
What promotes negativity in our sport....

Well, I think what promotes negativity is the mentallity of racers trying to make it fair to their own individual level, the jelousy, and money.

I say this because people often complain about the rules and how it should be done to their own individual advantage. Jelousy feeling bad for not being able to afford that very expensive new kit a racer next to you is using and thinking that it's not fair. Money, well, everybody wants to make racing cheap... reality of it is that it's not always the case. However, you can make it inexpensive to a point that it is affordable just don't go crazy trying to have everything those team drivers have.

Just go race and have fun. If everybody has this mentallity then everything will be better. Follow the rules and do what the race director wants you to do, not what you want them to do. If someone has a more expensive kit and motor than you do, big deal, don't complain. You can't complain to the authorities that your neighbor got a Mercedez and you don't, can you?
I think the whole idea of this thread is to find ways we can grow our sport.

The current cars that race On-Road are great. They are Hi-end product that are amazing and offer the ultimate RC racing experience. They are however, not real good at attracting people off the street.

We had an RC Pro Series “Special Event” at the Homestead Motor Speedway during the “Indy 300” race last March. At the race we had Tens of thousands of people that had never seen RC racing check us out.

They all asked the most dreaded questions.

How fast do they go?
How much do they cost?

That’s what I was personally asked so many times in 3 days that it made me sick to my stomach.

So yea, it was easy to answer the speed question. But the look on their faces when I told them how much money it costs to run Sedan or 8th scale…..”dude are you kidding right?”

Plus, if any of those thousands of people were to sink down the big bucks to race what we’re running now, the first time they hit a board and shatter their car they’ll get a rude awakening.

The GT cars are tough enough to take a serious beating, anyone that wants to put their Sedan or 8th scale in the “Pit” with one of these cars will learn how fragile their car really is.

I think the concept for the GT Rally racing that is being looked at by so many will help with the public’s image of RC racing a whole lot.

GT racing won’t take anything from what we’re already got, but they will add to what we don’t have. Which is a affordable entry level racing experience for the “Mainstream”.

Do you want RC racing to go Mainstream or not?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #101
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I always get pissed when ppl blame the hobby shops.

First off, this is my opionon. I work for a new 8000 sq ft Hobbytown. The owner is a top notch person, into the hobby on the flying end. (heli's and planes) I have enough room for maybe 4 or 5 different manufactures, to cover all of there cars. Do I stock Mugen? No. I'd love too. But Traxxas promotes there products way better than Mugen, and they sell over a million Revo's in a year, for a reason. You can drive it anywhere.

I love racing. I'm a Kyosho Team driver, driving the RRR Evo WC. I own CVEC Racing. I'm active ROAR member. When I can, I go to all my FORGASS (ROAR) onroad races. I even buy from other hobby shops to help support them. Our prices are on par with anyone online. But until the racers want to come and buy on a regular basis, I'll keep selling those Revo's / Tmaxx's, they keep the multi million dollar investment we call a hobby shop open.

As far as a race track, so the public can see it? Yeah right. We have a lot next to hobbytown empty, ready for use. They want $500,000 for it. Then the city wants there part in it, and then you need to make sure your 1/2 mile away from residents, or they complain about noise.

My advise, support your local hobby shop, show up for the races, and for god sakes, ROAR / RC Pro Series needs to do some advertising. Not in RC mags, but in the month leading up to an event, do a radio add, or news paper adds. Same 100 guys keep reading the RC Mags, in the hobby shop no less, and not buying it.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #102
Tech Addict

I also wanted to add:

PNP Hobbies & Superior Hobbies are 2 of the best hobby shops I've ever been in. They do cover the entire RC Hobby for cars and trucks, better than anyone I've ever seen. From Trucks to the top onroad cars in the industry. Traxxas to Serpent, Mugen, Kyosho, Corally, XRay, HPI, AE, ect. ect. They also put on some of the best racing in the State of FL. They do promote their racing, and other shops around FL promote those guys racing program. They offer begginer classes, stock classes, and Expert classes. Not uncommon to see Factory Drivers at these tracks.

Just wanted to add, there are some great racing still going on today.

www.superiorhobbies.com

www.pnphobbies.net
Old 10-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #103
Tech Addict

The need to advertise, the need to promote positively, the need to support, the need to revive.

There are all of the natural survival instincts that we should be thinking. We need to focus in on how we can get to the mainstream. Focus on how we can stay and maintain a life in the mainstream without being overwhelmed without be overcome by cliques, shops, track bullies.

Our survival instincts must kick in and they must kick in soon, as I have stated previously. I have spoken with many that have the power to make changes but sit idle and reluctant. Only for fear, we have nothing to fear especially when we are faced with clubs not succeeding, tyrants attempting to bully, fools that do not participate but are willing to criticize all of the efforts of the people that are willing to get that blue collar dirty.

If we are to survive and thrive we must find a common ground that can catapult the sport in a manner that is not only affordable but in a manner that can and without strain be sustained. One post stated about all of the things required, what is required is basic items and the rest we dream up when we visualize having the specialized tools for this and for that. We need to fall back analyze the situation buy what is necessary, recommend only what is necessary then and only then will you see the sport flourish in a manner in which it has never done so in the past years.

All of our hopes and wishes to make things grand are in our reach, in fact they are in our hearts and hands we just have to start using them. The tools to success are being able to keep things on a simple and basic level nothing more nothing less.

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #104
Tech Addict

What make s me so proud to see is that we have tons of racers that care and have useful and competent suggestions. This is another part of loving this sport/hobby that makes it worth while.

We are the keys to success ! ! !

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #105
Tech Elite

This is $400 dollars worth of “Positivity” for our sport.