R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #61
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
I think Rc just kinda suxd here in the US. Look at the worlds in Argentina. They make it look like the Super Bowl. I just think racing anything in the US is just bad! Look at Nascar, it has NOTHING on F1 over seas.

That is why I posted the bill boards they had made up put all over town, they advertised to the max and that is what makes the difference. We are not treating the sport with the same amount of dignity and respect that it gets overseas.

When stationed overseas and seeing one of these races for the first time back in 87 even then they had traffic blocked off for the event and the whole nine. I was bit from that moment and started to look into things but never really made much progress on getting in once I came back to the states because I had NO access, not like going to one of the events in Germany which was so damn exciting. This and many other things we need to bring here so that the sport and the machines that we use are known as such and get the placement in mainstream they deserve.

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Ghetto Teacher,
I’ll try to see who has inventory if I get to talk to the Kyosho crew tomorrow. SS Speedway here in Tampa is thinking about the GT rentals too.

Pooh2,
We hear you, but NASCAR races are pretty serious events. Did you see how many people were at Talledega last weekend?

I think they said something like 400 Thousand spectators, we Americans can be very proud of numbers like that.

But yea the Worlds in Argentina and the last Worlds in Messina really set the bar very high. The IFMAR Off-Road Worlds is here in America next. You would hope for our country’s image that those in charge stand up and do something to make the USA look good too.

Rick,
You better watch out, you’re starting to type like me, you know the RC dream police might get upset because you’re telling them to lead, follow or get out of the way.

Did you see the billboard in Argentina?

Have you ever seen anything like that for an American RC race?

Yea, the Florida RC Mafia is pissed off at me, but it’s good to see you can understand the lack of promotions at our American events and what needs to be done to go mainstream with our sport.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #63
Tech Addict

TO be honest there is no struggle made that does not come with sacrifice.

Last edited by kcrunchone; 10-09-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #64
Tech Addict

TO be honest there is no struggle made that does not come withOUT sacrifice.
In reality we need to force things along some how get acquainted with people that can actually make the transgression to mainstream and allow our SPORT to shine in the forefront. I know some can remember when entry level RTR were truly affordable to even young kids. Now without some assistance from another individual or weeks upon weeks of savings it just does not happen for them. We are older with jobs have a bit of an easier decision to make on what chassis to buy or what race to attend. They on the other hand dont and the choices become slim to none this stop a potential racers who not only could shine in the sport but be the next local champ or world champ, you never know unless the break is afforded to that individual.

Last edited by kcrunchone; 10-09-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #65
Tech Elite

But Rick…….

Tell us what you really think, you just made yourself the second most hated guy in RC, just kidding
Old 10-09-2007, 10:51 AM   #66
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Ghetto Teacher,
I’ll try to see who has inventory if I get to talk to the Kyosho crew tomorrow. SS Speedway here in Tampa is thinking about the GT rentals too.

That question was from me.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Cool, sorry about that.

I'll try to get you some answers.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:48 AM   #68
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
But Rick…….

Tell us what you really think, you just made yourself the second most hated guy in RC, just kidding

I feel as though the leashes that are on the sport need to be released in order to prosper and shine. As far as being hated anyone that wants to join the long line for haters please feel free. You can use peoples hate same as in balance of JUDO against them. Usually those that hate only hate for reasons that they feel must be held in the background until they have shown their true cards and by that time it is to late to cover your hand because they have let all the world see.

I have dealt with more than hate in my lifetime so a bit more of hate with a side serving of aggravation has always been on my plate, just dont forget the pickle ! !

Old 10-09-2007, 11:05 PM   #69
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've just started last year and gotten into the hobby with the goal of racing onroad, but quickly got out. I could put up with a lot of things: the rude hobby shop people, racing against with $1000 cars, no beginner class or whatever, etc But there is one thing that really kills RC racing.

Price, Especially maintenance - This kills RC racing and gives it the "money pit" saying.
Racing is too expensive unless you’re already "set" in life. Nitro RC racing makes going out cheap. The setup price is already expensive, but the fact that it doesn't really get any cheaper is the killer. The cost of maintenance is unbelievable. Imma just go skip listing the 10 or so items that must be replaced, cause all of you should know how things add up.

Battery racing is a bit cheaper in end, but the short run times unless you buy several batteries and a quick charger, just plan sucks.

Lipo/brushless is lot better with battery life, but you are still only getting about 30 minutes of run time. If i'm not mistaken, you are still going to have to buy a few packs to make it through the day. Those batterys aren't cheap either. I admit, lipo/brushless has made things a bit more interesting though.

With raising gas car prices(i'm talking about the gas you put in your real car) and the lazyness to drive far, I tend to second guess driving an hour to the race track for only 30 minutes of runtime. Oh, lets not forget if your local track happans to have crazy tire wear, thats a fresh set of tires gone (i admit this argument is kinda weak if you tires actually hold up for a long time, but at my track, its a fresh set just to practice)

Main point, no average kid can really afford rc racing for extended periods of time unless they have a job going straight to rc expenses. Many adults who can afford RC racing could possibly see it as being irresponsible investing $700 bucks in a race ready rc car.

At this point it’s a novelty of hobbies. Most people between the ages 10-30 rather pay 50 bucks for a video game and get between 20-1000 hours of entertainment. For example, Halo 3 made like 300 million in like one week. People have at least 20 hours of fun for a 50 dollar game, but what does 50 dollar at track gives you?

Conclusion, a lot of problems could be solved if racing is cheaper... manufactures and local hobby shops need to quit ripping people off, just about any hobby person will say RC is a money pit

So lets say things are cheaper. The difference between the best car and worst car is much less apparent. That means I practice everyday, memorize the track, learn exactly what car adjustment do, and get really good at racing. After a while, you can basically say I’m intermediate class, the pros can then teach me the advanced techniques, and then I can spend the weekdays practing while they working there 9-6 jobs. Relatively soon, it becomes a matter of skill (or rather the amount of practice time) I should be able to be a pretty good competitor.

One last thing, I laughed when I read ROAR’s guidelines when they said there goals were to make RC racing “affordable”

Last edited by a1m80t; 10-19-2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: grammer and clarification
a1m80t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:12 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Check out the new “Kyosho Inferno GT” and “Rally” classes of nitro on-road racing that are starting up all across America.

RC Pro Series is “sanctioning” these affordable & fun cars starting December 1 of this year.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:02 AM   #71
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m80t View Post
But there is one thing that really kills RC racing.

Price, Especially maintenance This kills RC racing and gives it the "money pit" saying
Racing is too expensive unless you’re already "set" in life. Nitro RC racing makes going out cheap. The setup price is already expensive, but the fact that it doesn't really get any cheaper is the killer. The cost of maintenance is unbelievable. Imma just going to skip the listing the 10 or so items that must be replaced , cause all of you should know how things add up.

Battery racing is a bit cheaper in end, but the short run times unless you buy several batteries and a quick charger, just plan sucks. With raising gas prices, you second guess driving an hour to the race track for only 30minutes of runtime. Oh, and you still have to pay for tires.

Main point, no average kid can really afford rc racing for extended periods of time unless they have a job going straight to rc expenses. Many adults, especially those with family, who could afford RC racing probably, see it as being irresponsible investing $700 bucks in a race ready rc car. Then three is the leisure time in which many adults don’t really have.

At this point it’s a novelty of hobbies. Most people between the ages 10-30 rather pay 50 bucks for a video game and get between 20-1000 hours of entertainment. For example, Halo 3 made like 300 million in like one week. People have at least 20 hours of fun for a 50 dollar game, but what does 50 dollar at track gives you?

Conclusion, a lot of problems could be solved if racing is cheaper... manufactures needs to quit ripping people off, just about any hobby person will say RC is a money pit

So lets say things are cheaper. The difference between the best car and worst car is much less apparent. That means I practice everyday, memorize the track, learn exactly what car adjustment, and get really good at racing. After a while, you can basically say I’m intermediate class, the pros can then teach me advanced techniques, and then I can spend the weekdays when they are working there 9-6 jobs and really practice for extended hours. Relatively soon, I should be able to be a pretty good competitor

One last thing, I laughed when I read ROAR’s guidelines when they said there goals were to make RC racing “affordable”
...........that's why we need to bring back pan cars....cost.....the cars are simple, parts count is low, .ie less parts to break...........I think racing could be made fun and affordable with a 1:8 pan car with motors along the line of an OS .18. The cars would not be so fast as to explode on impact like i do to my Serpent. Also going with a 1:8 buggy type clutch and single speeds would reduce maintenance costs as well. I agree that racing costs big bucks between car, gas, entry fees but look at the money people spend to go out to eat and live in the bars and pound alcohol..........racing is cheaper.
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 AM   #72
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m80t View Post
I've just started last year and gotten into the hobby with the goal of racing onroad, but quickly got out. I could put up with a lot of things: the rude hobby shop people, racing against with $1000 cars, no beginner class or whatever, etc But there is one thing that really kills RC racing.

Price, Especially maintenance This kills RC racing and gives it the "money pit" saying
Racing is too expensive unless you’re already "set" in life.
That is the #1 reason I hear about every time I talk to new people at the track and see rising prices but nobody will listen to me when I mention it because I "can afford" what I want in life. Novarossi seems to find it entertaining to jump to crazy prices, Xray is no slouch on cost to have a car comparable with their team drivers, Team Magic has limitless aftermarket parts that may or may not be needed on top of expensive track fees ($20-25 in my area and $30 if you want a table at a "big" race when entry fees are over $40)

The beginner class usually dies out because only a few people run it, and then when you do have a big sportsman class you end up with the top 1-2 guys running similar lap times to the 5th or 6th fastest expert at the local track which then kills it as well.

Maintenance really isn't that bad, tires can be found for $10 a pair, some fuel, a body depending on how you drive and a new rod every few gallons. I calculated out my expenses one time and I pay about $35 in tires and such per race day and another $20 for the race itself.

Another funny part about a lot of tracks is that we have to pay for at least an hour and a half worth of gas just to get there and back and they're almost always down some dark road that gets little exposure. My main local track is a block or so off the freeway and they have signs indicating there is a hobby shop there, but no real pictures and you can not see the races from the street. One of the other shops is slightly far from freeways but is located on a busy intersection where you can see the racers from the street and they get a TON of walk-in business and are probably responsible for 90% of the new people in the houston area.
brianhatesnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:33 AM   #73
Tech Regular

So the GT class sort of brings up "Spec racing" which has been tried over and over in this hobby and there is ALWAYS someone at your local track that is willing to break the rules and somehow mill out a .15 to .21 and smoke everyone. Before that it was the guy that knew how to open a stock motor and pull some windings out or the guy that soaks his tires in some cloud of green smoke that gives him more traction.

Even if there isn't the guy that directly cheats, there is the guy willing to buy 10 of each part to match a perfect setup (a lot of "team" modded engines are really just extremely well matched piston/sleeve combinations)
brianhatesnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:56 AM   #74
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhatesnitro View Post
So the GT class sort of brings up "Spec racing" which has been tried over and over in this hobby and there is ALWAYS someone at your local track that is willing to break the rules and somehow mill out a .15 to .21 and smoke everyone. Before that it was the guy that knew how to open a stock motor and pull some windings out or the guy that soaks his tires in some cloud of green smoke that gives him more traction.

Even if there isn't the guy that directly cheats, there is the guy willing to buy 10 of each part to match a perfect setup (a lot of "team" modded engines are really just extremely well matched piston/sleeve combinations)
That’s why RC Pro Series is introducing 3 new classes for 2008. All cars must run GT style Super car bodies and rubber tires.

Kyosho Inferno GT (Box Stock) The only thing that can be changed is electronics, oils, set-up & use Kyosho Optional rubber tires.

Kyosho Inferno GT (Super Stock) can use any .28 engine, header/pipe, clutch, rubber tires.

“Rally GT Open”, must be buggy based chassis, any manufacturer, any .28, rubber tires, no rules, go for it.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:01 AM   #75
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhatesnitro View Post

Yeah....so? It's not about winning, it's about having fun at an affordable price. If someone actually feels good about themselves to have to cheat to win, well then so be it. I don't think it will be too difficult to monitor this sort of spec racing. Plus the cheater still has to drive his cheating car around the track with everyone else. So he has to have some skill to win. The fastest car doesn't always win. Like I said, it's about having fun regardless. Lets just keep it at that.