R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
..............we need ESPN (2) to cover a National race.............if people watch freakin' spelling bees, cheerleading "competitions", and woMANs' softball, surely there would be people out there that would watch a 1/8 nitro race............until such time that the hobby can seem to be "mainstream" it will not grow...............we also need cheaper classes.....funny coming from me, i race 1/8 onroad................1/8 pan classes need to come back with single speeds and lower priced motors...........old school club racing.......
Pan classes with inexpensive motors is an excellent idea....after all MANY of us that have raced a good long while started there.
I believe Motonica and a couple other companies in France are making and promoting a "Pan" class and it is successful. If we indeed do this though, it can't go the way Sadan went. Remember? Sedan was started to be an inexpensive way to bring in new blood to our hobby, limiting tires to rubber, single speed transmissions..etc. you get the idea.
Then the manufacturers got greedy seeing a new venue and had "sponsered" drivers enter and voila! We have $500 sedan motors two speed transmissions and our entry level $200 complete race set up now rivals 1/8 in cost.
speedracer1bp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Default Just answer the simple question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake alton View Post
internet forums promote negativity. gives people the right to express their defferences and put each other down. the forums should only allow positive helping information.
R/c going mainstream, many have dreamed it! Many have tried and the only one that would be able to do that is Custom Works they have TONY STEWART. he has yet to promote his company in the mainstream.
Well, if you take away all of the things that make Tony Stewart an internationally recognizable household name, he’s just a guy that loves RC racing just like us.

He would still get that “deer in the headlights” look from new people when he answers the 3 most dreaded RC questions:

How fast do they go?
How much do they cost?
How much can you win?

NASCAR, NHRA, MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA or any professional sport wouldn’t exist without cash payouts for the winners and promotion. Does the sport of RC racing have that?

So, I ask the same questions to all of you again:
Who wants RC racing to go mainstream?
Who doesn’t want RC racing to go mainstream?

Nobody seems to want to answer those questions yet, so let me be the first to say it on this thread.

I want RC racing to go mainstream, how about you?
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer1bp View Post
Pan classes with inexpensive motors is an excellent idea....after all MANY of us that have raced a good long while started there.
I believe Motonica and a couple other companies in France are making and promoting a "Pan" class and it is successful. If we indeed do this though, it can't go the way Sadan went. Remember? Sedan was started to be an inexpensive way to bring in new blood to our hobby, limiting tires to rubber, single speed transmissions..etc. you get the idea.
Then the manufacturers got greedy seeing a new venue and had "sponsered" drivers enter and voila! We have $500 sedan motors two speed transmissions and our entry level $200 complete race set up now rivals 1/8 in cost.
..............walaaaaaaaaaaaaa http://www.redrc.net/2007/02/motonica-p80-classic-2wd/ ................does anyone have these in the US?...........i'm going to try one if i can get my mitts on it and take it to the track next year with a cheap OS and let all the 1/8 guys wring it out.............this will hook them for sure............
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #19
Tech Elite

mainstream
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Mainstream all the way!!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMD View Post
Maybe some of the negativity comes from frustration. I know, for me, I got really upset the other day when I saw (and i'm dead serious here) high school championship(?) Scrabble on ESPN2. I've seen a lot of uninteresting "sports" shows on t.v. (rock-paper-scissors championships comes to mind) and I always think, you know, if it was done right, r.c. racing could be on t.v. It would have to be well edited, with music or something, but you know what I mean. I also get frustrated when people come to our track to race but they don't want to help with the track, or track repair days, and they can't even be bothered to come to a club meeting. I mean, if they enjoy racing, why not try to help keep it around? There was free food at our meetings and we still didn't get a good turn-out. I guess if we had a perm. track we wouldn't have these problems but i'd still be frustrated by the lack of respect r/c racers get from the general public and the fact that there aren't more on-road perm. tracks in my area. I have to drive 2 hours to get to the nearest perm. track.(It's 301 raceway and i'd drive 10 hours to go to that track!) Other than that, I love racing!

(BTW, Kcrunchone, I think I raced against you at the GLC last year. I won the E-main and I think you wanted me to bump-up so you'd get the trophy. I didn't bump though, I love that trophy! )
yeah I remember you... LOL yeah I finished behind you in that race, car ran out of fuel and you walked the win in after I was started it was to late to make up the time. LMAO LMAO That was a great race and you were good comp and we had fun the whole time. My highest main to fate at GLC is the C main a few years back but have had some bad spells but that is racing and either way I have fun each and every time I go. I love Ted he is my guru I feed off of his knowledge to build our club....That is what is needed THE FUN FACTOR which has been missing in our sport....

"Failure Is Not An Option"

Last edited by kcrunchone; 10-06-2007 at 07:48 PM.
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #22
Tech Addict

I would love for the racing scene to go main stream all the way. My issue is in going main stream we need people to catapult us there. I have spoken with many groups and individuals with power and influence on this topic and feel that we have more than a leg to stand on and our chances are only as good as the spokes people that we invoke to do the job. Clubs can only make it so far if we do not do something to change the direction that those that profit in the industry have the power to change. We need to realize that WE are the industry and without US there is and will not be a them.

All in all we can make a dent in the movement but we must make the movement a reality first.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Default Enter GT Rally Racing

The Motonica pan car looks real cool for lower cost “hard core racing”, but when a kid & his dad come over and ask “ hey mister, how much does a car like that cost?”

You have to say “ well the chassis costs this much, the engine costs this much, the radio costs this much, the servos cost this much, the foams cost this much…………… you’ll need $1,500 to play this game”.

So after all that, the dad looks at the kid and says, “ are you kidding, your mom will kill me if I get you one of those”. Game over, future racer lost, no growth, everything stays the same, no mainstream, no nothing.

But if we want to promote RC into the mainstream, maybe we should look at the new Kyosho Inferno GT Rally cars. Racing classes starting up all over the place and they can be driven just about anywhere.

The cars are RTR at $400, they’re fast enough, stronger & more durable than any on-road chassis, big enough to be seen well and can run on any track or parking lot with rubber tires that don’t chunk, require a tire truer or a pocket full of cash for foam. Best of all, they’re fun.

Talk about bringing the RC action to the “people”, the versatility of Rally cars is unequal.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #24
Tech Addict

I want it so bad that I can taste it.
I am willing to assist in any way to make it a reality. I know that it can be done because no one starts at the top so if we crawl then climb our way up then that is what must be done.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #25
Tech Master

I like those Kyosho Inferno cars. They're strong, cheap, and most of us americans think bigger is better so the new people will be into it. The only problem I see is that we don't have them now. So, we would need guys that are already running something else to buy one so the newbys can see them. I think it would be difficult to suggest one to a new person when they haven't seen them. Plus once they get one, they will be the only one running them until more new guys come along and who wants to run alone? The obstacle I see here is how can you start a new class of car for new people that don't even have a car yet?

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Jspeed, I do want our sport to go, but on the other hand, I don't. This year for example I drove more off road (truggy) than on road. The off road classes are starting to be noticed. I was watching SpeedZone and they were interviewing (Jammin)Jay Halsey. R/C off road driver, team owner and car designer. It was great to see that we made it on Cable, but the cost starts to rise. The more mainstream we get the better, but on the other hand, the cost of kits go up more. It's kinda damn if you do, damn if you don't..

I would love to regulate a bit this sport if it goes mainstream. Like many of us were saying in our experiences, people who consider themselves "Pro's" and get paid for a hobby run on the border of obsessive and arrogant. That itself is a major turn off for someone that wants to come into our sport.

JetMD, remember you were pitting next to me at Test and tune in March (301). I was beyond pissed because I had problems with three cars. Lucky I was surrounded by great people who helped me get my mind in the right direction. If we go mainstream, we run a major risk of creating a "pro's" only sport. That support that I felt, will not be there for the next guy.

My mission with our hobby is to expose people to what we do. I have taken my 960 to North Carolina on may occasions and done hot laps on country roads. People come out in waves to see this thing come by at warp speed. I take my Revo out and run it in front of my house. Now the neiborhood is flooded with Traxxas products. I go out to midnight drag races and toy with people and ego's. I feel that it is everybodies misson to expose people to our sport/hobby.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Default Growth is good

Here’s my take on a few of these topics.

The Kyosho Inferno GT “Rally” cars offer a lot for our sports mainstream potential. We all can see their cost, durability, fun factor and wow appeal.

We at RC Pro Series thinking of sanctioning of these cars in our On-Road events starting December 1-2 at the new SS Speedway in Tampa Florida.

The main thing that is needed in getting them racing is setting up their classes for success. There needs to be a “Stock” and a “Super Stock” classes. If they’re all bunched together in one class they won’t offer a “cost effective” or “entry level” opportunity for racers.

The whole situation in the hi-cost of Off-Road “Truggy” racing seems to be due to the super durability factor of the cars themselves. There designed to take the serious abuse of “Big Air” jump happy American style tracks. That kind of durability unfortunately costs some big bucks.

Now as far as “going mainstream” and the overall costs of RC equipment rising because of it.

Any product in any vertical market has to recoup the investment in R&D to develop the product. A perfect example is the “Plasma TV” market. Plasma monitors first arrived in the USA market a decade ago.

I believe the Mitsubishi “Leonardo 42” unit was the first one I saw at a “Las Vegas” tradeshow. Anyway, the original cost was $30K because there were only 3 of them! Now if we “fast forward” to today, you can buy some Plasma units for less than $1K.

If RC manufacturers were getting orders from hobby shops for 30 kits each months instead of what they’re getting now, they’d recoup their costs a lot faster and the prices for everything would go down due to the volume of sales.

Hi-Volume orders = better purchasing pricing.

It’s just good business!
Old 10-07-2007, 04:26 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Mainstream exposure will also allow everyone the affordability. Shops buying more. Kits being purchased. All around it will be an endeavour that will allow our sport to survive, right now we have managed to bring our sport in good fashion to people. Most like what they see but can not afford the cost. I often lie straight to a persons face and tell them that they can get in for far less, the lie is told because I never ever ever tell them what my car actually cost I just tell them it is a bit more than purchasing a ready to run. The reason I do this is so not to discourage a new enthusiastic potential racer. When you see the enthusiasm on a sons face when asking his father about getting one of the cars and the father also has the same if not more enthusiasm than that of the children. BY telling them the cars cost only kills, dampens, and demotes the drive to actually find out any more about the sport. So it is our responsibility to be kind and courteous to the new to allow ourselves the potential of a future which we all so desperately need to make the endeavours and all the efforts of those that fought to get us to where we are today. If not for the new there will be no future ! So in all actuality mainstream is the key to basic survival instincts that we must instill in ourselves and every new comer and enthusiast.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #29
Tech Master

...or how about these from dare i say it France....... http://www.brx4racingteam.com/brx4_red_ball.html looks like a good starter 1/8 car......................looks like a little adjustability up front caster,camber, toe..........also single speed w/ no centax.....adjustable, but not to the point it drives newbies away.......could use milder .21 like an OS .21 VG that even runs a standard plug......no turbo plugs........ http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMUM3&P=SM 149.00 out the door..
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Do you think the manufacturers do enough to promote racing???
With the cost of real estate it is getting harder for Hobbyshops and tracks to survive...What can Big Hobby do besides manufacture the vehicles and parts???
Bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote