R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2007, 03:26 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
Loveless's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Concrete vietnam
Posts: 453
Default PERFECT BODY CUT OUT..

Does anyone have an idea on how to make the perfect cut out for the top of your body on 1/8th scale, a template trick or anything for the mounting holes, fuel cap, roll bar, and filter, all help is appreciated thanks...
__________________
AIRTRONICS/KEVLAR R.D./MUGEN FUEL/PARMA, CENTRAL BODIES/MUGEN SEIKI/PICCO ENGINES/JP ENGINES/ BELTRANS WHEELS AND HOBBIES, KAMIKAZI RACING.

"Free your mind, and your ass will follow"...
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 304
Default

You can use a template from an old body (as long as it the same body), by simply cutting the old bodies sides off where the top meets the side (the lip).

I've gone around this a few different times, and I still find the best way is to take the motor out of the car and mount the body while it's clear. With the motor out, you can set the body on top of the body posts and move from side to side to get the correct side clearance (body to tires) and then the amount of overhang of the body to the front bumper (can play into handling).

Once you've cut the post holes for mounting the body, reinstall the motor and roll bar, and start small then slowly enlarge the holes for the motor/carb and roll bar to fit through the body.
Darint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Tech Addict
 
trickd122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 509
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveless View Post
Does anyone have an idea on how to make the perfect cut out for the top of your body on 1/8th scale, a template trick or anything for the mounting holes, fuel cap, roll bar, and filter, all help is appreciated thanks...
I agree a template from an old body does the trick. Now if you attend BIG! races like winternats etc. you will find that the some of the TOP drivers will either give or simply throw away the slightly tranished bodies. Nothing wrong with taking one of those and make a template! Sweet
trickd122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
Tech Regular
 
Loveless's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Concrete vietnam
Posts: 453
Default Cut outs

I have a lot of different body styles ranging from frizbee, central, R11, Kawahara, shadow. can i use this technique on all of these as well?.
__________________
AIRTRONICS/KEVLAR R.D./MUGEN FUEL/PARMA, CENTRAL BODIES/MUGEN SEIKI/PICCO ENGINES/JP ENGINES/ BELTRANS WHEELS AND HOBBIES, KAMIKAZI RACING.

"Free your mind, and your ass will follow"...
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
Bob Malphurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Monroe, GA USA
Posts: 1,157
Default

If I don't have a template from the same design body (Lola) and I need to lay out the cut-outs. Before I paint and the body is clear I set the car on a flat surface with the tires, body mounts and motor (minus the heat sink and filter) on and the roll bar off. I then line up the body where the tires work best and mark them, then mark the boy mounts, antenna, roll bar and fuel openings. For the motor I set the heat sink on top of the body lining it up with the motor and mark it and the filter and high end needle as well.
Bob Malphurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
Tech Master
 
sohlman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Outside NYC
Posts: 1,739
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

The only problem with using an old body for a template is that it has usually been hit or damaged...hence "old body." Some of the body holes may have shifted slightly.

There is an expensive way of doing it: Use a new clear body as a template. That way you can mount it perfectly and even write comments on the body for readjusting the holes for future handling effects. Cut the sides off and only use it for cutting new bodies out. When you have a lot of bodies, this gets real expensive though.
__________________
Steve Sohl
sohlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darint View Post
You can use a template from an old body (as long as it the same body), by simply cutting the old bodies sides off where the top meets the side (the lip).

I've gone around this a few different times, and I still find the best way is to take the motor out of the car and mount the body while it's clear. With the motor out, you can set the body on top of the body posts and move from side to side to get the correct side clearance (body to tires) and then the amount of overhang of the body to the front bumper (can play into handling).

Once you've cut the post holes for mounting the body, reinstall the motor and roll bar, and start small then slowly enlarge the holes for the motor/carb and roll bar to fit through the body.
I agree with this post.
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Tech Regular
 
P2gee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs View Post
If I don't have a template from the same design body (Lola) and I need to lay out the cut-outs. Before I paint and the body is clear I set the car on a flat surface with the tires, body mounts and motor (minus the heat sink and filter) on and the roll bar off. I then line up the body where the tires work best and mark them, then mark the boy mounts, antenna, roll bar and fuel openings. For the motor I set the heat sink on top of the body lining it up with the motor and mark it and the filter and high end needle as well.
I think I like this post the best.......gonna try it!!
__________________
Airtronics M-12
BYRONS Gen2 fuel
Capricorn C802
www.motorists.org
P2gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #9
Tech Addict
 
kcrunchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: WWW.MAXAMPS.COM
Posts: 527
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Take a sheet of lexan and make the cut out template to have for future use. When I went away once I remember a guy making templates and he had several in his case all labeled. he made 3 from one small sheet of lexan.
__________________
Rick Hill

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #10
Tech Regular
 
Loveless's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Concrete vietnam
Posts: 453
Default Lexan thickness

Yo crunchone, i was thinking the same thing, soundslike a good idea, do you know what thickness lexan he used?.
__________________
AIRTRONICS/KEVLAR R.D./MUGEN FUEL/PARMA, CENTRAL BODIES/MUGEN SEIKI/PICCO ENGINES/JP ENGINES/ BELTRANS WHEELS AND HOBBIES, KAMIKAZI RACING.

"Free your mind, and your ass will follow"...
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
Tech Regular
 
Loveless's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Concrete vietnam
Posts: 453
Default lexan thickness

Sorry bro, Krunchone..
__________________
AIRTRONICS/KEVLAR R.D./MUGEN FUEL/PARMA, CENTRAL BODIES/MUGEN SEIKI/PICCO ENGINES/JP ENGINES/ BELTRANS WHEELS AND HOBBIES, KAMIKAZI RACING.

"Free your mind, and your ass will follow"...
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
Tech Addict
 
kcrunchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: WWW.MAXAMPS.COM
Posts: 527
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveless View Post
Yo crunchone, i was thinking the same thing, soundslike a good idea, do you know what thickness lexan he used?.

It was an average density of lexan, noting special and all he did was pull the bag out with the name of the body and place it on the body trace it out and it was perfect when completed.
__________________
Rick Hill

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #13
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Also use a circle cutter for round cuts such as the wheel well.
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:14 AM   #14
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 304
Default

I use an old can of Pactra spray paint with sandpaper wrapped around it for the wheel wells and the hole for the motors heatsink and the INS box...

That can seems to be the perfect size and the holes are perfectly round and smooth
Darint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #15
Tech Regular
 
Loveless's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Concrete vietnam
Posts: 453
Default Cut outs

These sounds like some good ideas.
__________________
AIRTRONICS/KEVLAR R.D./MUGEN FUEL/PARMA, CENTRAL BODIES/MUGEN SEIKI/PICCO ENGINES/JP ENGINES/ BELTRANS WHEELS AND HOBBIES, KAMIKAZI RACING.

"Free your mind, and your ass will follow"...
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: RTR TC4 (Perfect Trans Am Car!) peded R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 07-11-2008 10:20 PM
LRP 7.1 ESC - Perfect Condition ! raydog R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 15 12-02-2007 04:52 PM
Are you perfect? Os_powerd_jato Web Links 2 07-08-2007 08:25 AM
Perfect Shocks centax error! Electric On-Road 2 05-19-2005 02:41 AM
How to get a perfect cut on a body? TRF-Powered Electric On-Road 25 10-26-2001 01:44 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:35 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net