R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   MTX-4R - best engine (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/183805-mtx-4r-best-engine.html)

jj_spike 09-30-2007 06:39 PM

MTX-4R - best engine

Hey all,

I know the "best engine" topic has come up many times. Perhaps I should re-phrase this question. What engine provides the highest output and can be considered competition legal (.12, 3-port)? I would also consider a 5-port for bashing.

I was unable to find HP specs on the Ninja series so I am not quite sure how they would compare. I was seriously considering the OS 12TZ EB Mods engine (3 and 5 port). The 5-port provides about 2HP which sounds quite impressive. Another nice thing is that parts are available quickly in Canada.

I am not quite sure which engine to purchase at this point. Anyone from the Toronto area that has had parts issues, please chime in.

Cheers!!

JJ

JLock 09-30-2007 07:00 PM

There really is no "best engine" choice for the MTX-4R. Just review all the mills available for 200mm cars and pick the one you think would be the best.

spenzalii 09-30-2007 10:56 PM

If you ask 10 people the same question you're probably going to get 15 different answers, as various threads on this board will tell you. I've learned 2 things for sure to answer this question. First: no matter how fast your engine is, if your setup isn't right (car, clutch and exhaust) and you can't drive, you're going to be slow. Second, no matter what engine you buy, there is ALWAYS going to be someone fatser than you. It's just how it is.

That said, it's very hard to go wrong with any of the current engines out there, be it Nova based (353 or +12 something), Ninja, OS TZ, Picco (Jl Red Dot), Sirio, or even the Orion CRF. Each has it's pros and cons, each has their supporters and each, tuned correctly, will last for a while and be stupid fast.

wallyedmonds 10-01-2007 03:07 PM

Derry at galaxy hobby's has some novarossi's and he can get parts for them
he can also get ninjas and parts for those too

Jams mak at ZZ hobby i think can get what ever you want and parts too

Galaxy 905 848-3368
ZZ hobby 905 763-0007

hope this helps you and who are you,do you go to fastcats at all. :)

jj_spike 10-02-2007 07:40 PM

Thanks for all of your input. I figured this would be the general response. All of the top 5 are good for their own reasons however tuning and comfort level seems to be the key factor.

Wally, I called ZZ Hobby and the guy that I spoke to really knew his stuff. It is great when the LHS folks actually race the gear that they sell. This fellow (James??) recommended the Max Power engines. I may just pick one of these up. BTW, I am not anyone you would know or may have seen before. I got into R/C about 7 years ago for about 2 years. Did a couple of ad-hoc parking lot events and then dropped out due to new house/work. My kids are now really interested and I am getting them into it.

Cheers!