Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Tech Champion

x1,000...

Keep it cheap and simple. Buggy and truggy racing are a turn-off as it is with all the pressure to buy the biggest and baddest and newest.. This is a hobby.. And I agree totally, the whole appeal- or at least easily the overwhelming majority of it - of GT is the simplicity and low-budget of it.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Until someone makes a new model and starts winning with it

It has always been like that, right

Here's a clip of my mods to the belt car. So far it's been a on par with the fastest shaft driven GT's, nothing superior there. It's a heck of a fast machine, but finding a good setup for a larger track layout has been difficult (in the amounts I have time to drive, once a week maximum, usually only few times per month).

On parking lots this is much faster than my shaft drive (IGT2)

I do hope to get "on spot" during the summer, I believe the latest changes will get me closer.
It felt better last time we had session on parking lot, the drift effect was very limited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeaSOUQT4hU
Old 07-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

put foam tires on that car and run that car 1:8 onroad, not GT

My $.02, pusher clutches and belt cars should have no place in GT class. I have yet to hear one good reason for this...and going faster is not a good reason. MikaR even says, "On parking lots this is much faster than my shaft drive (IGT2)".

MikeR, I have no beef with you, or anyone building cars like this...it's the people that feel this is the direction the GT should head. This industry does not seem to learn from it's mistakes. Too many classes start out inexpensive and easy, then evolve to an elite level to the point of becoming exclusive...not INCLUSIVE.

If you like GT, and want to go faster, why not step up to an existing class - get a 1:10 touring car or a 1:8 onroad?

Advancements that would grow and evolve this class should support whats made this class work from it's inception. Things like reasonable cost of entry, simplicity to built & tune, driveability. How is this direction a step in the right direction?

Last edited by TC_Tuner; 07-23-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

The shaft drive is exactly why I got into GT8 and not other forms of on-road.

The bodies too.

Realism goes a long way with me.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:19 AM
Tech Master

I've been into 1:10 touring and 1:8 cannot be run on parking lots.
I don't like playing with foams, that's one thing, and 10th scale 're a bit too small for me, just like for you too, right.

These GT's are great and if you want to like to switch from a shaft to a belt, that's possible, too. Italians have nice models for that. Not for the spec class, but for fun or open, if you like. No wonder they are so popular in southern europe.

After running IGT several years, still have one for the spec (yes, our spec class is shaft only), it's been a real experience to try this one. Like I said, I'm no faster on larger layouts yet and the competition is even. Versatility is good. And I like them both.

After all, this is not so different from DM1 for example, with close to zero caster and pillow ball suspension. One can run a regular buggy clutch like I do for running in my motors. Centax is not a necessity. The only diff are really the belts that are inexpensive from local hardware store (German Optibelt like < 10USD) and they last very long time for this car.

Same 325mm wb bodies, tires, electrics and motors. For the gears I'm using Kyosho parts.
I have a gear diff at rear, ball diff in front that is very robust and does not need maintenance at all basically.

The only advance I may be getting is the placing of the components of for weight distribution and balance, but I think in the end of the day it's just the driver that matters most. Just something to think about if you feel you have seen it in the spec class and still want to run these nice, big cars and don't want to make the move to gasoline like many seem to do after running nitro GT (spec).
Old 07-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Tech Elite

Mika,

No need to explain yourself on your new BMT chassis really.

You’ve done plenty to build the GT Spec class in your country for years and have helped many GT racers around the world too. Its nice that you're pushing the Open class envelope to new levels.

Someday they’ll be a class for the 2-speed belt drive GT cars and you’ll be remembered as its pioneer, because thinking “outside the box” is how GT racing was born.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the rest of us racers.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Thanks Jeff, no problem.

We had a club race day today. It was very tuff, no one wasn't getting it easy. I set my record lap and was fastest on the day (for a lap). However, I'm still having issues with consistency, longer IGT2 chassis cars are more stable with better drivelines overal.

I would have fighted for the win in the final but I had two flameouts, one on the pits and one after refueling. I found out later that my transmitter throttle trim had gone -40%, maybe that caused it (perhaps the slight brake drag was causing it on neutral).

But like said it was very tuff and I had many mechanical issues. Luckily I was able to fix them for the final. But I wasn't the only one. Racing GT on large track layouts puts a huge stress on the car.

I try to get the things solved regrading consistency to be able to fight for the win but right now I'm exhausted and the car is a lot worn, so it may take a while I have no plans for any bigger changes on the car, I try to run it as is as long as I can with small adjustments, bigger fixes/changes/plans will be done off season (whatever they are, not sure yet)

Last edited by MikaR; 07-24-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Someday they’ll be a class for the 2-speed belt drive GT cars ......
That's the only thing that makes sense, two classes, belt and shaft drive.

I'd personally like to see a 2wd belt or gear drive class option also, Nitro or Electric. That would make for a nice simple lower cost car.

Keeping the original spirit of the GT class is important, but there should be room for innovation which may lead to a higher spec class.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

Fresh from painter, ready for race in 2 weeks

Old 07-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nitrodash
I like keeping it cheap most of the time but sometimes the higher end products that perform better and allow your GT to handles and perform at its full potential requires you to speed some money. I noticed that people that go the cheapest route possible end up buying those same cheap products over and over because they lack quality and durability that most of the time in this hobby you have to pay for. Bottom line you get what you pay for so cheap is not always best way
in my opinion all plastic stock parts accept the upper suspention holder max v alum. because of the heat factor and contact with the header. no carbon fiber of any kind any where no alum. other than that one part any factory gears front shocks must be stock lay downs type stuff. that makes it pritty cut and dried i think.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmoneym
Fresh from painter, ready for race in 2 weeks

Awesome paint. You should match it up with some black sweeps!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

how are the f430 bodys compared to the blackhawk
Old 07-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danny250r
how are the f430 bodys compared to the blackhawk
I can't compare the two because I only ran the 430 and I can honestly say not only is it the best looking(In my opinion), but handles really well. It's not pushy at all.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gashuffer
I can't compare the two.
Exactly, lol

Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Awesome paint. You should match it up with some black sweeps!
Thanks I Do plan on getting some sweeps at Floyd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.