Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
GT class--buggy-based on road! >

GT class--buggy-based on road!

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Just got back in from testing my newly converted electric GT. It started out as an Inferno VE RTR buggy. Got a Venom 3S LiPo in it right now with the Team Orion ESC/Motor that came with it. Changed the Rx to one of my old Futaba FM crystal ones. Ran it with a Kyosho Ferrari body. I must say I could go for running some GT-E.
jlock

what did you change to make it a GT?
GT shock tower & shocks?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikaR
Cool JLock.

I just bought another clear Ferrari myself ;-)
Unfortunately, I only had the 12T pinion that came with the kit. I will need to buy a few more pinions to play with. During my run last night on my 3-cell, the speed with the 12T was okay but nothing to write home about. Motor temp was 106F degrees and the ESC was 91F degrees. I heard that you can go as high as a 20T pinion with the Orion system for onroad use but I think I will start with the 15T that you suggested on another forum. Still need to work on the shocks (bought onroad shocks from the GT1). I have a clear Ferrari body that I will paint up for it (want to preserve the original RTR Ferrari body).
Old 05-10-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mosaics12
jlock

what did you change to make it a GT?
GT shock tower & shocks?
Yes, I changed the shock towers and bought a set of GT1 shocks to use on it. You will also need all the body post stuff and front bumper stuff to complete it. The only issue you will have is that the hinge pins for the upper arms are a little short and don't pass all te way through the onroad shock tower. I have some that were longer and had to space them up. If you can find some hinge pins about 42-43mm long, that will solve the issue.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yes, I changed the shock towers and bought a set of GT1 shocks to use on it. You will also need all the body post stuff and front bumper stuff to complete it. The only issue you will have is that the hinge pins for the upper arms are a little short and don't pass all te way through the onroad shock tower. I have some that were longer and had to space them up. If you can find some hinge pins about 42-43mm long, that will solve the issue.
cool thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clete Landefeld
I set my car up and just drove it up and down the street... just a quick shake down... I noticed the brakes burned a little and got pretty stinky... is this normal?... should I take to the track and run them to break them in?
The brakes on the DM 1 are marginal just like the GT. Ofna makes upgraded versions.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

Unfortunately, I only had the 12T pinion that came with the kit. I will need to buy a few more pinions to play with. During my run last night on my 3-cell, the speed with the 12T was okay but nothing to write home about. Motor temp was 106F degrees and the ESC was 91F degrees. I heard that you can go as high as a 20T pinion with the Orion system for onroad use but I think I will start with the 15T that you suggested on another forum. Still need to work on the shocks (bought onroad shocks from the GT1). I have a clear Ferrari body that I will paint up for it (want to preserve the original RTR Ferrari body).
My car rips with a 4S battery and a 2650 KV motor. I found the limit of my cheap batteries pretty quick and will have to go down at least 2 teeth on the pinnion gear.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by *1speedy
little birdie told me that your "wide" tires and non realistic looking body will not be legal in the up coming rules. LMAO

ready
We run wide tires on 10th and 8th scale it doesn't make sense that wide tires on gt won't be allowed. Seems like you would be happy if this is true in the future. Why??? I haven't tried the tires yet but makes complete sense that they will make our gts handle better.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

double post sorry...
Old 05-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Tech Addict

Default Brakes and advice..

Thanks William...
I did in fact, order a set of upgrades.... we have our first race this weekend..
All of us will be on stock tires..... But we are going to have a pile of fun... dont be shy with advice... we are trying to grow the class ... so the better the "Show" the more people.....
Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Clete, good luck with the class. That's the way you do it. Nice job.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Addict

Default Salt Lake

Spooky,

I am originaly from salt lake and raced offroad at intermountain RC... Would you happen to know Paul Hatfield... He is a old race buddy of mine.
If you guys are interested in a fantastic weekend of racing.. let me know know.. I spoke to Mark Day at TimeZone and he would love to host a GT class for the TZ GP weekend... http://www.timezoneracing.com/
See the link for the track and let me kow if you would like to come... we would love to be your host for that weekend....

that goes for any other GT racers that would like to come!... A laid back weekend with food, and new freinds in a park like setting! See the thread in Nitro Onroad...
Old 05-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Gonzo, don't sweat it, not gonna happen.

Clete, great track too.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by *1speedy
Here is the part # for the Clear body KYOIGB053

Painted body is part # KYOIGB004

Sorry I do not know anyone that has 1 in stock but they do come up on ebay from time to time.

Good Luck
GT1 Aston Martin Bodies have been discontinued. Kyosho America have none in stock and they are gone for good.

Aston Martin GT2 bodies were also killed off along with the Audi bodies. The painted Audi is still available until they sell out, but the clear are gone for good.

I have 1 painted GT2 Aston Martin left. Kyosho America has no more GT2 Aston Martin bodies and they are gone for good.

The only GT2 kits and bodies they will be offering are the Corvette and McLaren, those are the only bodies that were approved for licensing extensions.

Last edited by WildBillMassey; 05-10-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: had my GT1's and GT2's mixed up :)
Old 05-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

As most of you know, The GT class for the Texas Biggie is sponsored by IGT Hobbies, and with the recent confusion on class rules, myself and Bob Ingersoll have came up with a simple set of rules, since this is a "True Open" class, but still room for some basic rules. They are posted below.

Next year we hope to offer 2 classes, a "Spec" class and a "True Open" class, and the "Spec" class will be based on the rules that Juan (JLock) developed a few years back.

A "True Open" class allows current 1/8 GT owners and new racers the ability to "run what the brung" without having to buy new equipment. We just want to build up the racer base first, then we can split to a "Spec" class.

Thanks to all IGT Hobbies, Texas Biggie, and SWCS supporters, and we hope to see you at the race!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2011 Texas Biggie GT8 Rules.pdf (38.4 KB, 185 views)
Old 05-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Good set of simple rules for 2011 SWCS GT8 class. If I may insert one..... Have fun and smile!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.