Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Would love to race under rain conditions Jeff, scale to the max !!,

Ok anyway here is a pic of my 1/8th Buggy using that elbow, just in case anyone is interested, as for GT cars is a very good option even because the air filter (if you use offroad type) ends very very clean after each car usage :

cya guys !!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Patricio,

Racing in wet conditions can be fun at moments, but overall it kind of really sucks.

The only reason we avocate it with GT cars is because they can pretty much handle it ok, if the cars are prepped for it and the fact that calling a race on qualifiers really sucks more than anything; especially during big races where most have travelled long distances just to attend.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Is there any interchangeability between either the Kyosho or the Ofna clutch bells used on the GT cars in regards to pinion gears? For instance, can you put a K car 2nd gear on an Ofna clutch bell (in the second gear position, of course). How about the same question in regards pinions used in the 1/8th 4wd cars, like Mugen, Shepard, Capricorn, etc? Can any of those pinions from their conical clutches be used with either Ofna or K car GT bells? I'm just trying to understand what my options are for gearing - I can manage the spur side of things. Thanks! I know nothing about these onroad cars, especially the 4wd variety. Well, I know they are pretty damn fast...
Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Gary!!, how have u been buddy?? hey i have to stop by your house for some goodies, i ran outta those AWESOME carb o-rings<MOTOR SAVERS!!!>/...pm me when i can stop by, good to see you buds
Old 04-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Gary NJ
Is there any interchangeability between either the Kyosho or the Ofna clutch bells used on the GT cars in regards to pinion gears? For instance, can you put a K car 2nd gear on an Ofna clutch bell (in the second gear position, of course). How about the same question in regards pinions used in the 1/8th 4wd cars, like Mugen, Shepard, Capricorn, etc? Can any of those pinions from their conical clutches be used with either Ofna or K car GT bells? I'm just trying to understand what my options are for gearing - I can manage the spur side of things. Thanks! I know nothing about these onroad cars, especially the 4wd variety. Well, I know they are pretty damn fast...
You definitely don't want the Ofna clutch-ball IMO, cuz it uses those stupid tiny front CB bearings.. I would be keen to know what else I can use on my Ofna car.. Worrying about the front CB bearings going - even with the 3-bearing mod - and possibly taking the 2-speed with it, is something I would like to minimize..
Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
You definitely don't want the Ofna clutch-ball IMO, cuz it uses those stupid tiny front CB bearings.. I would be keen to know what else I can use on my Ofna car.. Worrying about the front CB bearings going - even with the 3-bearing mod - and possibly taking the 2-speed with it, is something I would like to minimize..

Mhhhh in my country GT class is not big, but 95% of the cars are OFNAS and NO ONE EVER had been in trouble with the ofna clutch bell, we use .21 and .28 engines, usually x3 on small bearings (nothing special, normal rubber-rubber ones) and thats all ... would like to know why you are having so much trouble on that area man ...

cya !
Old 04-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Well on my first one I had two bearings and some shims, and it let go and took my 2-speed with it, which annoyed the crap out of me because of NO local parts support.. I now have a second one that frankly had a shoddy shape to it up front out of the box(not a perfect circle, but like there was a crease and part of the crease was ever so slightly dog-eared..)

I have about 10 tanks or so on this CB - and brand-new 2-speed from a 2nd kit I happened to have picked up on ebay - with the 3-bearing mod thing, and so far so good.. But I can't afford to lose whole CB's(I lost my whole first CB cuz I had to hammer the remains of the bearings out, and in the process I'm pretty sure I ruined the inside of the front part of the bell) and 2-speeds because of some stupid little bearings.. I love the DM-1 - it's a fun car. But I wish I felt as sure about the CB not letting go and destroying the tranny as I do for ex. in a buggy or truggy... I mean, WHY those little bearings and not normal ones?

If the 3-bearing mod thing holds up great.. But it's still annoying that I have to feel the urge to take the engine out and check the bearings every 4-5 tanks for fear of what, given the no-local-parts-support..., would be a royal PIA - and an expensive one, to order new 2-speed parts and CB's from a different continent all the time...

Once burned, twice shy I guess...
Old 04-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I had the same issue with front ofna clutch bell bearings go out too frequently so I went ahead and use a Kyosho clutch bell (part#VS058) with Kyosho Evolva pinion gears. All I have to do is to put enough spacers between 1st and 2nd pinion gears to ensure good mesh between Ofna spur gears and Kyosho pinion gears. I've been racing VERY HARD with this setup and have ZERO problem. Give it a try and you'll love it.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bassman2
I had the same issue with front ofna clutch bell bearings go out too frequently so I went ahead and use a Kyosho clutch bell (part#VS058) with Kyosho Evolva pinion gears. All I have to do is to put enough spacers between 1st and 2nd pinion gears to ensure good mesh between Ofna spur gears and Kyosho pinion gears. I've been racing VERY HARD with this setup and have ZERO problem. Give it a try and you'll love it.
We did the same thing for the same reasons when we ran the Ofna. In fact, we used the same clutch bell on our Serpent GT at the Nats. Big bearings are a must for reliability.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snrscion
Yeah how have you been? Thanks man.
Doing great! Getting ready for outdoor season. I'm in Jersey. Tell Verano that Jersey is in Jersey He'll get it!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Well on my first one I had two bearings and some shims, and it let go and took my 2-speed with it, which annoyed the crap out of me because of NO local parts support.. I now have a second one that frankly had a shoddy shape to it up front out of the box(not a perfect circle, but like there was a crease and part of the crease was ever so slightly dog-eared..)

I have about 10 tanks or so on this CB - and brand-new 2-speed from a 2nd kit I happened to have picked up on ebay - with the 3-bearing mod thing, and so far so good.. But I can't afford to lose whole CB's(I lost my whole first CB cuz I had to hammer the remains of the bearings out, and in the process I'm pretty sure I ruined the inside of the front part of the bell) and 2-speeds because of some stupid little bearings.. I love the DM-1 - it's a fun car. But I wish I felt as sure about the CB not letting go and destroying the tranny as I do for ex. in a buggy or truggy... I mean, WHY those little bearings and not normal ones?

If the 3-bearing mod thing holds up great.. But it's still annoying that I have to feel the urge to take the engine out and check the bearings every 4-5 tanks for fear of what, given the no-local-parts-support..., would be a royal PIA - and an expensive one, to order new 2-speed parts and CB's from a different continent all the time...

Once burned, twice shy I guess...
I run 3 bearings in the OFNA bell for three years now. Never a issue.45min mains whatever. Just have to stay on top of them.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

I can't believe your not having bearing problems. Everyone here with the DM has changed the clutchbell for the same bearing problem. I know I did.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Tech Champion

Can somebody post a link with exactly what parts I need to run a Kyosho CB or whatever? Thanks..
Old 04-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Can somebody post a link with exactly what parts I need to run a Kyosho CB or whatever? Thanks..

Clutch bell
http://winnerscirclerc.com/advanced_...fb65f&x=7&y=14

1st gear Pinion
http://winnerscirclerc.com/product_i...oducts_id=3815

2nd gear pinion
http://winnerscirclerc.com/product_i...oducts_id=3818
Old 04-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks! And these parts fit right in, no hassle or mods? Bassman2, what spacers are you talking about exactly? Do you have to shim the outside of the CB or something?

I think I would prefer to stick with stock gearing - 16/20... Can even imagine going up to 17/21.. The straight at the local track is REALLY long....

EDIT - ps, damn, the Kyosho parts are a lot cheaper too....

Last edited by Herrsavage; 04-22-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.