Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JLock
I do have one thing to add that will eventually need addressing: OS Engines is replacing the OS 21VG with the OS 25XZ. At my LHS, the distributor already shows it to be discontinued. So, will the engine rules reflect the change in powerplants or will the newer engines be added as the older ones are phased out (like my Sportwerks M26 which was discontinued 1.5 years ago)?

Great Planes has in stock now .21VG(P) w/New 21F Carb

the 25xz is a new motor
Old 03-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vbabani
Great Planes has in stock now .21VG(P) w/New 21F Carb

the 25xz is a new motor
Okay, I will check into again when I stop by my LHS in an hour. When they pulled it up on the computer, Great Pains (oops, I mean Planes) showed it as discontinued on the dealer page.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

here is the info
Attached Thumbnails GT class--buggy-based on road!-gp_os_21vg.jpg  
Old 03-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

Well I'm not an engine expert but I do know an onroad engine from an offroad engine as long as people don't change anything from the engine. For example I saw people using VSPEC heads on VGs at the race. This was done to help in cooling the engine but we are going to need a rule that allows the race organizer to pull the head of the engine to check if its the legal engine. This in my opinion should be done with the first three top qualifiers in the spec class. Also the back plate can be removed. I agree that a few rules will help but too many will drive people off the class.

I also agree on:
  1. stipulating a minimum weight limit
  2. only rubber tires can be used
  3. bodies should resemble actual cars (no can-am type or prototypes)
  4. The engine head must be inside the body
  5. All bodies must be available comercialy
  6. Engines must be "off road" engines
Old 03-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Its great to see that so many had a great time at the Ipanema Sports 2010 GT World Championships.

Reading the few pages that I've missed since my last log-in I can see some "crazy talk" about limiting weight & engine ports.

Here are my feelings about limiting weight:

Right now there are only 2 "players" in RTR GT cars in North America. That's all fine and dandy, but there are several other chassis that could be converted very easy to GT. (If the manufacturers cared to enter our arena)

So with that said, what do we have?

A. We have the Kyosho IGT1 & 2, C-Hub suspension, "Kick-Up" BUGGY type chassis and lite-weight design. Huge followiinig and support network.

B. The Ofna DM1, DM1S (Spec). Pillow Ball ssupension, flat chassis and substancially heaver weight. (I haven't mentioned the GTP1 & GTP2 chassis because it seems that they're not showing up at many races, but they would be welcome too)

The big weight debate is starting. It seems that since Paul was able to run pretty darn quick with a IGT2 chassis with the Force RTR engine I'm hearing talk of forcing weight to be added to the chassis that started it all.

I personally don't think it's fair to ask any racer to add 1 or 2 pounds to an IGT car just because the DM1 car was designed by someone that wasn't thinking about weight reduction in the planning stages and R&D.

I'm 100% positive that every IGT owner/racer will agree with me that we're not going to add any weight to our lite-weight cars, because of 1 heavy-weight design.... right guys?

Here in Florida we all used to race the IGT1 and we all had a lot of fun racing the same car (we had "Spec" rules very close to what Victor in Mexico has too)

Then the DM1S appeared at the track. It seemed fair enough to let the car enjoy the fun we were having.

The only problem was that it came from the factory with a much more powerful RTR engine. So much more powerful, that it was hard to beat using the Kyosho factory GXR engine.

A few of us decided to put Force engines into our IGT cars The end result is the potential to have a fast "Spec" car. I even tried the Force in an IGT and it was a quick combo. (Just like Paul Roberts, our current 2010 Ipanema Sports GT Spec Class World Champion).

The GXR is a 3 port with mild timing, while the Force is a 5 port with a more agressive profile. Stock vs. stock the two are unmatched. This is the reason why I made the spec class rules the way they are.

If the 2 manufactures would have "sat down at the table" like I wanted them to 4 years ago, we wouldn't have any of this on this thread today. But since I get tired of calling the same guy 50 times in a week, I just did it my way. And my way is proven to work.

I don't care if anybody comes on this thread and brags about being in the RC industry for 750 years, they don't know SQUAT about SQUAT, because their 750 years of experence hasn't done nothing to bring our SPORT to the mainstream's attention the way as our GT racing programs have.

Sorry for the "straight-talk" after such a great racing experence we all had at our event, but I can see the Vultures circling our GT classes. They're trying to "get a piece of the action" because they're hungry. They've sucked the life out of their classes and will try to do the same with ours if we don't watch eachother's backs.

Everyone is welcome to race in GT, but our international GT army will not let anyone screw up the great racing classes we have all worked so hard to grow without them.

Lets keep together GT goodfellas!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Pictures from Pista Kyosho in Mexico. 2011 WGTC host perhaps?

I had the great oportunity to compete at the 2010 Bicentenial National race for nitro touring cars at this track on February and I tought I would share some images of the track. Now, I've seen pics on their websites infernogt.net dondecorrer.com.mx but being there was a mind blowing experience.

The view is awesome, the track is at 3025m above see level something to keep in mind

Driver's stand has plenty of room

The straightway

Check out the first turn after the straight

Old 03-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Where is this track?
Old 03-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jrice
Where is this track?
It's located in the outskirts of Mexico City. You can do a google map search it comes up, you can even see the track.

Search (Kyosho Ajusco Mexico)
Old 03-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm moving to Mexico!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

That track looks sweet, it must be different to have banked corners.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mcsquish
That track looks sweet, it must be different to have banked corners.
It's actually very cool!!! you can take the turns at higher speed
Old 03-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just getting into this class from sedan and not very smart on the different engines out there for these cars, I would like to see some type of engine rules. What they are and how to police them I don't know. I do know though that from some of the races I have been to, having tech do a tear-down during the qualifiers is not the most fun....and no it wasn't my engine

The weight debate is a tough one. For now, it may not be needed. But if other companies get their heads out of the sand, it may. I always enjoyed having to add weight to my RRR....

But as I said before I am just getting into this class and very excited to go racing again, which I haven't been for the past couple years racing my RRR.

Jspeed, I feel like I have been racing for 751 years, and I know I know that I know nothing........ Also, I just ordered some of your new tires from Lee and I can't believe that you could make your original Track Star tires better. Is there anything I can expect to notice? I may have to tell the other racers up here to get some.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

Going back to what were talking about weight, nobody here mentioned anything about adding weight to any car, I have no experience what so ever in this class and I didnt even know that the Kyosho were a lot lighter, if so why dont we take the weight of the kyosho as the minimum weight ??
I believe nobody here is trying to take advantage of any kind I do think the class has great potential and its not being optimized since for what I remember a year ago they couldnt keep the class in the florida state series because the few racers didnt showed up for one of the races and the class was cancelled. I believe the GTs can be proposed for the next season to the Forgass commitee at the sour grapes, always that we show them we are well organized and have some kind of rules, I have already 3 experienced racers for this class that are willing to participate in the state series. I will appreciate any possitive input, since I believe everybody here has one goal in common and its to make this class grow leaving behind any personal or commercial interest.

Rino Lino
Old 03-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

NOW THAT'S A NICE TRACK!!!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mcsquish
Is there anything I can expect to notice? I may have to tell the other racers up here to get some.
More traction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.