Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Speyederjedi
Cheers Everyone,

Just thought I'd chime in. I was the pitman for Lou at the GCRC race this last weekend. That 1/8 scale buggy-based onroad class was really fun to watch and be a part of. Unfortunately for Lou we had a flame out on one of his pitstops. I raced 1/10 200mm and my clutched locked up in the main after the spring nut backed all the way out. Put more locktite on it and all is okay now. Guess I should have checked it before I put in that new Capricorn Power Clutch.

Anyway, just thought I'd see what you all thought of this kit coming out from BMT. Looks really trick and has a single speed or 2 speed as indicated in the photos. The rules for the Rally Game class in Europe only allow for a single speed trans. I guess they wanted to also make it attractive for racers state side, hence the 2 speed trans. Let me know what you all think???

http://www.redrc.net/2008/12/bmt-081...-game-chassis/

Regards,
Daniel
AKA: Speyederjedi
I think it deviates from what this GT class should be, which should stay as any buggy based car, with shaft drive system and 2 speeed trans....

Those belt driven rally game italian cars are very expensive and you might as well get a 1/8th on road car....

I think the GT class neeeds urgently some rules to set the boundaries, maybe
define two classes GTS (sport) 1/8th buggy based shaft driven cars only, with original engine that comes with the RTR models, and or replacememt engines only 3 port .21 buggy engines with MSRP not maiore than $200.00. only rubber tires.

The other class a GTO (open) 1/8th class wich could incorporate any of those fancy belt driven rally game cars, and any engine up to .28 ci, and foam or rubber tires.

just my 2 cents

AFM
Old 12-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Cheers Everyone,

Just thought I'd chime in. I was the pitman for Lou at the GCRC race this last weekend. That 1/8 scale buggy-based onroad class was really fun to watch and be a part of. Unfortunately for Lou we had a flame out on one of his pitstops. I raced 1/10 200mm and my clutched locked up in the main after the spring nut backed all the way out. Put more locktite on it and all is okay now. Guess I should have checked it before I put in that new Capricorn Power Clutch.

Anyway, just thought I'd see what you all thought of this kit coming out from BMT. Looks really trick and has a single speed or 2 speed as indicated in the photos. The rules for the Rally Game class in Europe only allow for a single speed trans. I guess they wanted to also make it attractive for racers state side, hence the 2 speed trans. Let me know what you all think???

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel,
As far as I know there is one person with this car in the US that is actually using and testing the car. Sam from Kamikaze toys & hobbies will have to chime in and give you his opinion and run down of the quality of the car.

I can tell you, more than likely this car will not be allowed to run in the 1/8 GT class. Some 1/8 GT class rule does not allow for belt driven cars. You probably won't have any problems at Gulf Coast RC until someone says something, or the class rules come into play. To me it doesn't matter, I would like to see it run (possibly only in single speed, any motor, and any tires), but I'm not the one making the rules.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Vad,

I had the Technokit SPRY about 4 years ago. That kit was a serious 1/8 Rally Game kit but no one here really raced these so I sold it to a buddy. It was belt drive and handled really well. The only complaint with that kit were the shocks. The ride was just way to stiff. I went to an after market shock for the Traxxas Revo and it made the car handle like it was on rails. It ran circles around the shaft drive cars and it had a single speed trans.

I did find a couple other nice shaft drive kits and a belt drive kit from JS Radio Control. Have a look tell me what you think??? That belt drive kit is insane. It's the only other 1/8 Rally Game kit that's comparable to the Technokit SPRY I used to have. Lots of aluminum and carbon fiber.

http://www.jsradiocontrol.com/index....id=7&Itemid=61

http://www.technokit.it/models_spry.html

Regards,
Daniel
Old 12-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by afm
I think it deviates from what this GT class should be, which should stay as any buggy based car, with shaft drive system and 2 speeed trans....

Those belt driven rally game italian cars are very expensive and you might as well get a 1/8th on road car....

I think the GT class neeeds urgently some rules to set the boundaries, maybe
define two classes GTS (sport) 1/8th buggy based shaft driven cars only, with original engine that comes with the RTR models, and or replacememt engines only 3 port .21 buggy engines with MSRP not maiore than $200.00. only rubber tires.

The other class a GTO (open) 1/8th class wich could incorporate any of those fancy belt driven rally game cars, and any engine up to .28 ci, and foam or rubber tires.

just my 2 cents

AFM
AFM,

I agree 100%. I just thought I'd bring in the belt drive car so some racers could see what they may run into at the track. I use to have the Technokit SPRY 1/8 Rally Game car and it handled way better than my OFNA GTP that Lou ran this past weekend at GCRC. Even though it was a single speed it was just insanely quick and had plenty of top end. I think the class would need to be split between belt and shaft drive to keep it fair but if anyone runs into one of these belt drive rally game cars at their local track be aware, they're pretty darn fast and handle really well.

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Old 12-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vadn1
Daniel,
As far as I know there is one person with this car in the US that is actually using and testing the car. Sam from Kamikaze toys & hobbies will have to chime in and give you his opinion and run down of the quality of the car.

I can tell you, more than likely this car will not be allowed to run in the 1/8 GT class. Some 1/8 GT class rule does not allow for belt driven cars. You probably won't have any problems at Gulf Coast RC until someone says something, or the class rules come into play. To me it doesn't matter, I would like to see it run (possibly only in single speed, any motor, and any tires), but I'm not the one making the rules.

I've seen the BMT run this past weekend. And it is BAD FAST!! There is no way a buggy based GT car can keep up with this thing. This thing is basicly a 1/8 scale open car with bigger tires and a bigger body. He didnt compete with it he just came out to practice and shake it down and it was very impressive to watch. He could have given some of the 1/8 scale open cars a run for their money. If they allow them to run with the GT guys, it looks like we will be racing for 2nd
Old 12-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

SandFan,

You're correct, those belt drive Rally Game cars are BBAADDD!!! but AFM is right. The GT Buggy-Based on road need to be "Buggy-Based" to keep to the class and keep the playing field level. The belt drive cars are obviously not buggy based and would need to be put in a seperate class. It would be cool to see one go up against a 1/8 on road though. I bet it would be a heck of a run.

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Old 12-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Vad,

I had the Technokit SPRY about 4 years ago. That kit was a serious 1/8 Rally Game kit but no one here really raced these so I sold it to a buddy. It was belt drive and handled really well. The only complaint with that kit were the shocks. The ride was just way to stiff. I went to an after market shock for the Traxxas Revo and it made the car handle like it was on rails. It ran circles around the shaft drive cars and it had a single speed trans.

I did find a couple other nice shaft drive kits and a belt drive kit from JS Radio Control. Have a look tell me what you think??? That belt drive kit is insane. It's the only other 1/8 Rally Game kit that's comparable to the Technokit SPRY I used to have. Lots of aluminum and carbon fiber.

http://www.jsradiocontrol.com/index....id=7&Itemid=61

http://www.technokit.it/models_spry.html

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel,
The Blade RX1 and Techno kit are nice cars; however, I personally am not a fan of aluminum arms, that is why the BMT081 has caught my interest. I think if a few of us get these belt cars at Gulf Coast, then I strongly feel some of the 1/8 open drivers might follow. The advantage being speed, better track handling, and lower cost of rubber tire racing. I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but the Ipanema 45s I lent Lou for the 30 minute main had more than 4 hours of run time on them, I don't think any foam tire can last that long, preform that well and still be able to go for another 30+ min race. You see what I mean about lower cost toward tires.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sandfan85
I've seen the BMT run this past weekend. And it is BAD FAST!! There is no way a buggy based GT car can keep up with this thing. This thing is basicly a 1/8 scale open car with bigger tires and a bigger body. He didnt compete with it he just came out to practice and shake it down and it was very impressive to watch. He could have given some of the 1/8 scale open cars a run for their money. If they allow them to run with the GT guys, it looks like we will be racing for 2nd

Sandfan85,
Was that Sam's BMT from Kamikaze T&H? I think he has a 2 speed in the car, unless he changed it recently.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

2009 Roar Rule book is out, No mention of the IGT class. One more year without rules..... woohoo...

http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/..._Rule_Book.pdf
Old 12-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Sandfan85,
Was that Sam's BMT from Kamikaze T&H? I think he has a 2 speed in the car, unless he changed it recently.
Yes, it was. But Paul Coleman was driving it, so I dont if Paul or Sam owns it. Anyways, it did have a two speed in it that was adapted from a Kyosho. Thats what Sam told me.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Shhhhhhhhhh you guys are spilling the beans
Old 12-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Shhhhhhhhhh you guys are spilling the beans

LOL, sorry Sam.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

2009 Roar Rule book is out, No mention of the IGT class. One more year without rules..... woohoo...
That's great.... after almost 2 years since calling several manufacturers about racing these buggy based cars on America's on-road tracks to try & grow the popularity of R/C racing into a more economically mainstream direction; still nothing.

I guess the best way to kill a class, is to make sure it dies

Now I guess we'll start seeing these bad boys showing up at our tracks

Nice ride, but I bet it costs more than a new set of Webers Side-Drafts for my real BMW car

SCCA racing... here I come
Old 12-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Jspeed
Just have to run these new cars in a seperate class. 1/8 GT Open Belt Drive Class.....

BTW, found the carb for you, only on e bay....

Weber 40-DCOE Side Draft Carburetor BMW
Old 12-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Let the killing of buggy based on-road GT begins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.