Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I feel with Spec and Open, I compare it to Shifter Karts and Nascar. There is no in between.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

I don't see any of this as arguing - I think it's a "forum" (literally and figuratively) to share ideas. There are people that have different ideas and it's OK to share them. If you don't agree with it, you can offer your opinion and state the reasons why you think it would be better for the GT world. It's not an argument until you make it one.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by T-Hawk
I feel with Spec and Open, I compare it to Shifter Karts and Nascar. There is no in between.
Funny you should bring that up!!! my son league races Karts bi-weekly and the Karts are identical, if for some reason one of the Karts is faster or slower it is pulled out . This lets the kids driving determine the outcome instead of trying to figure out how to regulate the fast one or speed up the slow one. This is how it is done nationwide, seems to work well!

Old 09-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

is easy ... all rtr can race ... all rtrs could be used, cause it helps the new drivers to come ... if the company dont make an good product ... sorry !!! ... if you dont have an RTR car ... you have an old good 1/8 buggy ... no problem you are welcome ... so you would have to use the engine and pipe combo SPEC like rules are saying ( like MOTO 2 that runs only one type of engine , but different chassis ) ... so all the people can join the race easy ... cause a first time racer will be disappointed to know your rtr car is out and he cant race in a class that claim for the beginers , and he is a beginer , have a rtr car and can,t race in a "PREFERENCIAL FOR BEGINERS RACE" called SPEC make an easy access for this kinda of people cause they are the future of the hobby ...
Old 09-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by spooky 1
We manage to get a number of new racers involved every season with our sportsman class. Having any car that meets open requirements in there doesn't hurt the chances of the rtr guy that shows up. I proved it to them one race when I heard some new guys saying they didn't have the engine or chassis another guy had and they felt out classed. I took their RTR GT2 Kyosho , stock tires and all and ran with all of them and lapped the field in a qualifier. They all realized it was driving experience and not the car. That is what sportsman is about. A place to learn.
We have a great sportsman crew here no doubt. It takes great amounts of patience for some but they all handle it very well. When we get someone new I like to make sure all their gear is operating correctly and give them the info they need to make it through the day. Once they have a grasp on what to do away they go. One big thing we need to focus better on here is having a drivers meeting before we turn loose brand new guys. They don't know not to stop on the track and how to communicate there are problems or even what a problem is. Giving them the info they need right off the start will make things go a lot smoother.

Experience is everything on the track, that's why I'm on the track every chance I get. I have 30 years + to try and make up on Gus.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Cmon guys Serpent/NOVA/Alpha already rules the GT market why not let some other manufactures in the picture?

So if the class were to be cobra/Nova /Alpha it would be ok I am sure right?

This class is not for the advanced racer, not for Paolo, not for Spooky ,not for Tony and not for me!
Serpent GT & Nova engines have both EARNED the opportunity to be on top.

Simple solution just beat them fairly & if the product you are pushing ever wins be happy.
Spec racing always has some of the best racers in the country, look at all the national events with Spec they all HAVE highly skilled racers.

Do I really need to drop big names that run Spec?

If you made rules that were all Serpent and Nova this exact problem would exist no different.
FYI “spec” classes are NOT made for newbie’s Sportsman is.

Originally Posted by desotoracing
A spec class should not have brand requirements. It doesn't matter who's or what brand. Brands should not be in the rules. We need more racers not less. You are excluding people, not opening the door to people. That is bad for GT.
+100%
This statement is in line to include ALL brands including Reds and team C

Originally Posted by tonylunatic

So to promote a Long chassis class, "SPEC" is a No NO? Help me understand..fair for whom?

The motors from Reds come pre lapped from the factory, so they are very easy to break in, to not discourage newbie’s from Nitro all together.
You want to exclude the most common chassis that most everyone in GT has, yet this is helping the growth in GT?

Makes no sense in any sense of the word
Novarossi has a reputation like Goodyear well trusted. Always one of the best and just a fyi Nova sells prerun too.

So you want these new GT racers to have no problem with break in right? Do these engines come with pre tuned sealed needles too?
Come on Nitro engines ALL HAVE PERSONALITIES. Especially those with lower quality control standards.

Not a sales pitch for Nova I use IDM & OS too.

Originally Posted by burgboyz
Is the SPEC class for anyone or designed for beginners?
Spec should be for anyone, looks like Reds/Tonys Spec is for newbie’s.
All in all this is ONLY for tracks that will mandate IGT8F rules.

Originally Posted by TerribleTy
Wow so Team C and Reds will rule spec... What a bold statement, thank you for clarifying your intent.

I'm pretty sure if you went to some of the tire companies they would get something special for a spec tire. Then you throw Serpent and Novarossi under the bus. Are you that mad that one of the big three in on road racing is winning at on road racing? You know how Serpent gets on top? XRay? Mugen? They support their drivers and build a even stronger customer base. They listen to all feedback and make the right changes. They also have the backing by the top drivers in the country that work hand in hand with the best engineers. Serpent has rightfully earned its place on top of GT powered by Novarossi. Like mentioned above if you have a problem with that you have every chance to create your own products and drive against the best.

Don't bs us look under your name at the list of sponsors, ta da! There's your spec class. Bold move gents I'm not impressed.
Hard to get around I agree

Let me make this CRYSTAL CLEAR.. IGT8F "SPEC" is not getting Trashed. It is as posted.

The races and racers will determine it's future.
Could not say it any better.
Races and Racers will determine its future.

Spec racing here in the east coast is welcome for sure but I don’t see any track even trying this formula. I genuinely hope you revamp your rules.

I explained why the Novarossi is not being used and its simply because of the break in. The weight number was put out to be heavier than the open weight and thats it no other reason except to attempt to level the playing field between the IGT DM and TeamC
Anyone can run it but its designed for the beginners/newbies
I wonder who would get a kickback from Novarossi if that engine was used? thats ok though?
You are only allowing your Engine because of the simplicity of the break in process. This is Nitro R/C racing isn’t it? C'MON MAN………..

Same would be said if it was Nova only

Originally Posted by bassman2
Tony, I have to say initially after I saw what you've posted on the IGT8F website regarding the SPEC rules I was concerned. HOWEVER, after I put some serious thoughts behind what you've explained to the rest of us, I DO SEE YOUR VISION!

Now, this might upset some of you guys who might have an issue with the IGT8F's spec rules of running only single manufacturer's engine, pipe, header or tires by excluding other players in the business, please do keep in mind there is Open and Sportsman class in which any manufacturers can offer their best products to this GT8 class, same as before.

Tony, after days of thinking this thing through my own head. I see the vision you lay in front of us.

YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT as a racer.
I see the vision also; I also support Tony as a racer. I DO NOT support the Spec class rules they exclude and contradict what TRUE SPEC R/C RACING IS.
Good news is they can be repaired to include many manufacturers.

Originally Posted by bassman2
Like I said before I am supportive of what the IGT8F is about. The one thing and the only thing that I wish the federation can adjust, is the naming of the "SPEC" class. Instead of calling it just SPEC class, based on the rules as it stands right now, it should really be more specific on naming the "SPEC" class (like "REDS SPEC", or something like that) to minimize confusion for the newbies.

If someone who decided to buy a long chassis RTR then this person will need to buy a new REDs motor, a new REDs pipe, a new REDs header...etc., I hope you are getting my point. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with what you are doing but just name the SPEC class more appropriately and thats all.

Again thank you Tony for making the effort along with others (lots of names in my mind) to make this GT8 class a better class.
Reds/C GT8 long. Makes sense

Originally Posted by T-Hawk
I Think of the Spec class as Tonys class, he came up with all the rules, put the leg work into contacting all the manufactures. He has made a class that can be teched in 30 seconds. WE DON'T HAVE TO RUN THIS CLASS!!!!
I know us in the NW will not be running Tonys Spec class but we will run SPORTSMAN. Quit the bickering and let's make the rules For the IGT8F Sportsman Class!!!

Ryan
Rules time frame was one issue concern, so here it is.
Submission for IGT8F "SPORTSMAN" Class Rules deadline is October 1st 2013.
Every Racer has a voice and opinion, it's your RIGHT as a supporter of the RC industry.
Sportsman is for the new racer not Spec, many suggestions have been made. Keep it simple is the key.

If you don't think that if growing this "SPEC" Class won't help get more manufactures attention to building cars to fit and then have them compete against each other on price your wrong. This only helps you as the CUSTOMER.
Making a Spec class like REDS/TEAMC/SPEC does hurt our class.

The lack of Competition between manufactures is BAD.

Manufacturer competing would stimulates business, that’s economics 101
This lack of involvement is only proof, of the state we are in and will countinue to be in. But I'm the Bad guy here..
Every Racer has a voice and opinion, it's your RIGHT as a supporter of the RC industry.
You’re not the Bad guy Tony, Seems that many are happy including myself that the GT class has been kicked again.

I have voiced some opinions and some facts as you and the rest of us have. I hope we don’t keep agreeing to disagree.

If you were attempting to make rules at your local race track I wouldn’t even blink but since it looks like you are attempting to go national is why I have made a few keystrokes.

I hope all that read this realize Tony is trying hard so let’s all help with what we know and what we would like to see.

I happen to mostly agree with what Mr. Desoto has voiced and I don’t run for him just so we are clear.
These rules DO NOT APPLY unless your track uses them. Keep that in mind

Old 09-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TerribleTy
We have a great sportsman crew here no doubt. It takes great amounts of patience for some but they all handle it very well. When we get someone new I like to make sure all their gear is operating correctly and give them the info they need to make it through the day. Once they have a grasp on what to do away they go. One big thing we need to focus better on here is having a drivers meeting before we turn loose brand new guys. They don't know not to stop on the track and how to communicate there are problems or even what a problem is. Giving them the info they need right off the start will make things go a lot smoother.

Experience is everything on the track, .....
This is what its all about!!!
We have to support our beginners, from the beginning, or we'll be racin' open against ourselves in an empty lot somewhere.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by *1speedy
Serpent GT & Nova engines have both EARNED the opportunity to be on top.

Simple solution just beat them fairly & if the product you are pushing ever wins be happy.
Spec racing always has some of the best racers in the country, look at all the national events with Spec they all HAVE highly skilled racers.

Do I really need to drop big names that run Spec?

If you made rules that were all Serpent and Nova this exact problem would exist no different.
FYI “spec” classes are NOT made for newbie’s Sportsman is.

+100%
This statement is in line to include ALL brands including Reds and team C

You want to exclude the most common chassis that most everyone in GT has, yet this is helping the growth in GT?

Makes no sense in any sense of the word
Novarossi has a reputation like Goodyear well trusted. Always one of the best and just a fyi Nova sells prerun too.

So you want these new GT racers to have no problem with break in right? Do these engines come with pre tuned sealed needles too?
Come on Nitro engines ALL HAVE PERSONALITIES. Especially those with lower quality control standards.

Not a sales pitch for Nova I use IDM & OS too.

Spec should be for anyone, looks like Reds/Tonys Spec is for newbie’s.
All in all this is ONLY for tracks that will mandate IGT8F rules.

Hard to get around I agree

Could not say it any better.
Races and Racers will determine its future.

Spec racing here in the east coast is welcome for sure but I don’t see any track even trying this formula. I genuinely hope you revamp your rules.

You are only allowing your Engine because of the simplicity of the break in process. This is Nitro R/C racing isn’t it? C'MON MAN………..

Same would be said if it was Nova only

I see the vision also; I also support Tony as a racer. I DO NOT support the Spec class rules they exclude and contradict what TRUE SPEC R/C RACING IS.
Good news is they can be repaired to include many manufacturers.

Reds/C GT8 long. Makes sense

Sportsman is for the new racer not Spec, many suggestions have been made. Keep it simple is the key.

Making a Spec class like REDS/TEAMC/SPEC does hurt our class.

The lack of Competition between manufactures is BAD.

Manufacturer competing would stimulates business, that’s economics 101

You’re not the Bad guy Tony, Seems that many are happy including myself that the GT class has been kicked again.

I have voiced some opinions and some facts as you and the rest of us have. I hope we don’t keep agreeing to disagree.

If you were attempting to make rules at your local race track I wouldn’t even blink but since it looks like you are attempting to go national is why I have made a few keystrokes.

I hope all that read this realize Tony is trying hard so let’s all help with what we know and what we would like to see.

I happen to mostly agree with what Mr. Desoto has voiced and I don’t run for him just so we are clear.
These rules DO NOT APPLY unless your track uses them. Keep that in mind

You have a right to your opinion and luckily its just that, an opinion. Its Tony's show not yours and the the rules are set. No one is forcing you to do anything, if you dont like the SPEC rules then dont race the class simple as that. Remain in the open class which has not changed. How do you know if newbies race spec or not, there has never been a SPEC GT class so your just speculating based on what you think. My son is a newbie and he is racing SPEC along with two of my neighbors so in that sense you are wrong.
How does beating a Serpent or nova have anything to do with choosing rules? its been stated time and time again the reasons why and you cant tell me that a hard break in is a quirk, thats doesnt even make sense! 4 tanks and race, you mean to tell me you can do that with any nova? thats a big selling point regardless of your OPINION. Nothing you say or lobby for is going to change the rules so just move on, its not that serious! You have 7days to get your sportsman rules set which is what you want anyway, put together what you want and send it to Tony, its that easy!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Default Sportsman class....

Well if there is going to be a "sportsman class" I would imagine it being a stepping stone to "pro/open" then you will see all the long wheelbase cars moving up the ranks eventually from spec......all the spec cars would have to do is upgrade servo/radio electronics and more "dynamic" motor choices as maybe a 6 or 7 port motor limit not to exceed $350.. and make a few brands of soft and ultra soft qualifier shores available...eventually if that is the case long wheelbase cars will end up running in the pro class ?? I have 2 Kyosho cars to run so for now to make my IGT2 spec ready, all I have to do is get the REDS motor and pipe pkg and go race....I'M ALL IN !!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You have a right to your opinion and luckily its just that, an opinion. Its Tony's show not yours and the the rules are set. No one is forcing you to do anything, if you dont like the SPEC rules then dont race the class simple as that. Remain in the open class which has not changed. How do you know if newbies race spec or not, there has never been a SPEC GT class so your just speculating based on what you think. My son is a newbie and he is racing SPEC along with two of my neighbors so in that sense you are wrong.
How does beating a Serpent or nova have anything to do with choosing rules? its been stated time and time again the reasons why and you cant tell me that a hard break in is a quirk, thats doesnt even make sense! 4 tanks and race, you mean to tell me you can do that with any nova? thats a big selling point regardless of your OPINION. Nothing you say or lobby for is going to change the rules so just move on, its not that serious! You have 7days to get your sportsman rules set which is what you want anyway, put together what you want and send it to Tony, its that easy!
Again your keystroke demeanor is less than civil. All you do is make sure you announce you have nothing to do with IGT8F but you defend him like you have something to gain just like Jeff’s buddy you know who.

I have been clear and quoted with explanations, Tony can speak for himself. I have not degraded him in any way just made my points and opinions that were asked for.

My spec roar National Example speaks for it self

I applaud Tony, I hope GT gets unified.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by desotoracing
We believe that classes for GT should be:

Open
open motor but must be .28 or less
3500g weight minimum
150cc max tank
wing must not be higher than body roof (like .12 touring) to keep GT look
max width 310mm
rubber tires only (max tire width 45mm)

Sportsman/Spec
same as Open plus the following rules:
motor: any open motor w/6mm restrictor or any pull/roto start motor (as found in RTR cars)
no pro drivers (pro drivers are defined as any driver that has finished on the podium of any large open GT race or 100% sponsored drivers)
optional: spec tire (track operator decision)

We don't support the Formula REDS class proposed by Tony/Marcus because it excludes beginners from participating.
As a South FL resident, I remember the 1st time I called Desoto Racing for a set of Alpha Tires, I spoke with Paolo, and he really encouraged me to not spend any $$$ upgrading motor/servos at that time (newbie) but to bring my lil RTR GT1 pig to the local track and just race and have fun... : )..After a few track days at Homestead Miami, I got hooked to GT ever since with that mentality and have only them to thank...I think to fix this debate for spec is just add pull/roto start RTR motors to the list alongside the REDS motor pkg...AT LEAST THE RTR NEWBIES on a shoe string budget can race without pressure to spend more $$$$....my .02 cents...
Old 09-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Again your keystroke demeanor is less than civil. All you do is make sure you announce you have nothing to do with IGT8F but you defend him like you have something to gain just like Jeff’s buddy you know who.

I have been clear and quoted with explanations, Tony can speak for himself. I have not degraded him in any way just made my points and opinions that were asked for.

+1
Tired of the degradation of others that have observations and valid points to be heard and not squelched by one kicking and screaming louder and more often than anyone else. What's the point?
Does nothing to help the cause or grow the class.

The Federation should have a written/posted mission statement not just rules of said classes.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

You quoted allot, and your absolutely correct I can and will always speak for myself and the organization I created. It's funny cause I had just talk to Marcus about just not saying anything about IGT8F or the topic anymore. Because he really has no say in any decisions I make and you can choose to believe me or not doesn't really matter.

Your points and opinions are appreciated, for the simple fact that you want to be somewhat involved. Unlike most others and I applaud you.

The simple truth is the IGT8F "SPEC" Class doesn't effect or change anything that has already been established or been going on for the last 3-4 yrs.

If you and said parties involved wanted to be constructive, you all should join forces and create and submit the set of rules you all want posted and promoted. Our just make your own organization, better yet keep submitting rules to ROAR.

But instead your efforts countinue to be, trying to destroy a class that hasn't even been given a fair chance. The racers will dictate what classes thrive and survive. My patience and professionalism has really been tested and is running thin in this whole situation.

The classes are there deal with it. Don't agree, don't run it. SIMPLE.

I have given anyone and everyone a more then fair opportunity to submit your set of rules for the Sportsman class and not one response.

As for the whole Serpent/NovaRossi/Desoto situation, unless you know all the facts, you can speculate what ever your heart desires. But the TRUTH is I contacted them FIRST, before rules were posted, when ideas and plans were changeable. I guess they didn't take me serious, or thought I was ignorant, or not as smart as they are.. Who knows? The only reason they had first dibs on anything was out of respect because they are the biggest supporters of GT. As for Nova engines pre broken in from factory, still waiting on the distributor to respond that was asked 2months ago. Also about using Exceed tires as the Spec tires, still waiting. Like I said unless you know all the facts, let your mind go wild.

It's also funny I get asked questions, and you will always get my response also out of respect because you deserve an answer.
But I have also asked questions, quote those questions..... Oh still waiting on answers...

To the supporting affiliates Thank you IGT8F will continue to grow and will work hard to accomplish our vision.

Last edited by tonylunatic; 09-23-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burgboyz
+1
Tired of the degradation of others that have observations and valid points to be heard and not squelched by one kicking and screaming louder and more often than anyone else. What's the point?
Does nothing to help the cause or grow the class.

The Federation should have a written/posted mission statement not just rules of said classes.
Not sure if you actually been to the site or just read the Class Rules and formed your opinion. But if you read the Home & About pages, it's explains why I even created the site.

As for a mission statement great Idea!! Here's it is:
"to unite all GT8 racers and promote On-Road racing through the GT8 class"

Last edited by tonylunatic; 09-23-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

So everytime someone disagrees with you your gonna throw the Jeff card, that gets old too Just like when Jeff quotes everything said by everyone. Or past history "My spec roar National Example speaks for it self" Look in the mirror bud you sound more like him than anyone to be honest.
So you dont degrade Tony but you continue to harass me. From the get go i have said nothing bad about or to you yet you just love to harass me for some reason. Well Lets just stay out of each others way, keep my name out of your mouth and i will do the same. If you were not banned from Mikes I would see you there so maybe in homestead, if you can make it.

I think all points have been made for all arguments everyone should just pick what they want to run and go with it. See you guys in homestead! Peace out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.