Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by DRRC
dont feed the troll

moving on...
so long chasis, short, both?
what spec motor?
AAAAAAAAH, what a beautiful day!!!

Ok now that the adults can now have a serious discussion, I cannot release too much information but with the possibilities of multiple classes on a national level, SPEC needs to be SPEC with very little grey area to exploit. Spec class needs to be slower , more reliable, more economical and cater to vehicles/products that are already out there but in all honestly cant keep up with the short chassis TeamC or Serpent. Listen guys you have to break some eggs to make an omelette!! Their will be growing pains and as long as we as a group can deal with it together this will exceed all expectations!
On a personal note i have been involved with motorsport racing my entire life and if rules are not kept tight on stock /SPEC classes they die and i think we all know this. Keep in mind guys SPEC class is not for everyone, in the beginning their will be some exhibition runs with upper level guys just to show how much fun the class will be but the class is designed for newbies and guys that truly like spec racing and have no desire to compete with Pro's or even open class racers. With that being said spec is the door to becoming a pro and is literally the first step! run SPEC for a year, graduate to open class (sell your spec ride to a newbie!!!) for a year and then try to become a sponsored pro! Seems logical and everyone gets a reach-able goal!
I for one am very excited, I have an 7yr old son that is VERY good, those that have seen him drive will tell you!! I would absolutely have the time of my life if my boy and i can travel together to a national event , enter two separate classes have the possibility of us both finishing on the podium in two different classes!

This is an exciting time of the year and time in general for GT racing, there are so many things lurking in the underground that you would not believe! I am going to go out on a limb and predict 80+ entries in homestead.

Keep it coming guys, our cancer has been cured so let the healing process begin!
Old 09-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
AAAAAAAAH, what a beautiful day!!!

Ok now that the adults can now have a serious discussion, I cannot release too much information but with the possibilities of multiple classes on a national level, SPEC needs to be SPEC with very little grey area to exploit. Spec class needs to be slower , more reliable, more economical and cater to vehicles/products that are already out there but in all honestly cant keep up with the short chassis TeamC or Serpent. Listen guys you have to break some eggs to make an omelette!! Their will be growing pains and as long as we as a group can deal with it together this will exceed all expectations!
On a personal note i have been involved with motorsport racing my entire life and if rules are not kept tight on stock /SPEC classes they die and i think we all know this. Keep in mind guys SPEC class is not for everyone, in the beginning their will be some exhibition runs with upper level guys just to show how much fun the class will be but the class is designed for newbies and guys that truly like spec racing and have no desire to compete with Pro's or even open class racers. With that being said spec is the door to becoming a pro and is literally the first step! run SPEC for a year, graduate to open class (sell your spec ride to a newbie!!!) for a year and then try to become a sponsored pro! Seems logical and everyone gets a reach-able goal!
I for one am very excited, I have an 7yr old son that is VERY good, those that have seen him drive will tell you!! I would absolutely have the time of my life if my boy and i can travel together to a national event , enter two separate classes have the possibility of us both finishing on the podium in two different classes!

This is an exciting time of the year and time in general for GT racing, there are so many things lurking in the underground that you would not believe! I am going to go out on a limb and predict 80+ entries in homestead.

Keep it coming guys, our cancer has been cured so let the healing process begin!
Amen
Old 09-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default WRC throwback

Originally Posted by koval
Thank you guys,
and yes this is a deltaplastik body,i found it one of the most quality and good looking 1/8 gt style bodies of deltaplastik.
I also like the lancia deltona and subaru (this is some custom jobs i have made for my brushless converted bmt 081)
Love the throw back Lancia Delta Integrale...
Old 09-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

fyi, the "cancer" isn't gone. It's in remission for 30 days. If that doesn't cure it we'll hit it with a much strong round of chemo.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 1/8 GT conversion, specifically 2-speed

Originally Posted by koval
Back to the mugen,
there is some changes to improve the stability and looking of the car such as the wheelbase that now is 330mm instead 315mm and less active caster in the front .For the conversion i use the kyosho igw 008 optional 2speed transmision (fits pretty good in the diff mounts),the rear center cvd was replaced with a wheel cvd and a custom carbon upperplate was made as an upper plate for the two speed additionally some modifications was nessesary into chassis .
I've been prowling this thread for the past few weeks and this post leaves me encouraged. I'm a Durango dnx408 user and I got a second kit used while shoring up my parts. A new 8th scale course recently opened up near by so a GT class has started, and man it looks fun. Which brings me to my point. I'd like to convert my second kit into a GT racer. I've figured out the tires, ride height, body mounts, shell and bumper. I'm sure I may have missed a few more items, but what is racking my brain is the 2-speed transmission.

My first question for you guys is, has anyone tried this on a durango? Next, is 2speed absolutely necessary? How much will it handicap me simply using a single gear?

Next, are all 2speed kits the same dimension? Will they drop in in place of center diffs? On a Durango?

What else have I missed?

I appreciate any help or feedback on this

Marty
Old 09-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by momoyluds
I've been prowling this thread for the past few weeks and this post leaves me encouraged. I'm a Durango dnx408 user and I got a second kit used while shoring up my parts. A new 8th scale course recently opened up near by so a GT class has started, and man it looks fun. Which brings me to my point. I'd like to convert my second kit into a GT racer. I've figured out the tires, ride height, body mounts, shell and bumper. I'm sure I may have missed a few more items, but what is racking my brain is the 2-speed transmission.

My first question for you guys is, has anyone tried this on a durango? Next, is 2speed absolutely necessary? How much will it handicap me simply using a single gear?

Next, are all 2speed kits the same dimension? Will they drop in in place of center diffs? On a Durango?

What else have I missed?

I appreciate any help or feedback on this

Marty
First I would like to say WELCOME!
I have experience converting a Off Road 1/8buggy to GT8, but I converted a HotBodies D8. The concept and procedures will be the same almost on any buggy.

Here's my answers to your questions.
I don't know anyone personally that has converted a Durango.

Yes you should run a 2speed. If you plan on running on larger long straight away tracks and you risk motor damage, because in most cases the front and rear diffs are geared for torque not top end. Handicap you hard to say, but there's nothing like hitting second and getting that kick from the rear!

No 2 speed is same in size, but go with a reliable one. None will drop in, sorry. Here's what needed to be done on D8.

It's easier to leave the front of the car alone, basically use the front center diff holder screw holes to hold front of 2 speed and front cvd fits right in bone stock, then measure were you need to drill rear screw holes.
Cut out bigger gear slot in chassis to accommodate the second gear, then you will usually have to push back the motor mount to line up 2speed gears with new clutch bell pinions. When you do this you may have to dremaling out the slot that bottom of motor sits in further back so motor sits flat. Last step find the new shorter rear cvd to fit from rear of 2speed to rear diff.

*ALLOT OF DREMAL WORK AND FITTING NEED TO GET IT RIGHT*
I really enjoyed building my D8, I used a Kyosho 2speed and clutch bell the new version, Kyosho front body mounts and bumper, put a front shock tower and front shocks in the rear.... A OS XZ .28 and let her RIPP!!

It was nice being one of kind It debuted at the Texas Biggie 3yrs ago. I was still dremaling and getting it built to run during the qualifiers. I ran one tank for practice and started lasted... End up 4 or 5th in the A main after the bump up, LMAO GOOD TIMES!!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

I wanted to convert my Mugen Mbx6 but it was cheaper just to buy a GT
It would be nice to be the only one with a unique conversion but it gets to be to expensive
There are so many choices for Gt right now with many used ones it might be cost efficient to get a gt
But if you want to convert please show is pics I have never seen a Durango converted to gt
Old 09-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
fyi, the "cancer" isn't gone. It's in remission for 30 days. If that doesn't cure it we'll hit it with a much strong round of chemo.

UUUUUGH just ruined my high well we can get a lot done in 30days with no distractions!

And we all know that he cant help himself so keep your hammer poised and ready to strike!

I believe i can speak for everyone........THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:43 PM
jpn
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The GTs are far from being the fastest car on a given track but the feel and set up reactions are very realistic. I love it...

In our local track, ever since we got GTs the other classes have died a very quick death...

We now have 2 classes SPEC & OPEN

For spec it is the motor, body and tires that are controlled
For open, only the tire brand is controlled...the rest are open....aside from the general rule of weight, wheelbase, etc....
Old 09-14-2013, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Just saw this video our good friend Griz1 made of the Racing at COTA in Austin, TX. 2 words.... FREAKIN AWESOME!!
If you watch this and don't get totally pumped up about racing GT8, check your pulse!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7-Y...e_gdata_player
Old 09-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Very cool video indeed!

Why spec anything in open? Especially a brand of tire?
Old 09-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tonylunatic
Just saw this video our good friend Griz1 made of the Racing at COTA in Austin, TX. 2 words.... FREAKIN AWESOME!!
If you watch this and don't get totally pumped up about racing GT8, check your pulse!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7-Y...e_gdata_player
That video is awesome! The cars looked pretty hooked up and everyone was screaming around the track. Kudos to the Heli guy with the Quad, well done some of the best work I've seen for racing!

I'm buzzin! Wheres my bottle of nitro
Old 09-14-2013, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by burgboyz
Very cool video indeed!

Why spec anything in open? Especially a brand of tire?
With Tires here is how I see it. There are certain events in which a sponsor gives a great deal of support thus allowing the event to go forward. If that company is a tire company and they are the major contributor than I feel they have every right to spec their tire. Specing their tire creates exposure to the racers and will build a stronger customer base. So basically all the money and time they put in is for them to gain exposure to new customers and promote new products.

I don't mind using a spec tire but make sure you use the latest and greatest from them. That way we all get to use the new products and again the company gets the exposure.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:54 AM
jpn
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For our race, tire brand is spec cause of the support we are getting from the dealer for the survival of our track, and with all the compounds available from that particular brand it wouldn't be an issue among the racers...

At times we gotta bend to keep the racing going!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Actually .... I read your post incorrectly. Sorry. One of the down sides of trying to post with a phone ...... sometimes you don't read the posts right.
I think your mostly right in what you say .... I say mostly because of this. If a driver wins a race .... is not the driver AND the car the fastest on the day? The fastest car of the day is always the winning car ....
What will really make you think is ...... if you the winner swopped cars with the last placed drivers car and races against him again and wins with this car ....
Who h is the slower car?

BM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.