Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Inferno gt 1 right now the diffs are stock and I plan on redoing them. What's a safe diff oil selection? The track I run is all tight turns no long sweeping turns. No land in between turns just boards. Thanks. Just looking for a round about
Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1966ss
Inferno gt 1 right now the diffs are stock and I plan on redoing them. What's a safe diff oil selection? The track I run is all tight turns no long sweeping turns. No land in between turns just boards. Thanks. Just looking for a round about
10k in the rear diff, then do 30k-60k in the front diff.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The proper diff oils to use depends on what engine you put into your car. If you use something like a OS 21VG, you can probably go 30K front and 10K rear. If you stick something like a RB WS7, you might want to try 50K in the front and 30K to 7K in the rear, depending on track size, track layout, and what you want your car to do entering and exiting corners.

On what you are indicating with the track you will run, you might try 20K to 30K in the front and 5K to 10K in the rear. You might want to use sway bars on your car as well to help in steering and rear traction.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

This is a great questions. I would like to hear what others have learned from changing diff oils.

I have tried from 30,000 to 100,000 in the front and from 6,000 to 50,000 in the rear on my Kyosho GT2. Right now I have 60,000 in front and 6,000 in the rear. I have 200,000 and 300,000 on order now to test in the front diff in the near future.

Here is what I THINK I have learned from my experiments;
- Heavier oil in the front diff makes the car stable but it also makes it push
- Heavier oil in the rear makes the car loose under all conditions (on or off throttle)
- Lighter oil in the rear makes the car push under power but the turn in off power is better
- in general lighter diff oils make braking more difficult and with my set-up make me have to brake more in a straight line before the turn to avoid making the car spin out

The straight cut diff gears (if106 - 43T & IF21 - 13T) are much more reliable than the kit gears and I strongly recommend using them.

The Kyosho diff housing (if103) will allow the 4 screws that hold the ring gear to loosen after you disassemble the diff a few times to change oil and it will need to be replaced. I suggest that you have a few extras on-hand.

When you try a different viscosity, I suggest that you make a fairly big change in order to be able to tell what a significantly heavier or lighter oil will do to the way your car handles. I have found small changes to be hard to notice.

If you change bodies, tires brands, tire shore, set-up, the track you are running on, or if the track temperature goes up, you may want to experiment with diff oils again. I just recently changed bodies from the Corvette to the Ipanema Warrior and this change resulted in my car having more steering now so I am trying different oils again. I plan to go to a heavier front oil.

Lee
Old 05-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
The straight cut diff gears (if106 - 43T & IF21 - 13T) are much more reliable than the kit gears and I strongly recommend using them.

The Kyosho diff housing (if103) will allow the 4 screws that hold the ring gear to loosen after you disassemble the diff a few times to change oil and it will need to be replaced. I suggest that you have a few extras on-hand.
Yes, get those straight cut diff gears!! Shim them properly, keep them greased, and they'll last forever!!

I found that when I went to machine thread screws my ring gear quit coming loose. So chuck those self tapping phillips screws and get some nice fine thread stainless steel or titanium screws for the diff housings.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by C-Trickle
Yes, get those straight cut diff gears!! Shim them properly, keep them greased, and they'll last forever!!

I found that when I went to machine thread screws my ring gear quit coming loose. So chuck those self tapping phillips screws and get some nice fine thread stainless steel or titanium screws for the diff housings.
I had heard that machine screws stopped the problem of the ring grear coming loose but I never tried them. The next time I get into the diff I will put it back together with machine screws and see how they work.

Thanks,

Lee
Old 05-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
I had heard that machine screws stopped the problem of the ring grear coming loose but I never tried them. The next time I get into the diff I will put it back together with machine screws and see how they work.

Thanks,

Lee
Ran mine for 3 seasons without them ever coming out on their own. Definitely worth it. You can always pull your diffs apart to put in titanium diff shafts and put titanium screws in, loss a couple grams. Even if they only do the placebo effect.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asirolli
Hi guys, do you know where I can find this body to buy???

www .amg-mercedes-racer2008.de/modell_modell.php

www .youtube.com/watch?v=L5XQRdxHdzI
There is a Kyosho logo on the bottom of the webpage...is it made by kyosho?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

do you need to start with fresh plastic on the diff case and housing or can you pull the wood style phillips out and put machine screw in?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

do you need to start with fresh plastic on the diff case and housing or can you pull the wood style phillips out and put machine screw in?
You can thread the machine screws into a housing that formerly had self tapping screws. I did this yesterday when I changed front diff fluid to 100,000 and then ran all day with no problems.

Lee
Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Calling all GT's to race So Cal Airtronics Race

AIRTRONICS G.P. HOSTED BY G.L.A.R.C.R.C. jULY 6-8 2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G.L.A.R.C.R.C. will be hosting the 2012 Airtronics GP July 6-8 2012 at the Artesia Transit Center. Thanks to Craig kaplan, Chris Verano, and the staff at Airtronics for allowing us to host this prestigeous event.

We will be running
1/10 nitro Sedan Sportsman / Expert,
1/8 4wd open Sportsman / Expert,
1/5 Scale (body classification dependant on entrys)
R/C Superbike.

Entry fee: $40.00 / Class, additional class: $20.00, R/C Superbike: $20.00

Race Format:
Friday July 6 - Controlled Prsactice, 1 round qualifying
Saturday July 7 -3 rounds Qualifying begins at 9:30am
Sunday July 8 - Concourse Judging + Top Qualifier awards at 9:00am, mains begin at 9:30am

We are confirming sponsors and the flyer should be released after approval by Airtronics, look for it sometime next week. We hope you all can make it, come have some fun in the California summer sun!!

I have recieved a couple of emails asking about buggy based GT cars, how many drivers in this class are interested in participating in the race?. Let;s see here in this thread if we can get at least 5 cars confirmed.

Just thought I pass this on to the GT racers, Last month's KO Propo race had nearly 150 entries and the Airtronics race will be another good race and Glen the track operator has had emails on a GT class.

Just thought I send this info out to the racers to come out and join the action at So Cal's Artisial Transit center and the Greater LA R/C club.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mauimaxx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G.L.A.R.C.R.C. will be hosting the 2012 Airtronics GP July 6-8 2012 at the Artesia Transit Center. Thanks to Craig kaplan, Chris Verano, and the staff at Airtronics for allowing us to host this prestigeous event.

We will be running
R/C Superbike.

Race Format:
Sunday July 8 - Concourse Judging + Top Qualifier awards at 9:00am, mains begin at 9:30am

We are confirming sponsors and the flyer should be released after approval by Airtronics, look for it sometime next week. We hope you all can make it, come have some fun in the California summer sun!!

I have recieved a couple of emails asking about buggy based GT cars, how many drivers in this class are interested in participating in the race?. Let;s see here in this thread if we can get at least 5 cars confirmed.

Just thought I pass this on to the GT racers, Last month's KO Propo race had nearly 150 entries and the Airtronics race will be another good race and Glen the track operator has had emails on a GT class.

Just thought I send this info out to the racers to come out and join the action at So Cal's Artisial Transit center and the Greater LA R/C club.

Sounds awesome! any pics of the track?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by mauimaxx

We will be running
R/C Superbike.

Race Format:

Thanks for the 'heads-up' Mauimaxx...........

Utah gang miss not being able to see you at Vegas.........
Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Check the KO Propo Grand Prix thread for some pics and videos. under nitro onroad.

I'll paste some info, if you cannot view it go to the KO site.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

here is a little video edit from today. Just in case the embed doesn't work, here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9J_-...&feature=g-upl

and.....here's the video from day 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZUBb...&feature=g-upl

time for bed...

Again, not sure if this will allow you to see the video, but for sure check out the KO Propo Grand Prix thread on page 14, 15 and check out the video.

The track is huge, large back straight to wind out your cars and some technical in field, it is a parking lot track, but it's the best put together track you'll find anywhere for sure. Check it out.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
Thanks for the 'heads-up' Mauimaxx...........

Utah gang miss not being able to see you at Vegas.........
What up Jerry, Let Spooky, Brian and the rest of the Utah gang to check it out. Glen the track operator got some Gt interest emails so I figure with that and maybe a few Utah guys, there may be some action for you guys in sunny, cool So Cal.

Go to the KO Propo Grand Prix thread to check out the video of the track, that KO Race was off the hook, great turn out and this Airtronics race should be another good event.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.