Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JLock
Jspeed,

The reason why I re-introduced the LeMans idea is that with so many brands of the IGT-style car on the market, you don't want to exclude racers that might not want to buy the Kyosho car. This way, you can include everyone which will, in turn, increase turnouts, thus having more fun with more competitors. That is suppose to be the ultimate goal, isn't it?
JLock,
Must have taken what I wrote wrong.

In our State Series GT program lets any brand of RTR GT "Buggy Based" chassis car run with a pull-start RTR engine, No centax clutches, no D-Boxes and rubber tires only. Easy rules, although nobody is checking engine internals, but the “Claimer Rule” will put an end to that soon enough.

It's working good here.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sandfan85
Hey R2, I am considering buying a dm1 spec, after seeing them run at the GLARCRC regionals we had here a couple of weeks ago. My question is this; are there any sort of rules these guys are running under or is just "run what you brung". I saw several different motor/pipe combos (.21 & .28). As someone stated in a earlier post, I not interested in buying 2 or 3 $400 to $500 motors. I thought someone had said that they had to be pull start type motors. Anyways if you have any info on some of the rules here in region 12 that would be great.
Here in SoCal and in Vegas, the rules are pretty much 'run what you brung'. You don't need to spend a whole lot of money on motor(s); some of the 'RTR' level .28 motors are plenty fast and there are plenty of inexpensive Italian made .21 engines if you prefer to go that route. You do not have to have a pull/drill start on the motor.
You have a couple of weeks to get your car and head down to gas for the Paris Memorial, we are expecting a large (well at least large for west coast standards) turnout for the GT class.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Garren,

Wish i could make it to the Vegas race, I love that town, get place to party is the Vooodoo lounge on top of Rio

If I could make the race, I'd show up with my IGT2 with a nasty 21 to show everyone why the "run what ya brung" class is like shooting fish in a barrel and a sure fire way to kill off the class.

Have fun, my next race is Kraceway State Series round #3
Old 10-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Jeff,
Since when has the GT class of racing gone to the "regional or national level"? I'm not denying that racers on the regional / national level need multiple engines and a butt load of tires. In Sandfan58 case, he does not need to buy 2 or 3, $500 engines, unless he wants, to race in GLARCRC which is more of a club level racing scene.

Last edited by vadn1; 10-15-2008 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vadn1
Jeff,
Since when has the GT class of racing gone to the "regional or national level"? I'm not denying that racers on the regional / national level need multiple engines and a butt load of tires. In Sandfan58 case, he does not need to buy 2 or 3, $500 engines, unless he wants, to race in GLARCRC which is more of a club level racing scene.
Vad, if you re-read Sandfan58’s post, he said he didn’t want to have to spend big bucks on a bunch of engines. I also think the 'Vegas race should be considered a National event, if for nothing else, out of respect for its founder.

Yeah, I think “GT Open” is stupid. All it does is “open” the door for guys with deep pockets that suck or are too scared to race in 1/8 scale able to make a money war out of what is supposed to be a semi-economical form of on-road R/C racing where knowledge, talent and luck wins races.

Sorry to be so hard on “GT Open” class, but my personal experience is the guys that suck the most have been the guys pushing it and none of them have set the track on fire when they’ve been allowed to race against a good driver with a “Spec” car.

Instead of guys wanting to put the biggest engines in their cars, why not make them learn how to set up their cars correctly and actually learn how to drive the car they have?

Anyway, none of it matters much here in Florida because if the State Series decides to run everyone in a “GT Open” class, it will die on the spot.

The “core” of the program will not spend the time, travel & hotel expense and the money needed to be competitive against 1 or 2 guys running what ever they want. The level playing field of “Spec” is what will grow GT racing and “Open will kill it off real fast.

Hell, some guys are crying about having to buy 3 or 4 sets of different shore tires now on this thread, what do you think they’ll do if they have to buy hard-core engines to make the podium?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I still like the midwest series rules for the class, any rubber tire and your choice of 5 different budget motors, and if your budget motor isn't listed on the rules, you just ask and they will allow it. As long as it doesn't scream like a 9 port on road $500 mill they are pretty open. It is more of a race where the clean driver does the best.

I would hate to see this class run anything more than a $200 motor on any car.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 AM
wwoodruff

Default What about North Texas?

Hey Juan, What if we work together and try to revive this type of racing in the North Dallas area? Somewhere in Frisco, Allen, or the Mckinney. They have a big parking lot at the Dallas Hobbytown that would work also. What do you think? I really want to do this but I cannot travel out of town to races. Hard rubber tires will work well on a concrete parking lot. I am all for stock engine, and just a radio upgrade...

Will

Old 10-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwoodruff
Hey Juan, What if we work together and try to revive this type of racing in the North Dallas area? Somewhere in Frisco, Allen, or the Mckinney. They have a big parking lot at the Dallas Hobbytown that would work also. What do you think? I really want to do this but I cannot travel out of town to races. Hard rubber tires will work well on a concrete parking lot. I am all for stock engine, and just a radio upgrade...

Will
With the IGT car as the spearhead class, I am in for the revival. I like my new-found buddies in Memphis, TN and Jackson, MS, but I would like to stay at home and race locally as well (putting less miles on my vehicles ). Question is will this be done as a separate entity from a hobbyshop or be sponsored/backed by one? ROAR will probably have to be involved because of the insurance coverage factor. We need to plan on gettig together to discuss this further.

Juan

On a side note, did you know that there was a hobbyshop that opened up between Campbell and Frankfort on Preston Rd?
Old 10-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Jspeed,

The reason why I re-introduced the LeMans idea is that with so many brands of the IGT-style car on the market, you don't want to exclude racers that might not want to buy the Kyosho car. This way, you can include everyone which will, in turn, increase turnouts, thus having more fun with more competitors. That is suppose to be the ultimate goal, isn't it?
Look at Mid West Series and Byron National....under the GT class, it is simply saying...all BUGGY BASE GT conversion are allow....I think, that will cover almost every brand from Kyosho to OFNA....the DM1-spec is probably on the "FINE LINE" of that rule. But as long as the chassis is the center 2-speed with 2 shafts going to front and rear gear box design, that is considered the "Buggy Base" chassis...

Of course, when someone showing up with a Mugen MRX4R mounted with some GT tires conversion and with a 9 port JP Modified...that will be totally illegal.

I am seeing at least 10-15 GT racer locally and at each MWS....it will grow. And once they are growing, that will require some RULE. But...I am totally all for the general guildline, not a 60 pages rule book. And the guidline should cover this GT as a ONE CLASS format...not the LeMan 3 different classes like GT GT1 and GT2....etc.

For those who know Trans-Am in electric car, look at their site, it is no ROAR or IFMAR...simply made in USA and their rules are simple and I think alot of tracks in US are adopting that but still, leave each track's organizer to adjust per their own tracks condition...a rule that has room for adjustment per track.

http://www.usvintagetransam.com
Old 10-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

I got my GT2 today it's been a wait hehe
Old 10-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikaR
I got my GT2 today it's been a wait hehe
"Cheers"..
Old 10-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Solara,

What I mean by LeMans-style is have the Kyosho IGT as a class, the IGT2 and a class, the OFNA DM-1 Spec as a class, the Ultra/Ultra II as a class, race them all together but score them in their separate classes. I am not meaning having 200mm touring cars, 1/8th scale Lola-body cars, etc mixed in and all on the track at the same time. My idea is strictly concerning the 1/8th scale buggy-style touring cars from the different manufacturers as not to exclude anyone from racing that may not either have the Kyosho car or want to purchase the Kyosho car (someone that is more comfortable with another brand in the same class). My idea is having them all being box-stock with tire, radio, shock/diff oil changes only (like currently run in many places). It could be the Spec LeMans class. Like I suggested, it is just an idea.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Jlock,
Why don't you introduce the GT class in the SWCS as an exhibition class in the 2009 series, similar to the guys running the Forgass Series? Your traveling would be reduced. Gulf Coast and RCRCNT look like some really nice tracks.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Solara,

What I mean by LeMans-style is have the Kyosho IGT as a class, the IGT2 and a class, the OFNA DM-1 Spec as a class, the Ultra/Ultra II as a class, race them all together but score them in their separate classes. I am not meaning having 200mm touring cars, 1/8th scale Lola-body cars, etc mixed in and all on the track at the same time. My idea is strictly concerning the 1/8th scale buggy-style touring cars from the different manufacturers as not to exclude anyone from racing that may not either have the Kyosho car or want to purchase the Kyosho car (someone that is more comfortable with another brand in the same class). My idea is having them all being box-stock with tire, radio, shock/diff oil changes only (like currently run in many places). It could be the Spec LeMans class. Like I suggested, it is just an idea.
all of the cars use the same tire, same class of motor, just different chassis length and suspension setups, why would you seperate that, in the r/c world that would be like separating each different year of 1/8th scale cars. they are all basically the same.

Does one car have a sure advantage.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sandfan85
Hey R2, I am considering buying a dm1 spec, after seeing them run at the GLARCRC regionals we had here a couple of weeks ago. My question is this; are there any sort of rules these guys are running under or is just "run what you brung". I saw several different motor/pipe combos (.21 & .28). As someone stated in a earlier post, I not interested in buying 2 or 3 $400 to $500 motors. I thought someone had said that they had to be pull start type motors. Anyways if you have any info on some of the rules here in region 12 that would be great.

Since it has just started out here everyone brought something different to the table as in engine but kept the chassis work the same I had a .28 Picco but had problems with so I took my .21 out of my buggy and ran smoother it just didn't have the spank like the .28 and on Jeffrey Lins car he had a Force.28 RTR engine that was good all around the track another driver had a Jammin JPX.21 that was fast.We know in the furture that if this gets any bigger that will split into spec and open but we like the open. To have the speed like a sedan wiht a bigger size in mind looks spectacular and is a whole lot of fun, we're not trying to blow it up into big dollars which the tire factor helped out alot compared to 1/10 sedan racing and buying big priced engines(You can purchase a Picco.28 engine around $220.00 and a .21 for about $250.00and a Force engines sells for about $150.00)and my engines run on standard plugs. And Jeffrey won the race with a Force engine, so only thing I would worry about rules is to have a touring style body with wing attached to the body not the car.And for pipes that was across the table to but I had a Jp-3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.