Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
GT class--buggy-based on road! > GT class--buggy-based on road!

GT class--buggy-based on road!


Old 04-01-2014, 11:10 AM
  #9451  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
Joe Kimble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 892
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Looks like I'll be the lucky one running the only short r8! Thanks Marcus!
Joe Kimble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:36 AM
  #9452  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
Grenade10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 4,702
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Ferrari Body

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...l#post13168089

Body is sold.

Last edited by Grenade10; 04-15-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Grenade10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 AM
  #9453  
Tech Master
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Posts: 1,095
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys, coming from Nitro off-road looking to get into the GT class. Could you guys give some advice on a good car/engine/tires to get started with? Thanks!
masher81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 AM
  #9454  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
Grenade10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 4,702
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by masher81 View Post
Hey guys, coming from Nitro off-road looking to get into the GT class. Could you guys give some advice on a good car/engine/tires to get started with? Thanks!
Really 4/5 options and all will work.

Serpent GT - Best out of the box, fast, many racers running and places to get parts.

OFNA - X3 Gt - New car, less money than Serpent, quick at first race but parts and cars are a little hard to find currently. I'm building one currently

OFNA - DM-1 - Older car, heavy but will take a pounding and there are parts to get it able to run with the Serpent car. Used cars around $200. I can help with cars and set up, what I am running.

OFNA GTV2 / Team C - Good car, longer wheel base but can be competitive

Kyosho - What started the class, still a good option but short cars are a little hard to find. Longer bodies just look good, but don't race as fast.

Engine - Looks like a great GT Engine is Novarossi Ison, 5 port with good power and was set up for the GT class, plus easy on the cash.

Tires - Sweep 40/45/50 slicks or treads all EXP rubber and the slicks for smooth clean track, Treaded for parking lots. Use 40's for cold, 45 most all other and 50's for long lasting or REALLY hot days.

So, look at what you budget would be, where you can get parts and come join the fun Good threads here on RCTech for all the cars.
Grenade10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:31 AM
  #9455  
Tech Master
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Posts: 1,095
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Thanks a lot for the advice. Is the Ison just a P5? Sure looks like it lol.
masher81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:31 AM
  #9456  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
RoketRdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 346
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

You forgot the TeamC GT8 short wheelbase car. Sweeps are good long lasting tires but Alpha's have more grip and turn-in. They don't last as long but perform better. And right now I'm kinda partial to the REDS R5 engine.
RoketRdr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:08 AM
  #9457  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
Grenade10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 4,702
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
You forgot the TeamC GT8 short wheelbase car. Sweeps are good long lasting tires but Alpha's have more grip and turn-in. They don't last as long but perform better. And right now I'm kinda partial to the REDS R5 engine.

I did not put the short chassis Team C on the list as I did not think you could purchase it as a kit in the states. As to the tires, On your track in Houston, Alphas have been better, but the new Sweeps with wide white inserts were better in LA, first race with the new stuff. I'm bringing both to Houston to see.

As to the engines, I have the R5 as well, but have seen the ISON win in heavy competition. Have not seen the R5 do that. I believe the WGT7 engine has won at the Houston track, so the race in 10 days will confirm how they stack up.
Grenade10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:10 AM
  #9458  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
Grenade10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 4,702
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by masher81 View Post
Thanks a lot for the advice. Is the Ison just a P5? Sure looks like it lol.
5 port engine to meet ROAR rules. Question was asked alot in LA, and I'm not sure what the engine was based on. Head is like an off road to help with heat. Someone from Desoto could probably confirm if it is a P5 or not.

I missed the point the first time as well. Question was it a new head on a "P5" engine and not does it have 5 ports ...... LOL!
Grenade10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:10 AM
  #9459  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
T-Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La Center
Posts: 2,682
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by masher81 View Post
Thanks a lot for the advice. Is the Ison just a P5? Sure looks like it lol.
ROAR rules is 5 port max
T-Hawk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:27 AM
  #9460  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
RoketRdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 346
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
I did not put the short chassis Team C on the list as I did not think you could purchase it as a kit in the states. As to the tires, On your track in Houston, Alphas have been better, but the new Sweeps with wide white inserts were better in LA, first race with the new stuff. I'm bringing both to Houston to see.

As to the engines, I have the R5 as well, but have seen the ISON win in heavy competition. Have not seen the R5 do that. I believe the WGT7 engine has won at the Houston track, so the race in 10 days will confirm how they stack up.
Yeah I didn't think about that. There will be tracks where the Sweeps will work better. In Houston they don't have as much grip or turn-in that the Alpha's do but they're still a good tire here. Havent tried the new ones yet but I've been using the Sweeps for practice. When did they release the new news? And yes the TeamC short wheelbase is available in the US from distributors like RCShox (Marcus Williams). Also a shop down in Brownsville that sells them. The R5 has won here in Houston at the hands of Tony and Marcus. So far after 3 gallons I'm pretty impressed with it. Packs a lot of punch for the money.
RoketRdr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 AM
  #9461  
Tech Master
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Posts: 1,095
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by T-Hawk View Post
ROAR rules is 5 port max

The P5 is 5 ports.
masher81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:10 AM
  #9462  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
Grenade10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 4,702
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
When did they release the new news?
Tires got very hard to get mid Feb as they used up all the old stock. Started shipping new just before the Airtronics race late Feb/1st of March.

So if you puchase new tires now, it will be with the new insert and tire. I believe IGT hobbis should have some at this point.
Grenade10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:14 AM
  #9463  
Tech Master
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Posts: 1,095
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Are the vppro tires any good?
masher81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:40 PM
  #9464  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
Grenade10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 4,702
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by masher81 View Post
Are the vppro tires any good?
I purchased the "Racer" deal with a set of both and ran them at the last Heart of America race in Lincoln, NE last year. They seemed to be pretty consistant, wore well and would be a great spec tire, but If you are looking for all out grip, the new Sweeps or Alphas are probably what you want. (not sure about the GRP and few others)
Grenade10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:44 PM
  #9465  
Tech Master
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Posts: 1,095
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
I purchased the "Racer" deal with a set of both and ran them at the last Heart of America race in Lincoln, NE last year. They seemed to be pretty consistant, wore well and would be a great spec tire, but If you are looking for all out grip, the new Sweeps or Alphas are probably what you want. (not sure about the GRP and few others)

Thanks again for the advice. Would they be ok for a practice tire?


Also, since i know NOTHING about onroad in general. What is tire prep like?
masher81 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service