Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
GT class--buggy-based on road! >

GT class--buggy-based on road!

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Old 09-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TerribleTy
I have a very tough time liking anything on your spec set up. I understand you want to have slower cars and that's cool, makes sense for Spec. The one motor rule is terrible in my opinion. You shut out way too many people by doing so. Then you throw in the long chassis only which heavily sides with the Team C. You monopolize the Spec to what you two promote Team C and Reds. Not for me I'm 100% Novarossi and 100% Serpent yet neither are on the radar. Hard for any of us with the Snake to look at this in a positive way.

This is exactly what our local "spec" racers do. We build a class of what we have and build an advantage to our corner. Then everyone else has to buy buy buy to get in.

I dunno gents I dunno Look at it this way, how would you guys feel if a new GT class poped up and no flat chassis were allowed? this is the situation alot of us are in with this.

I'm torn really... I like the idea of a heavier car, longer wheel base and a set few motors. The Tire choice is completely off the wall, most of us around here haven't even heard of those.

Seeking understanding here gents... is this just for your local crew or are you trying to get everyone involved?
You might not know or forget I owned and ran one of the first two produced Cobras ever made for 2yrs,I bought Rino's car. I'm also the owner of LRP that makes option parts for your Cobra, I'm a Serpent/NovaRossi dealer,(I assume). I have and countinue to support every brand.. you call your class spec, what's specific about it?

The class is there for who ever wants to run it, simple.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I'm thinking about building a DM-1 Lwb set up for the Spec class at the last Heart of America race in October to show the local racers. Tony contact me about the engine and tires. Marcus, I'm going to need the body we talked about.......

Yes I know, stock or spec parts only. No Darkside stuff.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10
I'm thinking about building a DM-1 Lwb set up for the Spec class at the last Heart of America race in October to show the local racers. Tony contact me about the engine and tires. Marcus, I'm going to need the body we talked about.......

Yeah, send me that stuff too
Old 09-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One issue I can see with the spec effort is when a customer buys a GT2 rtr Kyosho car and wants to race, only to be told he now has to buy a different engine and pipe as well as tires . Why not make the GT2 car the spec class car and not have to buy anything to race. Maybe a set of spec tires.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by spooky 1
One issue I can see with the spec effort is when a customer buys a GT2 rtr Kyosho car and wants to race, only to be told he now has to buy a different engine and pipe as well as tires . Why not make the GT2 car the spec class car and not have to buy anything to race. Maybe a set of spec tires.
Or you Tell him as you do now, sir you run in "Sportsman" until we graduated you
He doesn't have to buy anything else.... Or do yall not tell him.. oh buy some Sweep or Alpha tires they work Great??

If wants to run SPEC he follows SPEC rules, it's a choice, a alternative an option NOT MANDATORY.

You seem to forget that by nature everyone will "promote" what he/she uses. When yournnewbie buys your Kyosho, do you really tell him sure run the tires that came with it!!! LMAO

Come on fellas let's be realistic, I'm only creating more racing that's all.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Btw just got Official Confirmation

New major supporters Texas Southwest Championship Series, will now include both IGT8F Classes "SPEC" & "OPEN" in their series racing and Texas Biggie Event.

Our Annual GranPrix race@Gulf Coast Raceway in November will also include IGT8F "SPEC" & "OPEN". So your in luck Mark bring both your cars!!

Old 09-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10

you better hurry on the body , i only have a few left!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Tech Regular

I have a very tough time liking anything on your spec set up. I understand you want to have slower cars and that's cool, makes sense for Spec. The one motor rule is terrible in my opinion. You shut out way too many people by doing so. Then you throw in the long chassis only which heavily sides with the Team C. You monopolize the Spec to what you two promote Team C and Reds. Not for me I'm 100% Novarossi and 100% Serpent yet neither are on the radar. Hard for any of us with the Snake to look at this in a positive way.

I dunno gents I dunno Look at it this way, how would you guys feel if a new GT class poped up and no flat chassis were allowed? this is the situation alot of us are in with this.
+1

Tony/Marcus: How can you claim to be trying to grow GT when right off the bat you propose a new class that outlaws most racer's existing equipment and requires them to buy a new engine, pipe, chassis...? In addition, you promote a so called 'SPEC' class that just so happens to REQUIRE all the brands that you are sponsored by?

Rules should not contain brand references. Rules should be length, width, height, weight, etc. Generic measurements that all/any manufacturers can then conform to and track people can measure during tech.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Champion

This is exactly what our local "spec" racers do. We build a class of what we have and build an advantage to our corner. Then everyone else has to buy buy buy to get in.

I'm torn really... I like the idea of a heavier car, longer wheel base and a set few motors. The Tire choice is completely off the wall, most of us around here haven't even heard of those.

Seeking understanding here gents... is this just for your local crew or are you trying to get everyone involved?
You are exactly right!! Serpent and Nova rule the open class, TeamC and REDS will rule the SPEC class! There is no Serpent long chassis (yet) and the nova engines are impossible to break in easy, REDS are 2 tanks at idle,4 tanks at 80%/200* and race!
Like you are 100%nova/Serpent I am 100% TeamC/REDS! You cant have SPEC racing with choices especially engines. Tire situation is simple, there are 4 shores of Alphas and no way to tell any of them apart,even more options with SWEEP tires,wheels and inserts. The VP-pro company is supporting IGT8F directly, two shores and two different colors of wheels, easy to tech, last long and will work in all weather including wet, seems like a no brainer to me! Rules are set guys, they are in ink and will be run as is at least for now.
So now we have brought two more major companies into the GT market and both companies are SERIOUS about making an impact. Just like newbies are the foundation to racers, MFG competition gives us all better products in the end! Monopoly stunts growth , always has always will.

And just to clarify Tony and I are team mates via REDS and Merlin not IGT8F, i just happen to agree with what he is doing. IGT8F has been online since February this is not something that just popped up over the last few weeks.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by spooky 1
+1

Exactly, if you want to grow the hobby and promote GT then all RTR cars under $550-600 should be allowed to race in a spec class. Use a restrictor (6 or 7mm) to further equalize the cars if need be. We all need to think of how to welcome everyone not push them away with exclusionary proposals.

A good idea would be to allow the RTR engines (with pull start) to run unrestricted and if a racer replaces/upgrades the engine then he must run the restrictor. That would create an even playing field without penalizing the person who has already made changes to their car.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by desotoracing
+1

Tony/Marcus: How can you claim to be trying to grow GT when right off the bat you propose a new class that outlaws most racer's existing equipment and requires them to buy a new engine, pipe, chassis...? In addition, you promote a so called 'SPEC' class that just so happens to REQUIRE all the brands that you are sponsored by?

Rules should not contain brand references. Rules should be length, width, height, weight, etc. Generic measurements that all/any manufacturers can then conform to and track people can measure during tech.

Isnt this the exact reason why you guys dont want to support the class? Cmon guys Serpent/NOVA/Alpha already rules the GT market why not let some other manufactures in the picture?

So if the class were to be cobra/Nova /Alpha it would be ok I am sure right?

There are a thousand ways to go against this but what i am confused about is the fact that YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RUN THE SPEC CLASS AND CONTINUE TO RUN OPEN THE WAY IT ALWAYS HAS BEEN. This class is not for the advanced racer, not for Paolo, not for Spooky ,not for Tony and not for me!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Been following the thread and I can see both sides to this.
But from what I'm reading, this "Spec" class is not a "Sportsman" or "Beginner" class. I mostly run off-road and I liken this "Spec Class" to the 17.5 blinky classes. For example, at my local track there's 3 main classes of 2wd buggy, Pro/Expert, Sportsman/Open, and the Stock 17.5 class. I never run 17.5 because I don't like to limit my speed and it can be more challenging to drive. Just like how I would probably never run Spec because I don't like to have a lot of restrictions on what I can and cannot run. If I were to race I would run in the open or sportsman class.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
You are exactly right!! Serpent and Nova rule the open class, TeamC and REDS will rule the SPEC class! There is no Serpent long chassis (yet) and the nova engines are impossible to break in easy, REDS are 2 tanks at idle,4 tanks at 80%/200* and race!
Like you are 100%nova/Serpent I am 100% TeamC/REDS! You cant have SPEC racing with choices especially engines. Tire situation is simple, there are 4 shores of Alphas and no way to tell any of them apart,even more options with SWEEP tires,wheels and inserts. The VP-pro company is supporting IGT8F directly, two shores and two different colors of wheels, easy to tech, last long and will work in all weather including wet, seems like a no brainer to me! Rules are set guys, they are in ink and will be run as is at least for now.
So now we have brought two more major companies into the GT market and both companies are SERIOUS about making an impact. Just like newbies are the foundation to racers, MFG competition gives us all better products in the end! Monopoly stunts growth , always has always will.

And just to clarify Tony and I are team mates via REDS and Merlin not IGT8F, i just happen to agree with what he is doing. IGT8F has been online since February this is not something that just popped up over the last few weeks.
Your intent just went from improving the GT world to selling products. You just lost interest. If these were quality products you wouldn't have to eliminate the Novas and Snakes for them to make an impact. You are creating a monopoly to fight Serpent and Nova. You just said Monopoly stunts growth. If you want to knock the snake and Nova down, put out a better product! And no I'm not a sponsored driver
Old 09-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Isnt this the exact reason why you guys dont want to support the class? Cmon guys Serpent/NOVA/Alpha already rules the GT market why not let some other manufactures in the picture?

So if the class were to be cobra/Nova /Alpha it would be ok I am sure right?

There are a thousand ways to go against this but what i am confused about is the fact that YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RUN THE SPEC CLASS AND CONTINUE TO RUN OPEN THE WAY IT ALWAYS HAS BEEN. This class is not for the advanced racer, not for Paolo, not for Spooky ,not for Tony and not for me!
You are missing the point. A spec class should not have brand requirements. It doesn't matter who's or what brand. Brands should not be in the rules. We need more racers not less. You are excluding people, not opening the door to people. That is bad for GT.

If you say Spec is:

long wheelbase
6mm restrictor (or some other simple engine rule)
37xx weight
etc.

That's fine. Simple to tech and everyone is allowed to participate.

BTW I'm not against the spec tire idea as long as the track is allowed to choose the tire for the event. That way tire manufacturers are allowed to play. Like electric racing.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by desotoracing
+1

First I'm curious do you not want or require your drivers to promote your brands in the best interest of your company?

Second for the last two years, I have ran Serpent became one of your dealers, supplied and promoted your brands at all events and personally pushed your products just as passionately as I am about IGT8F. So now you question my intention to grow GT8? Come on... at your Novarossi Challenge early this year @GulfCoast-Raceway was I not the one organizing all the racers not just GT BUT ALL CLASSES, to come take the group photos.. I even used your phone at times to take pics. I told you my plans of organizing IGT8F and growing the class, you said you would support. Hmm

It has already been established that their is a distinct advantage running a short chassis versus a long. The current OPEN Class has proven this. Your products and brands dominant 95% of the entire GT class now and will countinue too. The Serpent is a top quality product.
From my understanding is you wanted me to add and promote a"Sportsman" Class, well I agreed and it's on my site. If you tell me what rules you want posted, they will be there.

So according to your logic of "fair to all brands" the short chassis already has its own class.The entire current CLASS. Where no long chassis runs.
So to promote a Long chassis class, "SPEC" is a No NO? Help me understand..fair for whom?

To Address everyones issue to why the brand's picked for "SPEC" the long chassis rule was already finalized while I was still running a Serpent short chassis. The motors from Reds come pre lapped from the factory, so they are very easy to break in, to not discourage newbies from Nitro all together. The tires were announced since last November and are great for multi surface being treaded, come in only 2 compounds, and very easy to tech. The long bodies are the only bodies that look like real GT cars.
Again the Spec class is an Option NOT MANDATORY. The class it's self will determine it's growth by the numbers of participants.

I'm only promoting racing. I Don't make cars, motors or tires, I am one guy with a passion. Everyone keeps putting Marcus in this as well, he has no vote in IGT8F it was something I thought of on my 23+hr car ride coming back from Homestead still HIGH from the awesome time we had there. Marcus and I drove their so of course ideas were exchanged. But I am the sole owner of IGT8F.

I have not asked for anything for anyone or any company showen on my flyer and will countinue to promote all races, brands and products.

You make up your mind on what class you fit in or want to race in. The races are being created for you the racer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.