Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
GT class--buggy-based on road! >

GT class--buggy-based on road!

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Reply

Old 05-19-2011, 01:49 PM
  #6166  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
bobbyblaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,565
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pit-racer View Post
Cool , he knows where I live!

i like that one...but on the real serpent should be taking money and bring out this car ...if any changes need to be made hell i buy the updated car
bobbyblaze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:37 AM
  #6167  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Tabushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chile - Southamerica
Posts: 3,029
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Guys,

This is for a friend in Peru.

He is using a DM SPEC with offroad .21 engine.

The thing is that, based on what he is explaining me, it seems that the 2 speed setting springs get warm/hot and softer after couple minutes of run so at start the shifting point seems perfect but after couple minutes it starts to shift early and early as the springs gets softer ...

Any tip to solve this ??

thanks in advance guys ...

Pat
Tabushi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:48 AM
  #6168  
Tech Addict
 
Clete Landefeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Linn, OR
Posts: 632
Default

Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
Guys,

This is for a friend in Peru.

He is using a DM SPEC with offroad .21 engine.

The thing is that, based on what he is explaining me, it seems that the 2 speed setting springs get warm/hot and softer after couple minutes of run so at start the shifting point seems perfect but after couple minutes it starts to shift early and early as the springs gets softer ...

Any tip to solve this ??

thanks in advance guys ...

Pat
Keep in mind that the tune on the motor will change the shift point as well.

IF you are rich, the motor takes longer to get to the RPM to make it shift...So as the car warms up my shift point is too slow...as the car comes up to temp at say, 170 degrees... the car shifts perfect. In short, make sure you are at operating temp before you make adjustments.

there is a hole in the 2nd speed clutch bell rotaate the shaft until you see the set srews,(2) back both off EVENLY..SMALL amounts.. VERY SMALL... Turn in to make is shift later, Out to make it shift earlier....

I hope this makes sense.. I am sure there is a Youtube Movie about this someplace...
Clete Landefeld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:50 AM
  #6169  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Tabushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chile - Southamerica
Posts: 3,029
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Clete Landefeld View Post
Keep in mind that the tune on the motor will change the shift point as well.

IF you are rich, the motor takes longer to get to the RPM to make it shift...So as the car warms up my shift point is too slow...as the car comes up to temp at say, 170 degrees... the car shifts perfect. In short, make sure you are at operating temp before you make adjustments.

there is a hole in the 2nd speed clutch bell rotaate the shaft until you see the set srews,(2) back both off EVENLY..SMALL amounts.. VERY SMALL... Turn in to make is shift later, Out to make it shift earlier....

I hope this makes sense.. I am sure there is a Youtube Movie about this someplace...

Im clear about all you posted, and thanks ... but the thing is that, there exist some harder adjustment springs ? ... i think that the stock ones, tend to get softer after 15 minutes of racing ...

cya

Pat
Tabushi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:51 AM
  #6170  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 251
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

[QUOTE=Clete Landefeld;9140090]Keep in mind that the tune on the motor will change the shift point as well.

IF you are rich, the motor takes longer to get to the RPM to make it shift...So as the car warms up my shift point is too slow...as the car comes up to temp at say, 170 degrees... the car shifts perfect. In short, make sure you are at operating temp before you make adjustments.

+1.
triple7s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:57 AM
  #6171  
Tech Addict
 
Clete Landefeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Linn, OR
Posts: 632
Default

There are aftermarket springs and chutch shoes (Aluminum).... I have not used either as of yet.. I am new to the car as well...so I am still on the stock ones... We tested for 30 min straight last weekend.. Just to check tires and temps.... the car seemed fine.. But our track is very large and it not shifting as much as you might think... maybe 6-8 times a lap..

Good luck... share what you find out..I am interested to hear the feedback.
Clete Landefeld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:20 AM
  #6172  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 442
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
Guys,

This is for a friend in Peru.

He is using a DM SPEC with offroad .21 engine.

The thing is that, based on what he is explaining me, it seems that the 2 speed setting springs get warm/hot and softer after couple minutes of run so at start the shifting point seems perfect but after couple minutes it starts to shift early and early as the springs gets softer ...

Any tip to solve this ??

thanks in advance guys ...

Pat
I don't beleive that to be true. The spring and shoes will take a set, but after that your engine tune is going to affect the shift point more than anything.

If after a couple of minutes your shifting early, it's because the engine has warmed up and running leaner than when you started. Set the shift point after after the engine tune is consistent (during practice of course.)
williamw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:08 AM
  #6173  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,003
Default

I also notice that the shift point seems to change the longer I run.. Mine actually seems perfect earlier rather than later - so once I'm at 250F or so it's shifting too early.. At 200ish or even cooler it's perfect.. Could this lead to problems with shredding spur-gears or CB bearings?
Herrsavage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 AM
  #6174  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
mosaics12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 429
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

anyone know a pros and cons of usin a D8 tank? its a clunk tank.
mosaics12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:24 PM
  #6175  
Tech Elite
 
Jspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: America!
Posts: 3,513
Default

Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
Guys,

This is for a friend in Peru.

He is using a DM SPEC with offroad .21 engine.

The thing is that, based on what he is explaining me, it seems that the 2 speed setting springs get warm/hot and softer after couple minutes of run so at start the shifting point seems perfect but after couple minutes it starts to shift early and early as the springs gets softer ...

Any tip to solve this ??

thanks in advance guys ...

Pat
Pato,

If its not a tuning problem, check the size of the springs against new ones, maybe they're wore out or have lost spring tension. Just another idea to check. good luck
Jspeed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:44 PM
  #6176  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Tabushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chile - Southamerica
Posts: 3,029
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Pato,

If its not a tuning problem, check the size of the springs against new ones, maybe they're wore out or have lost spring tension. Just another idea to check. good luck

Thanks ... as this is for a friend i preferred to come here and share the query.

Im pretty sure is not a engine tuning related issue, is only about the 2 speed systems, specifically on springs ...

Jeff, do you know if exist some other source for this little springs that are more resistant to temps ? ...

thanks !

Pat
Tabushi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:48 PM
  #6177  
Tech Elite
 
Jspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: America!
Posts: 3,513
Default

Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
Thanks ... as this is for a friend i preferred to come here and share the query.

Im pretty sure is not a engine tuning related issue, is only about the 2 speed systems, specifically on springs ...

Jeff, do you know if exist some other source for this little springs that are more resistant to temps ? ...

thanks !

Pat
Maybe check the 1/8 Serpent, Mugen or Kyosho springs. Is also possible that a hard 1/10 scale spring might work too (must be from a pro-level car, ok). Just have to size them up against stock DM1. Good Luck
Jspeed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:21 PM
  #6178  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (48)
 
gashuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RcVille
Posts: 5,230
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mosaics12 View Post
anyone know a pros and cons of usin a D8 tank? its a clunk tank.
Clunk tanks usually are for off road. Being that your chances of being turned over are greater.
gashuffer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:38 PM
  #6179  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
Gary NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 1,157
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mosaics12 View Post
anyone know a pros and cons of usin a D8 tank? its a clunk tank.
No cons. The D8 tank is excellent, and inexpensive to boot.
Gary NJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:21 PM
  #6180  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (48)
 
gashuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RcVille
Posts: 5,230
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Got my Warrior in the mail today!! Still have to finalize some trimming.

gashuffer is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service